TKR Lavender's getting a new left knee for Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Dulcimer Diva :kittykiss: How have you been nice to hear from you . Hope you are doing well. Pacing myself but trying to get out for even just a little trip each day nice to get back to a little more normal . Went to a park in our city today lovely river running through it paddle boats to watch and feed the geese and ducks got to see their new little families nice breeze not too hot just perfect really enjoyed it. Hope you have a wonderful week Holly:yes!:
 
Hi, Holly! The staff here is very good about encouraging us to at least go out to the patio for fresh air, and there are supervised walks every other day to a little park about a block away. Family visits and short furloughs are also allowed--even to home for a few hours. (I didn't want to raise my cats' spirits only to let them down when it was time to go back here). I'm really hoping the Medi-Car that takes me to & from my OS' office tomorrow lets me linger in the lobby long enough to enjoy a cappuccino and maybe a pain au chocolate. Haven't had real espresso or cappuccino since the day before my surgery (the machine downstairs in the ice cream parlor dispenses the fake sweetened and flavored gas-station vending machine stuff).
 
Today was really nice . Left home around 11am and stopped in to see my Mom we and then went to our favourite park. It was the first place that I wanted to drive when I got the ok but didn't get time till today packed bread for the ducks and geese and sat along the water just enjoying the water and the sky and time together fresh air nice breeze not too hot. Five families of geese and one duck all in different stages of growth from fuzzy yellow to a little bigger. Stayed maybe an hour and went home will go back through the week appointments next week but maybe go back after them. Leg is still a little sore and tight told lots of scar tissue but my spirit is higher and feeling like it is so much better Holly :dancy: :flwrysmile: :friends:
 
Hi Dulcimer Diva hope you can go home soon and sure you will be happy to get back to your own home. I am sure that the other people really enjoyed your music and it made you a little more relaxed to be able to make your beautiful music for them. My youngest brother was involved in a serious accident at the factory where he worked the year that he was supposed to be getting married and had to pospone their wedding for a year. He worked for a comapny that made the transformers that are used by hydro companies etc and just as he was leaving for the day had worked overtime to make extra for the wedding the track above him in the department he passed through gave way and he was pinned under the transformer case they had major repairs to do on that leg and the thought he would loose it ended up with more surgeries and plates and pins etc to put back together when you mentioned your love for playing your instruments it made me think back to the day that my brother 23 at the time puchased a guitar and took lessons made the best of the worst and know how beautiful his music is plays a number of stringed instruments and although one leg is a little shorter and needs to have shoes made for him for that he is living a normal life works has two boys who now have each learned to play one the keyboard and the other the drums. I am sure that you bring a lot of pleasure to people with your special talent for making music and that with that wonderful music you will find yourself back to getting better and better each day. Wishing you all of the best and a quick trip home Holly:tada: :friends:
 
Today is our 32 anniversary going out for supper having a nice day. This morning we took my Mom for an appointrment at the doctor having roblems breathing and dizzy heart trouble and doing tests to see why then off to my massage . I think this is a great idea. It is done with the idea that you should never have more pain then you came in with and less when it you leave the massage. He checked my upper quads notsure of the terms but he said they were pretty relaxed checked the knee area and said that the rounded part of kneeskin was loose and flexible wen to the bottom below theknee and told me that was where he thought the problem was . He asked me if it was painful and I said that was whereit hurt felt it was tacky paper and the glue was stuck to my bone. He said that was what it actually was scar tissue if not there leg would probably bend easier. He gave me a little extra time put heating pad on my leg and left for a few minutes then he rubbed and pushed and did other stuff telling me that if hurt he would stop never to let it become painful. He explained the trauma that a replacement caused and said just go easy don't force it . He had me turn over and asked about my back he helped me last visit and not really sore any more and explained how the leg effected that place on my lower back. He moved my leg almost giggling vibrating a bit and started to slowly bend my legwhile telling me tell me if it sarts to hurt not to let it become painful. He visually measured my leg and said it was about 80 . Measured my unoperated leg and said about 95. Told me that the plan was to relieve pain and that sometimes the emphasis on achieving a high bend is out of the reasonable zone. He said that the bend I have is just maybe 10 degrees from what is usually expected and could live quite comfortably that way may increase but expectations are some times the cause of people feeling defeated. He said don't let it take you over. I am enjoying this actually looking forward to my appointment such a positive treatment such positive and encouraging time money well spent He said that the left leg had enoughbend for me now and if it was replaced do remember there is a chance that the limited bend may jusst be the way. Lots of damage did a job that required use of heavy equipment lots of standing job 38 years all standing on cement floors. I did not leave in pain and explained that the amount of pain that we experience during this recovery is more then most expected. He had diagrams showing the leg muscles and bones and explained how some thing work felt very comfortable and he asked if I was going to have surgery on the left knee and I said not sure now after the difficulties with this leg. :spin: He suggested that maybe if very gentle massaging was done ealy in the healing very gentle it would help with the scar tissue he did not run down pt just said that hard to do pt if the scar tissue is hold on the knee so tight might help reduce the pain early on and relax the leg more . Talked about how manipulation might effect the knee and he said it would tear the scar tissue and may have chance of forming more scar tissue.:) He is very relaxed and his approach is to keep you pain free. Has a handle on the same methods as bonesmart said no pt or massage should ever be painful don't take pain killers before he says like bonesmart if you need pain killers then the approach is to aggressive. I feell better came out to talk to my husband and I and I asked a few more questions feel more positive in good hands think there will be a big rainbow at the end of this long tunnel won't happen overnight but know now that it will . I also appreciate that the questions I ask are not tossed aside as silly he tries to answer them so much more feeling of involvement Hope everyone is well Holly:happydance:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Lavender's getting a new left knee for Christmas
goes a long, long way!! So glad lavender, that you have found someone who listens and is helping with your problem. Happy that you really feel that know there will be a rainbow at the end of your storm.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] Lavender's getting a new left knee for Christmas
 
Hi Bottomshollow and thanks so much. Just hoping for the best and think if it can happen I am in good hands with doctor, massage. my wonderful husband. and all the support I have been given at bonesmart Thanks so much Holly:angel:
 
Hi Puffin :kittykiss: Hope you are doing well and things are getting better for you. Hope this is a step in the right direction at least it is worth a try. Wishing you the best Holly:cheers: :flwrysmile:
 
Hey, sweetie, I think it's time to change your thread title---hardly applies now. When you think of something you'd like, just tag me with it. and I'll gladly make the change for you.
 
Hi Bottomshollow Talked to my husband and we thought change to I am starting to love this knee it that too long any suggestions thanks so much for all you have done for me almost thought Holly and her knee are bonding not sure. :friends: :thankyou: should be positive title even though not bending it is becoming more part of me trying to be kind to it.k :thankyou:
 
Hi not sure how do I tag someone . Holly Thanks :happydance:
 
to tag someone you type a @ and then type the user-name directly afterwards (no space) and when you post the reply the user name will be blue and it will be sent to the user's alerts
 
[Bonesmart.org] Lavender's getting a new left knee for Christmas
Got your post without a tag---I read them all. Your title has been changed----I like it a lot!!!!!
 
@ bottomshollow Hi thanks so much for changing my title wondered about asking if it could be changed lately. I have decided that this knee and I are going to work together and I am going to appreciate that it does not grind now. Talker to my family doctor today he is a positive man and he asked how my knee was I was having my 3 month checkup with him. He asked how things were how I found walking was it easier was I having pain. A visit to my family doctor is a positive experience he makes you feel at ease like a good friend feel he cares. He looked at me a smiled when I mentioned the bend was still tight bend might improve he said oh certainly it will be only just over 2 months still early relax. I told him about bonesmart he was impressed that I had been involved he asked about pt and when I mentioned the pt being cancelled for now and massages instead he said pt was probably far too aggressive. I doesn't seem that my doctors agree with the aggressive methods I am lucky. Thanks so much again I like the new title too Holly :thankyou: :spin:
 
puffin Hi and thanks for your help. I must have put a space in my message to bottomswollow so didn't show up blue hope this is going to work ok hope you are doing wonderfu Puffin and thanks again :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
Lavender, just stopped by to say hello, in someone else's thread you mentioned going to Mary Maxim's. My husband took me to Port Huron on the 4th to go for a walk, and I thought of you. I hope you were finally able to make it, I didn't stop, was afraid I would buy more yarn, which I don't need. Hope you are doing well, and am very curious about the massage therapy. I am wondering if that would help with my muscle pain and the weakness in my leg. Take care,
 
Hi Cindy I know what you mean it is very hard to go to Mary Maximsandbuy something my weakness at this time is cross stitch just love it and have a sweater to make my husband bought me a kit that iI had been looking at for my return home after surgery need tostart knitting it want it for fall. No we didn't get to Mary Maxims as the day we were going the car was in for it checkup and did't get it bak in enough time to make the trip. Our Mary Maxims in Ontario has a senior discount day every month on the first Tuesday 20 percent off wanted to go when the discount was on planning to go in August diriving will be even easier and will have time to make a llist out. Just love doing needlework knitting quilting and stuff. I am finding that the massage is making my leg a little more pliable just noticed over the last few days that the area down near the bottom of my scar is not as tight and the massage guy said that the goal was to tryto break up scar tissue and it seems to be getting a little better. I find the massage is less stressful and although the 45 minutes is spent he really works the area around the scar and does it within the idea that no pain not to let him go to the point of pain. I can tell he is doing it gets a little uncomfortable but was told they only advise this once a week skin gets a little red he applies a heated pillow to warm up skin and then works on the muscles etc. He explains as he goes what is where and how it works and what he is doing and has helped with questions as he goes. He was impressed that I was a member of bonesmart was impressed that a site like this was available he said a very positive connection to people that understand. Nice to see that all of the pt and massage people are not causing pain. Not sure if this would help if you can find someone who does the massage the way he does it might help. He suggested the massage idea next time if I find the courage to go through this again. He said that if I started after the staples came out and very gentle massage would maybe help with scar tissue rather then the aggressive pt which he agreed could have caused it. I could tell he was not trying to run pt down but did understand the fact that knee replacement surgery was major . Hope it helps more going back on Thursday actually look forward to it as it seems to be a positive step and he is very positive and encouraging said don't let the leg take you over it will happen patience and be kind to yourself don't let anyone push to point of pain just like bonesmart.:yay:
 
Hello lavender,
:goodpost: I am in my 5th week after surgery & I can honestly say it gets better every day :egypdance:
Keep up the good work,
Diana :SUNsmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom