Guest viewing is limited

TKR Lavender's getting a new left knee for Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldn't get comfortable the night of the day that my leg bend backwords on the exercise bike at pt. Had to take one of my pain killers and that helped. Woke up next day really stiff but not as much pain. Over the weekend I took tylenol but for some reason the leg is stiff but no where near the pain I have been having didn't think that day would ever come. I am now starting my seventh week and what was said is happening other members were saying that I might see a difference at the 6th week and I hope this stays so much more comfortable then the unbelievable pain up to this point. I am finding that my knee seems to feel like a hinge that is needing a bit of oil but is actually starting to move. I am trying to bend it when I walk but have walked stiff legged so long my body probably needs time to understand that the damaged knee is not there anymore. The swelling is actually going down a bit and the top of my leg above the scar is not nearly as swollen can touch it without the pressure feeling. I am going to have a blood test tomorrow for my blood sugar and then to pt. I am hoping that with her help I will be able to move it a bit more. I am anxious to start driving but can't till the bend improves it will be cheaper to drive. Feeling today like things are hopefully going to get better. Still tender achy but today not unbearable. Just have to watch tomorrow that I keep an eye on the exercise bike :beg: and not relive the backword pedal disaster again:gaah: I might just be having a good few days but how nice it feels to finally get some comfort and sleep. Wishing everyone a good day and hope you are not having discomfort and pain and thanking all of you for all of the wonderful help and advise and for just being there and caring and listening. :flwrysmile:
 
Today is Fathers day the first without my Dad but he is near me and my Famlly I know because I just know. He wanted me to walk easier and I feel that he has been with me all the way. He died of kidney failure and heart disease but walked amazing right up to a few days before and at 85 he was truly amazing and very much loved. Holly
 
Today I went to my pt appointment.:kittykiss: My husband had a doctors appointment across the road from the clinic so the cab dropped me off first. I was an hour early so the pt decided to start me early and placed a warm moisture heating pad on my knee we did a few different exercises one where she looped a soft belt around my leg and placed it under the bed and then over my shoulder I was pulling on the belt helping my leg to go back a bit and I controlled how much pressure used. :bicycle1: It didn't hurt as much cause when it did I could release it. She measured my leg and today I gained 4 degrees. Even if it doesn't stay this way it felt nice to make progress. I rode the exercise bike only pushing pedals back and forth didn't relive the last bike disaster. :dancy: Today the health care centre called and said that they wanted me to come in for an evaluation they have had me on a waiting list since my last hospital visit and had at that time a four week waiting list. :ok: The hospital pt is covered free and my pt is paid with my drug plan billed and sent in for rebate. Not sure how long the hospital pt would run for. My new coverage will start in July and will be enough to pay for the month of July three times a week. I would like to try the hospital but I am getting comfortable with the girl that is doing my pt and feel like we are making progress. I am waiting for the healthcentre to call me back and want to ask questions about how their pt works how many times a week and how long each time and then decide. The problem is that the drug plan coverage will only last so long and don't want to turn the health care centre down if it means going backon a waiting list when my plan runs out.:egypdance: I think this pt is helping me and she is actually gentle makes the visit count told to push till discomfort but she does not seem to believe in causing pain. I was really pleased today and she told me that I had done very well words of encouragement are really nice. Vitamin E cream is really working on the scar seems to be healing nice.

The lady doing her pt beside me said she had never had any problems during her recovery and I told her that my bend was coming along slowly the pt Aubrey said that we should measure our own and that no two had the same results and said that my progress was good and that it takes time she is someone that is not trying to make us all fit into the same mold. Feeling a little sore but very positive. Think I would like to continue with the pt I am having not sure what to do don't really want to change pt . I have really found bonesmart to be a wonderful place to be a part of and find it nice to read all the posts and feel that I am in really good company. It is nice to exchange common feelings and read about others interests how lucky I am to have found this amazing site. Thanks for all the support and encouragement and smiles Holly :bicycle1: :flwrysmile: :friends:
 
Woke up today and decided that I would call the health centre back and book an assessment apointment. Did not get an answer yesterday but someone answered the phone today and I am going for a visit on Thursday afternoon.:spin: My pt lady had mentioned that if the hospital did call me it might be an idea to pt in both places this would also give me a place to have pt when my coverage runs out .

:dancy: I feel good today and will see what they say when I have my evaluation. Really like my pt lady but it can get expensive and could spread the cost out. I have been wanting to visit our car she is parked in the parking lot behind our townhouse thought today I would go for a little longer walk and at least sit in her, turn the motor on and see if I can reach the pedals. :cheers: I managed to back onto the seat and swing my legs around so far so good. I sat for a little while and decided to see if I could slowly back her in and out of our parking space have been told that the brakes could lockup if not driven and it has been 7 weeks since my surgery just went slow.:kittykiss: My brother took me to the hospital in our car the day my staples came out and my other brother drove her our Rav 4 so much easier to get in and out of( Millie or as my husband calls her Buddy )to his home while they were cleaning our parking lot 2 weeks ago but just wanted to sit in her and get connected again.

I am not okayed to drive yet as the bend is low but sure lifted my spirits to try a little bit not far at all. Scrapped our previous car 9 years ago and two years ago decided the time had come and bought our car and up till that point she was on the run visiting myDad at the home 1 hour away and caring for my Mom have missed the freedom of just picking up and going. I have very little pain now only a little after physio not begging for pain pills anymore just tylenol during the day and a pain pill before physio or before bed if needed. Really doubted that the day would come that I would feel comfortable again and not be in agony but I think it is actually happening and it feels wonderful.:happydance:

Just hoping to get more flex and each day a little more improvement and positive feeling starting to return. My left leg needs to be replaced as well no cartiledge it is cracking so much more now and has done a great job during the healing of my right leg. :yes!: After surgery I said no way no more surgery but maybe now seeing that this is working out I will be less scared to do it again Hope that you are all doing great and that you will have no more pain. Holly:tada: :thankyou: :angel:
 
Glad to hear things are looking up a bit for you. Yes, you will want to wait to drive until you can bend well and also have the strength in the leg to brake quickly if you have to.
 
:kittykiss: Hi Kneeper hope you are doing great. It was a beautiful day here and the sun was out but nice soft breeze really comfortable. How is your leg doing and how are you. Feeling so much better almost back to normal. Enjoy your week Holly :)
 
Yes, isn't it great to get outside, particularly when you're recovering?
I took advantage of the great weather yesterday to do some gardening (mostly weed pulling :( ). My unoperated knee protested, but the new (2 years old) one did fine. I still get some achyness at times in the soft tissues around the knee, but that may be my fibromyalgia.
 
Hi Kneeper :) Can't believe the way the gardens are doing this summer. Our garden has really taken off. We bought a number of roses from a garden centre up at our nearby mall they are called New Dawn this year they have grown way up over the top of our front fence and are just covered with buds they are white and some bushes pale pink. :dancy: Worried at first when the aphids first :flwrysmile: :friends: appeared but all seems to be fine now. Our columbine flowers usually makes about 3 flowers and this year crazy covered with about 20 flowers and more buds they are yellow with purple. Makes you feel nice just great. Nice to hear you are doing well and hope you enjoy lots of nice days in your garden. Really nice to receive your post. Holly :puppysmooze: :kittykiss:
 
Today I went to day 5 of my pt at the doctors clinic. I told her that the hospital had called me and that I would still be staying with her till my plan money ran out. She uses a warm moist heat pad to start the pt and has me pulling my leg back with a strap over my shoulder and under the talbe to my ankle it is attached very loosely I can gauge how hard I putt the strap and decide when enough is enough. :hairpulling: She then did pressing on my knee it hurt oh boy but after she put me on the exerciss bike and then practicing walking without my cane. I am still trying not to favour the leg but it is hard to do. During the time that she was pressing on the knee area she measured me and from the last visit I had at that point gained another 7 points slow climb but I am now at 82 degrees. She gives me a little time between exercises still not sure of the rocking on the exercise bike but she said this was the best day for the bike I have had. I see the doctor on Tuesday and will only continue pt till the Rom maybe 100 degees.:egypdance: I was walking around our townhouse today had visits from neighbour and her beautiful little dog Jack he is a black pomeranian mix very gentle didn't jump up they seem to really understand sat and let me pat him and it was a nice feeling. I met another neighbours of ours and her little dog Tito and she commented that look at you you are doing really great and said that she thought it was amazing that this could happen after such a major surgery. :spin: It lifted my spirits well the weekend is here so I do not have to do pt till Monday. I am planning to sit in our yard or the little playground area beside us and enjoy the feeling of relaxing without pressure. Hope you have a great weekend comfortable and pain free Holly :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
I am told to press on the scar and push deep rubbing up and down the scar to break up scar tissue I am supposed to do this for 5 minutes at a time. My scar ends up very red and sore. I just wondered if anyone else is doing this. I would think that the pt is wrong but the surgeon came in to pt the second day and pressed his thumb on the scar and did the same thing difference is that the way he did it it did not hurt. Feels like they have a rough spot on their finger and very sharp prickly feeling. Is this common. Do you ask questions when you are with the therapy people and surgeon thought this was good to do. I am told by pt she doesn't understand why I am concerned i think it is my leg and if I am paying for pt I should be able to ask if concerned. Much easier to ask bonesmart friends they have the answers from experience pt has probably never had any injuries maybe doesnt understand or have the answers. Hope you have a great painfree day. :flwrysmile: :friends:
 
Today my lower back has been really sore think I am getting an ingrown toenail very sore. I have been trying to get more active went to pt yesterday 45 minutes she really tries to help with my movement the pt can get pretty panful she is trying to help me get my bend. I tried to stand on my right foot she wanted to see how long I could balance and had me trying to do it without hanging on to the equipment beside me. Not supposed to walk with walker just cane but would prefer I walk with nothing. I can do this at home take my time and pace but still limp told that I need to stop limping and that I have to forget myleg is new. I don't think that is the problem just find that the lower back is very sore now getting pains up outer side of my right leg into my back. I couldnt handle it anymore so I told my husband that I was going to lay on our bed and see if it calmed down.I took tylenol as I am only supposed to take the morphone when absolutely needed and know if I do take it willnot be able to get refill. Have only taken 12 since the 5th of June and am going to ask him what he suggests with the intense pt as it takes the day to get over it. I am scheduled to go to both the hospital and the pt on Wednesday must be crazy but don't want to cancel the hospital pt as I might need it when coverage runs out. Just wish I could do this on my own and exercize by walking and regular moving but know the doctor won't approve. Things that I will discuss with him on Tuesday if time and at that point maybe one of the pt places will be cancelled. Have had very little pain over the past few weeks but it is starting up again. I can pace myself with the walker and practice the walking feel confident and can go furtherdidnt think I had a problem with walking till she said the cane had to go. It seems that the days are filled with going places trying to improve movement and getting tired of it no time to just do what you want. Called by imaging centre need a mamogram. have to go to doctor get a blood test husband needs same.Wonder why you can't get it out of your mind but it how can you. Felt more positive till of all of this started again .I have been re reading all of the articles and information about swelling etc and they are very inspiring these started me off feeling more comfortable and renread tehem over when getting frustrated. Everybody is great and Josephine is really wonderful has such a calming intelligent way of looking at all of it. We are lucky to have her . Holly :friends:
 
:friends:
Sorry to hear about your frustrations with the PT - is there any reason you have to go? Could you not do excercises at home and slowly build up the walking.

Here in Sweden we get no PT - just a sheet of exercises to be done in the first 6 weeks to gently work on ROM - although sometimes it does feel a bit strange to have no idea where I am regarding ROM as it has not been measured since I left the hospital and will not be measured again until I get called for my 6 week physio assessment.

When it comes to walker/cane - I think it all depends on what feels safe and normal. If you are not ready to give them up then you will not walk properly. The other issue that many PTs do not consider is that we were all in different places before the TKR and had different levels of physical disability so it may take longer and may need more practice. But do not feel pushed into giving up the walking aids before you are ready - the last thing you want is a fall at this stage.

Do you have access to aqua therapy? I found warm water training was excellent for the muscles before my surgery and without fear or falling

:kittykiss:
 
Thanks for all you input. I'm about 3 1/2 weeks post op (surgery May 30, 2013) and I was wondering a lot about ROM. Right now I'm @ 90 degrees / 5 degrees and wondered how I was doing compared to the "normal", which I now realize there is no such thing! I did use the CPM machine for the past 3 weeks, and that seems to have helped. Now, I'm going to follow the advice of this thread and take it easy on myself! I have found that the NuStep machine, along with swimming / floating in the pool is very helpful for ROM - but I am careful not to "push" myself so far that it takes me to long to recover. If, in the morning my knee is angry/red looking, then I know I've done to much; if however it's simply stiff in the morning and no real redness/tenderness, then I know I've done my exercises, and my NuStep/Pool therapy just about right. I simply get up in the morning and ice my knee, then I walk around a bit, then do my stretches. Then I'm off to the YMCA to do my NuStep and get into the pool. I do look forward to having my ROM over 95/100 so that I can get back on my bicycle (or the indoor spinner); I love to road ride and I do indeed miss the rides with my buddies.
 
Hi Puffin How are things going for you. I think it is great to know your Rom but only need it for the doctor. I think you can tell how you move without knowing the numbers kind of encouraging when you see change especially when it improves but if it wasn't for needing approval for driving I would just continue on my and do the wlking type of exercises on my own.I find that she manages to get it moving and measures and tells me how much rom I have but then when I go home too sore to do what I want Love to go to the park in the city where I live and take our lunch and sit along the river feed the ducks and geese and talk and just enjoy the weather and the beauty of the park and the ducks , Canada Geese and sea gulls and talk to Jim my husband and people passing by.I hurt my leg at work the job I did before the business closed was very fast paced and heavy pulling merchandise onskids and I hit it on a pump truck one night when covering a shift and never the same after. Originally I went for 8 weeks after work in the morning and had pt but the problem along with my leg was believed to have started in my spine. in one of the discs in my spine.:rotfl: I am now finding that the cyatic nerve area is very painful and this is here the original problem started. I live in a townhouse and have access to a swimming pool that is included in my rent. It opens this weekend and would like to try but not sure if I could use the ladder to get out if the leg is not bending properly.The pt at the hospital rehab centre measured my left leg which is also needing a repacement and had me put it back under the table she said it only measured 77 not sure how that could be when the right which couldn't go under the table measured 78.:what: I had difficulty walking on both legs before surgery and I am determind that somehow even with the aid of walker or cane for the first little while I will get back to just living as comfortably and active as I can wI didn't go through the pain and discomfort to live sitting back and watching. Your posts and replies are a pleasure to read and I am sure that you would be very nice to visit if you lived closer. Have a wonderful day Puffin and thanks :happydance: Holly :kittykiss:
 
Holly,
I think this is the first time I have read your post. Nice to meet you. I can hear the discouragement in your posts. As you can see from my signature, I have had RTKR and LTKR. (I am very overweight..as an aside). My RTKR as I look back on it was fairly unremarkable. It was painful, I suffered from lack of sleep, and all the "normal" things that go along with TKR. My range reached 90. Dr. was pleased. Then a year later, I had LTKR. Surgery went well, not infections, no real problems. From day two post surgery, I noted that I had no quadriceps strength and was not able to lift my knee. I improved quickly, but I am now three years out and still have issues with my Left knee and quadriceps strength. When I went to the OS this year, he measured both knees at 110.

All this said, to say that recovery can be a long road. I can tell you that each day you will improve. I can live with the lot I have been given. I continue to try to strengthen and improve my functionality. You are going to make it through your PT. Speak up if it hurts. PT should not hurt you. Do not focus on the ROM... it is different with all of us. It will continue to improve over the years. Give yourself grace. You are a hard worker.

Have an awesome day
Barb
 
Hi Biowheels Nice to read your post and you sound like you are doing great. :happydance: I have learned that the best place to come for advice, support and friendship from people who know what they are talking about is this bonesmart site. I also really enjoy swimming and usually purchase a pass for the provincial parks to go swimming. Last year we were pretty busy with my mom and dads health issues so we didn't go but next year can't wait. I also love riding my bike and although I don't enjoy the pt bike yet I am sure that I will when I get back a little more bend. Spent the summer three years ago before we bought our car riding for miles and loved it. It was our way of getting around even brought a 18 pound turkey home in my carrier. Best suntans we have ever had being out in the sunshine. I am going to check and see about the pool we have in our townhouse area and hope that I can manage the ladder coming out. Just love swimming and told that the water makes it so much easier to exercize. Hope to hear from you again and best wishes for continued success.Holly :friends: :puppysmooze:
 
Hi Barb I was nice to receive letter and so nice to meet you. I feel very lucky to have the ppportunity t meet so many nice people on this forum and you are a great example of how to get through this experience. Ihave been told that I am still in the early stages of this process and feel that is right. I am proud of the accomplishments that I am making but find that we are all supposed to make the same progress by the standards set but until was told that my bend was not enough for this stage in my own heart was pleased with myself. I am getting sore again but was really thankful for the 2 weeks or more that it slowed down and felt more relaxed more flexible in the way my body moved less pain not taking near as many pills as I had . I have been sleeping through most of the night over the past few weeks and had very little trouble getting comfortable starting to sleep on my side and felt great. This weekend my leg and lower back have been pretty sore but is not been as common maybe doing a little too much but know it will get better. Well I am going to go out and look at our garden it is outdoing itself this year climbing roses are going crazy so many buds and blooms everything is growing big and like a burst of energy. Then going for a walk down our path to the townhouse at the end and around the back to visit our car. Lots of nice neighbours all offering kindness and hope to see them on the way around. We fhad a number of visits from friends in our yard and its nice to know how many really care. I am very lucky . Then come back sit on the steps outside and work on some cross stitch which is my way of relaxing. My husband is amazing and is a treasure. Have a wonderful day Holly :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile:
 
I was told to do scar massage too (part of my post surgery binder of handouts from the doc). Like you said, you need to be firm enough to do some good, but not so it's really painful. As with the exercise, uncomfortable is ok, :yikes: is not. Put some lotion on your hands and it feels kind of good.
 
Hi Kneeper :) I am going to the pt today and see what she says I know she is just trying to help me and get my leg back in shape. I am noticing that the scar looks better still a little red at times but now have a bump that looks like a blister towards the bottom not sure why will show the doctor tomorrow.The weather here is very hot heat warnings 32 degrees and lots of humidity. :shocked: Well today going to pt this morning and then walk around our garden and patio and probably come in and turn an the air conditioner. Hope you have a great week. Holly :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
Hi everyone well I am in the third week of my recovery. My surgery date was April 26 and I am really glad that I have this wonderful place to be part of and read letters from people who are having the same experiences that I am. The pain is more than I expected it to be and I am dreading the visit from my pt this week. She is focused on getting my knee to bend 90 degrees and said that it is very common in my stage of the process.

The outer side of my right knee which is the one that the replacement was done is very numb but sore she said that if I moved more this would not happen. The pt told me that I should take the palm of my hand and rub the right side vigorously with it. I wondered if this is something that someone else had as well.

I find that after her visit my leg is worse and takes the rest of the day to try to calm it down. This is truly a place of inspiration and has made me feel so much less alone in the way that my leg and knee feel. Thanks so much to all of you you are wonderful. Holly
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom