TKR Lavender's getting a new left knee for Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi well I am now in the fourth week of recovery and finding my kneestill very stiff. I can walk alright without much pain but need a walker. I have been reading other posts and some are able to ride a bike I hope that my progress is going well. Finding it hard to still get 90 angle and having trouble sleeping. I ran out of oxycodene today and not sure if the doctor will renew the precription or give me something else. I am trying to keep positive and know that each day I seem to progress along with something that I can do a bit easier then I have but getting a little down. Wonder when the pain starts to tapper off.How often should I be elevating my leg trying with a pillow rolled up at the end of the couch lifting my leg onto it does this sound right have been slipping up on the elevating. Thanks and have a great day Holly:whistle: :yikes: :gaah:
 
I'm behind you with everything lavender im just 10 days out - so know very little about how progress should be.
It's great that you have a little progress each day. It's going to get better still that's for sure. Hugs.
 
Hi Holly, I'm at 3 weeks today, and I'm like you, still very stiff, walking with sticks, and can also walk unaided, I still have pain especially when my pain relief is nearly due, I'm taking a slow release, 2 a day pain relief + night time I take an over the counter Analgesic/Calmative called Mersyndol x1 and that gets me some extra sleep:sleep: , it relaxes you so as you can sleep. I do ice during the day, but not elevating, just laying on the couch with legs up, I do some exercises, and go for a walk ouside. Some days are good others not so good, but I guess that will be the norm for a long while. I'm still glad I have had both my knees done at once.
Take care
Lee:friends:
 
I used pillows from thigh to ankle--keeps your leg fairly straight. I made them into a formation so they got higher toward my ankle--a gradual incline. (Since I didn't have enough bed pillows, I used the cushions from my loveseat as the lower level and then regular pillows over that to get some height.) I'd elevate most of the time in between getting up and moving around and doing your exercises--that helps keep the swelling and stiffness down.
I would think at this stage you will likely need something for the pain. Be sure to call your doc.
 
Hi everybody Well I am very lucky to have my husband for such wonderful support ajdn he is definately very encouraging also thankful to have all of you great friends to share with your helpful advice and kindness. I actually slept last night just got up twice to use the bathroom. Have been putting my leg elevated propped a bed pillow slanted from top of couch arm down to couch seat and find that I am not so uncomfortable after doing this. I feel a little more positive today and feels nice to have the pain let up a little bit. Waiting fpor the surgeon to release my prescription to the pharmacy but using tylenol for now. Still need the walker to keep me steady without it the right leg seems to clunk. It feels nice to see some improvement even if it is getting off the couch without the tightness. Wishing us all a quick recovery and lots of pleasure using our new improved knee.j Thanks for all of your help Holly
 
Last edited by a moderator:
If getting narcotics is an issue with your ortho, another option is to have your regular family doctor prescribe your pain meds
 
Hi Mary i think I am going to follow your suggestion and call my family doctor tomorrow. It is very difficult to get through to the surgeons office and I always get an answering machine. She said that they need 2 days notice for reissuing the medication but the pills allotted only lasr for 5 days. I am now on day with out them and have been taking tylenol. The secretary had sent the message alone to the surgeon but he has not responded yet so I am just going to continue on with tylenol give a bit of relief tiered of calling four calls so far and still no result. Tthanks for the great advice Holly
 
Hi everyone I was very excited to realize that all but one trip to the bathroom to take my medication I slept through the night this was the first night that I slept very much.:dancy: My leg is still very stiff not bending much more but the pain is getting easier to handle,

I find that my left hand and right foot are feeling asleep and trying to do foot pumps and finger flexes to help. Have been trying to find things each day that are improoving and decided that today I am getting up off of the couch with less fear.:yay: I love reading all of the wonderful posts from all of you amazing people and the chance to share experiences and support is very inspiring. :console2: I have had a few moments of feeling a little lost missing my Dad so much as he passed away on the 1st of April this year and feel that he is helping me through my recovery want to make him proud he struggled with kidney disease and dementia and other things at the end and he was so brave. :boohoo: I am so very lucky and have so much support need to value every improvement find that my leg seems so much more relaxed after a shower . :spin: I appreciate all of you and the kind and caring way that we all get through with each others support Thanks to all of you Holly:angel:
 
Hi I meant to say my :flwrysmile: right hand is almost numb sleepy off and on not my left hand the right knee is the knee that I had replaced thanks Holly
 
Last Fall at age 60 I experienced my first great loss (my mother). It's hard to describe, and yes, they live on in our spirit. Other times the world seems unbelievably empty. Continued good progress!
 
T hankyou Josephine you have really given me some good advice and your kind words mean so much. My Dad was 85 and had diabetis that they were starting to try to get under control. He was physically amazing and he could still walk really well but they wanted him to use a walker very well and he rode a bike for hours very missed by all of us finding myself missing him even more over the last few weeks and know he is looking after me. Holly:angel:
 
:bicycle1: Hi Everyone hope you have a wonderful day the sun is shining here and I am going to try a walk outside to see my garden it looks beautiful from the window and just want to go out the front door and walk past the front fence. I worte that I had a difficult time with the pt and decided to do it on my own but never the experience in the hospital during my stay for the two days was very positive. My surgeon and the specialist that kept track of my medication were wonderful.

They visited me every day and showed concern for my well being. During my stay at the hospital it was discovered the next afternoon that one of the other patients in my room was severly contagious they came in and moved the other three of us right away to other rooms. I was in quaranteen and my family had to wear gowns and gloves to visit me. My husband arrived in my room with a flower arrangement that he had bought in the hospital gift shop and my brother and his wife and daughters brought me a dish with llittle violets and other flowers they brightened my day.

I was well cared for and the morning after around 1 am I called the nurse for help to use the commode. I felt like my right leg was made of spongy rubber and very scared that I would fall. The nurse parked the commode beside my bed and made me feel like she had me safe started to get really sick and missed the commode she didn't make me feel bad and ensured me that everything would be ok got me mouthwash to make my mouth feel less yucky and helped me patiently back into bed.I was taken care of and treated with respect I was afraid that I would not make it in time and was afraid that some time I would mess up the bed assured that this was easily fixed they would just change the sheets if this happened. I was treated gently by the hospital pt and told that my leg was doing great. I was fed well and pleasantly surprised that although the pain was unreal like nothing I have ever had it was unbearable I was ok.

The day following my surgery the nurse came in to my room with a pain pump and told me that I could push the button when the green light flashed I was afraid that I would get too much morphine so careful about how much I used it and the nurse said you are not using this much can use it more don't put up with the pain and both of the doctors that were taking care of me were upset that I had been moved didnt like that I was exposed to what ever this woman had they scrubbed down the room and took down the bedcurtains and I was told that I may have to stay till I was cleared of not having whatever she had. The doctors visited me the day that they found my room had been changed mentioned that I was going home possibly the next day and said that since I would only probably be staying till the next morning and being that myroom was quaranteened would I like to go home that night. I said yes wanted to go home and be with my husband and so my brother picked us up and home I went. :cry:

The only negative experiences that I have had is the pt, :cheers2: feeling like I want to cry often and hoping that the end result of all of this is a leg that I can use normally again.. Wishing that we all have a wonderful recovery Holly :whistle: :yawn: I forgot to mention that the chance to participate in this wonderful place is helping me to deal with the whole thing. The kindness and support that all of you have shown me is unreal and I throughly love being able to share with you all. I can't express how this is helping my healing both mentally and physically. So much positive advice from people who realy know what they are talking aboutThanks so much Holly :cheers:
 
I am wondering if this pain will ever go away:gaah: .I am really trying to stay positive some days are not as bad as others but just want to feel normal. I have been trying to get some fresh air and so over the last few days I have been going outside with my husband sit on my walker and look at our garden.:flwrysmile: We live in a town house and the front yard is all garden with a small patio. I have my own walker which I use in the house and my mom gave me my Dads walker after he died to use for walks.:sorry: I find it easier to walk then sit and even lay down so I have been walking in front of our house to get a change of scenery but I am really sore today and my leg is still not comfortable sitting for very I didn't think I had moved to much yesterday but I woke up today and my body said different feeling sick to my stomach just wish I could cover up at night but the place where the scar :beg: is so sensitive just needed to talk. My husband is very understanding but the only ones who truly understand are people who have went through this surgery Thanks to all for your support have a great day Holly:tantrum: :thankyou:
 
Just wondering if it is ok for the knee area to feel very warm. hot. I use ice almost constantly through the day but wake up and theknee is very warm is this normal.
 
Yep. Your knee might stay warm for several months. Mine did. Think of it as feeling the healing process going on. :wink:
 
:egypdance:
Hi I am trying to whisper this so that my knee doesn't hear me.:SUNsmile: I am afraid that I might be tempting fate but for some strange reason I am feeling really calm over the past day . It is the first time that I can sit relaxed since the surgery and think that things might be starting to get better or maybe just for this little while but I am starting my 6th week and today I managed to get off of the bathseat without feeling like I was going to fall. :rolleyes: I haven't been able to sleep at night any way but on my back but yesterday with some time I managed to get on my side and thought about my leg lifting and it actually lifted up about a foot off of the bed this is something that I have struggled with and finally it worked. :whistle: Last night I went to brush my teeth and my leg actually let me raise it maybe 8 inches off the ground. I have been reading other posts from members who are doing amazing things and wondered if I would ever move even just a little more and still having trouble with my flex it is still stiff and sore but yesterday I was in the kitchen just passing through to wash my hands and found without thinking that I was squatting down a little to pick up a towel I dropped haven't been able to do this before.I haven't been doing much around the house my husband has been really good to me and want to help more but he says to take it easy till I am more rested. :cheers: :friends: I wrote to bonesmart after my surgery after writing to my cross stitch forum from another member who had knee replacement surgery and she assured me that the concerns that I had would be in the safe caring hands of other people who understood what it felt like to have this surgery and they were right bonesmart friends have made a difference. I will need to have my left knee replaced as well and I will have a better idea from the start that no aggressive pt. The kind advice I was given is why I am feeling much better and sharing feeling with other knee replacement patients. Such a positive place to heal. :thankyou: I am thankful that I was advised not to let the pt hurt or push me and that time would heal without aggessive methods. I have an appointment in two weeks at the hospital with the surgeon for a checkup and was worried that he might not be happy with my flex but now I think it might be getting better and hope all goes well. :friends: I love doing needlework knitting and and at this time cross stitch is my favourite I find my self waking up excited and making the most of what surrounds me has given me a new appreciation for even the little things and although I know this might just be a little lull in the recovery I feel good. Have a wonderful pain free happy day Holly :bicycle1: :angel: :flwrysmile:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Lavender's getting a new left knee for Christmas
Keep those positive thoughts coming, lavender. Six weeks is often a real turning point for kneesies---so just keep thinking that it will continue to get better and better---and it will!

I have learned to put type into pics for avatars and have found another one for you that has real personality---and I think it's perfect for you. Hope you like it and will want to use it.

[Bonesmart.org] Lavender's getting a new left knee for Christmas


Take care, keep up the good work, and keep us posted. We care.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom