TKR Lavender's getting a new left knee for Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Bottomshollow I really love the new avatar not sure how to place it in my space but would really love to use this one thanks so much it is really pretty:yay: :thankyou:
 
Hello Kneeper thanks so much for the help with elevating it is working and thanks also for the encouragement:tada: hope you are doing great Holly:angel:
 
Hi bottomshollo:kittykiss: sorry I spelt your name wrong added a w. Wanted to let you know I really appreciate and love my new avatar. I really love dragons and fairies and this is a perfect one for me. I found the instructions that you gave me for the other avatar you sent me and tried to use them it worked and what a pretty avatar. Thanks so much again Holly:giggle: :yahoo: :tada:
 
Actually my user name is Bottomshollow the "w" is on the next line if you check beneath my current avatar. Glad you like it---has so much more personality than the first.
 
Glad the elevating is working!
 
:friends: Hi Well I am now in the sixth week and will be seeing the surgeon that did my surgery on Tuesday June 18th. I am getting uncomfortable and hope that he will not have to force my leg. If I sit on the walker seat I am finding it hard still keep my leg bend straight down it wants to slide out . I have been doing the exercises that I was given and have managed the leg raises without too much problem other then my leg feeling very heavy the exercize that I was given where I am suppossed to tighten my knee and press down is not too much of a problem. Manage to do the foot up and down but still have problems with the leg slides.

:umm: Laid on the couch and tried to bend knee up but it still only raises up maybe 5 inches below my knee cap. I am hoping that he won't be upset that I discontinued the pt but hope that the measurement will be ok. We have 14 stairs which lead up to our bedroom and the bathroom and I have managed with a cane to do these ok but still can't get what I think I need in the bend.

Is it possible that the leg won't ever bend to the 90 degree angle comfortably. I have one more day of oxycodone left 5mg/325 acetominophen and called today asking if I should be taking these still still have pain and reordered if I should. I also asked if she could tell me how long the waiting period for driving is and she said that I need to walk with a cane comfortably before this can happen. I have tried to park my walker a little bit awayfrom me so that I can practice walking without it but not ready to go totally without it. I find that walking is the most comfortable position to be in for me and sitting upright the worst.

I am feeling a little abnormal today as my Mom had hers done 2 months before me and is gardening for 7 hours straight walks with a cane does everything and I am asked why mine is still not ready why not driving her bend came right away could put her leg behind the chair and doesn't understand why I need pain medication During the time of my Moms recovery I was busy driving her to appointments my husband did her shopping and held her arm to steady her.

She is wonderful but I am having a day today feeling discouraged and a little scared. My husband is very postitive and keeps telling me that I should be proud and tells me how much of an improvement he sees each day and I know I have improved. I read other posts from fellow posters on how quickly they have managed to return to normal being positive but today is just lots of crying. This is the second leg for my Mom. My Dad was in a nursing home just before Christmas and died there in April we made the hour trip each day so it was important that my Mom get up and go quick my husband did the errands and I drove I to see my Dad My Mom needs help with errands and I cant help her and she says she doesn't know why it is taking so long I am sorry that I have made this post so long just a blue day Holly:thankyou:
 
I received a call from the surgeons office today he wants to see me tomorrow hope all goes well Thanks for your support Holly :thud:
 
Hi, Puffin and Diana are having a blue day as well. I sent them both a hug Here's one for you too! :console2:
 
Thanks My Way your hug made it to me and will help most days I am actually in really good spirits and find lots of nice things to smile about today was an exception to the norm thanks again for caring Holly:spin:
 
Today i went to my appointment with the surgeon and he said that my straight leg was good but concerned about my bend. He asked about pt and how it was going I explained what had happened and he was disappointed felt bad that it had worked out that way thought that I would be getting better pt and agreed with my decision to stop it in my home H said that my bend is not as good as it was in the hospital and that I left there with an 8 understood butsaid it had to get better. I told him that the pain pills had really not helped and that was why I had used more then he expected over the past 6 weeks still having so much pain. He is going to set me up with other pt and the one suggested has a 4 week waiting list called and he is looking. I am to go back to see him in 2 weeks and he is going to suggest options with me uncomfortable to hear what the the options he is deciding on will be. I reallyw anted to have my knee fixed tried to stay positive but now wondering if I should have just left it. He said that the planning for my pt was one where I fell through the cracks and I am disappointed thought I would recover from this Holly
 
My husband is very postitive and keeps telling me that I should be proud and tells me how much of an improvement he sees each day and I know I have improved.
Sounds like your husband has it just right. It is hard not to compare yourself to others but resist that temptation. This is not a competition. hang in there.
I'm glad your OS is working on getting you better PT plan.
 
Holly, know that you are in a period of uncertainty. You had a bad knee, you had surgery, you moved forward the best you could, and things did not go as planned. The sorting out process is very slow with TKRs. My son is having what looks like multiple sclerosis, and the sorting out process is far slower and even more frustrating than TKRs. There seems to be no way to be at peace with uncertainty although the buddhists have a leg up on this one -- acceptance. Your knee WILL some day bend nicely but right now you and your surgeon are pursuing a conservative course, to see if the knee can be cajoled into bending.

I did not spend a lot of time pursuing PT because my bend was always 85 no matter what, and when it changed it actually went backward, and that was diagnostic of arthrofibrosis.
 
Hi Kneeper and Mary. :kittykiss: Thanks for your posts. Today I called and asked about pt at the clinic that my surgeon works out of and they asked if I could come in today made an appointment for the morning.:yes: I explained that Dr McKenzie had performed my knee replacement and that he was concerned. What a pleasant change this pt is very gentle and seems to be very aware of how to treat a knee that has been through this surgery. She was really nice to talk to and gave me a better set of exercizes that I can do at home. My measurement at the hospital was 85 before I went home and they were pleased but as she explained to me that was before it started to heal and she explained that I had a lot of scar tissue. I told her that I thought I had done something wrong to have caused it and she calmed me telling me that scar tissue was a natural thing thing body did it itself. :friends: She seems like she will help and assured me after measuring my leg that it would get better. My rom had dropped to 58 and I didn't realize it had changed to that much of a difference. During my visit she gently pressed on the knee and had me try to move it backwords she remeasured and I gained 6 degrees more at that time. Mary I hope that things with your son will get better it must be a worry for you to. And you are right Kneeper my husband has such a positive way of looking at things and he is so good for keeping things smooth. I was settling a bit with it till my surgeon visit and he said that we would have to decide what options we have in two weeks don't want him to have to manipulate the leg. Wishing you both the very best and thanks so much for your encouragement Holly :flwrysmile:
 
:kittykiss: I was surprised during the night when I realized that I turned over and was sleeping on my side. I usually selep this way but since the surgery I have not been able to sleep any way but on my back. I was feeling comfortable and other then my leg feeling stiff and sore it still managed to bend a little and slid a bit behind me.:yes!: I have been trying to do the execxises the way she said and it takes large part of the day to do them. I was asked to try to use my cane in the house and not the walker and use the walker outside. I am managing ok just hope that my bend is better when I go back to pt tomorrow as I have to see the surgeon at the hospital in a week and a half and if it has not improved he is talking about other options and don\t want to find out what they are. :sos: I slept better last night woke up and found my self swing the both legs together over the raised toilet seat. I think that the gentle pt might help hope it does not feeling comfortable about the outcome but hoping for the best Have a great day hope all is well with all of you and thanking everyone for allof the kind support Thanks Holly:friends:
 
Glad things are looking brighter today. How great to be able to sleep better!:cheers:
Try not to get too caught up in day by day measurements, but you will notice changes more like week by week.
Also, based on the successes of the bonesmarties who have had mua, it is not the end of the world if you wind up doing that. But it sounds like the gentle pt is on the right track.
 
You tell'em Lavender! I quit PT about 6 weeks in, in favor of doing it myself more gently and I also refused an MUA at 6 and 12 weeks respectively..and I am doing fine!!!! I have over 90 degrees of bend at last, and very little healing discomfort at this point. My surgeon and PT both freaked out and I just said I would be a "control group" for the concept of doing less and achieving more, and that in a year I'd come back and show them theirs is not the only model for successful recovery.
Just know that it is safe to follow your intuition with this one..my knee improves every week now ..sometimes in such tiny increments that I don't realize it..until I suddenly see I am walking down stairs without lifting my hip to compensate for lack of bend, etc.
In the meantime rest all you want and take those meds!!
 
Hi Kneeper and Ms.fixit thanks for your post and all of the encouragement you have shown me. I wasn't concerned until I saw the doctor he is a man that doesn't say too much and he seemed to think that the leg was ok straight but implied the bend well and said no more. :cry: I didn't want to continue therapy as it just makes everything stiff and swollen but trying to give this pt a chance she said she does pt different and tries methods different from others . :scary: Never realized how much I let my hip help me walk before surgery and found myself walking around the living room and kitchen today without the cane using furniture and stuff to steady me if needed. My walk is not scaring me but the doctor is. Your choice to quit pt is something that I can relate to Msfixit as we all need encouragement and sometimes the pt people forget that encouragement is a great way to help someone heal and positive vibes do so much good. I am happy to hear that you are doing so great with the stairs and stuff and really think that the expectations they have for us are unreal. The pt did ensure me that as said on bonesmart the healing takes time and you need to allow this time. She also said that I have a whole year. She also said that I am still quite early in the process and she would do the best she can to help me improve the bend. :egypdance: Thought I was still doing pretty good the way I was managing it. I was confused about the new prescription gave me to help with the exercising he told me I could only take 1 pill before exercise and one at bedtime 2 pills meximum per day. I called today and asked for him to explain how the exercises assigned could be done with only one pill per day and he has sent a new plan for taking a pill before I exercise 4 times a day and for only 15 to 20 minutes per time I wont fit them all in 20 minutes Sometimes you wonder if the doctor is listening and even aware that he is still responsible for your care after the surgery is over. The pill thathe now giving me are called hydromorphone . I guess sometimes you have to let them know where you stand on the help they are offering and communication that isn't always there. Thanks so much Holly :flwrysmile: :thankyou:
 
Hi Lavender
Sorry to hear that the bend is coming rather slowly for you but I am sure that with slow and gentle exercises you will make progress. Here in Sweden there is no formal PT
Hope you get your pain relief sorted out
:friends:
 
:friends: Hi Puffin thanks for your letter. My knee is telling me it might not like what I am doing. Sweden seems to have the right idea. No formal therapy. Do they let you take your time and make your own way soounds like a wonderful way to let the leg heal. :shocked: It seems that they push hard here and expecting very early recovery. I understand that some of it to make sure that the knee works properly but finding that the pt is making it much more swollen and stiff. Seems that in Canada it is all about pushing the newly operated knee right away . How is your leg doing. Does your doctor understand the idea of letting the wound heal a bit before putting pressure on the stitches or staples. :cry: The pt and doctor said that I have scar tissue and I wonder if it is worse because the pt started the day I came home within 3 days including the surgery day after the operation.I hope your have continued healing and that your leg is healed and happy. Thanks and have a great day Holly:angel: :cheers:
 
Today was the second day of my new pt. I am trying to walk with my cane and only used my walker to go outside into a cab and into the pt clinic. I am really feeling steady although I walk a bit clunky without the cane. The pt had me sliding my foot up on a bed using a wooden roller thing and pulling my foot with a belt to make my foot move. :what: This went well she left me said to keep doing it and take rests if needed must have done it 50 times or more no pain. She went through exercises having me hang my leg over the side of the bed and she pushed on my knee cap no pain pressed on my leg pushing it back became very painful but I guess it has to move somehow. Most of the pain now is from the scar and I was told to press on it to help rub it to break scar tissue this really hurts but I am doing it. I placed a roll under my leg and had me do leg extensions no pain till she had me sit on the exercise bike and showed me how to place me left foot in the left pedal and try to cllimb over and put my right foot in the brace and then told me to put pressure pedaling forward to the point of feeling tightness then pushing backwords the same way uncomfortable but tolerable until the left pedal slipped and sent the right leg full speed backwords.:sos: I thought I was going to get sick I thought the pain so far had been unbearable but this was like no pain I have ever had. Tried to push forward tried to get off couldn't bear it. Once seated on the bike she did remeasure my leg and it has gone from the first visit measure in the low 50's degree range to 72 degrees. Wonder what it measured after the bike disaster.:yikes: If I do have to have manipulation surely the pain couldn't compare to the pain on the bike when pedal sent it up against the back of my leg it felt like I broke it.:rotfl: :groan: The doctor that did my operation works from this clinic and he saw me and came in to say hi and told me about vitamin E cream funny that the way he pressed on the scar didn't hurt at all. Felt better today the surgeon came to see how I was doing at pt because the first day of pt he came out of his office into the hall way walked past me and asked who was next stared at me and made me think he didn't remember me. :loll: My understanding now is that he was looking for his next patient who he probably hadn't seen before and he thought I was seeing him after them. This period of time has made my emotions run higher:gaah: and sometimes have some self doubt about my ability to get back to normal. At least he can see that I am trying . He said that if I didn't ned the pain med don't use them . Hope for the very best for all of you wonderful friends and thank you and the bonesmart site for all of the support and helpful information I have found. :happydance: I seems crazy but even after all of the pain after the bike I am ok now just a little sore things are seeming to be going in the right direction. Thanks Holly:bicycle1: :friends:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom