Guest viewing is limited

TKR Lavender's getting a new left knee for Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Lavender...what a terrible start you have had to your recovery ride...glad you have ditched the aggressive PT... :yay: :yes!: well done. I reckon you already know..if you follow the Bonesmart mantra, read the very informative articles in the library, you will become much better at listening and hearing what your new knee is saying it needs so that you can get on with living.

We all over do it occasionally and we all sometimes forget to take the meds on schedule but look at some the posts of others who are a bit further along than you and you'll see slowly and at whatever rate your body decides, you will see improvements. :whistle: We all have different issues that pop up at different times...but here those things can be aired and answers found. :bow: thanks often to the wise ones you keep an eye on us all.

I had some gentle massages of my leg as soon as I was allowed..after my staples came out it was very gentle helped relax the muscles in my leg and used to help improve the quality of my sleep, which usually came in three hour batches for many weeks post op. During this time when I was uncomfortable (not in pain) I would get up and come downstairs and go on the net... check out the forum and I just got to a point where I accepted this would be how it would be for a while. :mcoffee: Then one day as I said it changed and once again I could sleep right through the night...it takes time and patience maybe we might have to get Toothfairy to work on a patience potion for all of us on the recovery ride. :heehee:

You'll be fine..just come and chat
hugs Gami :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Lavender,

I'm 10 weeks out and yes, I had that pain if I put even the bedsheets on my knee. It felt like I had shingles! It lasted for about 6 weeks and finally eased up. I don't know if this will help you, but I wrapped it in an ace bandage at bedtime and that protected it from even the touch of the bedsheets. It does get better. Hang in there!
 
Thankyou Josephine for the wonderful information. I looked at the description you provided about the nerves in the leg and how they are tramatised during this time. I now have a much clearer view of why the pain is so severe and itis funny but that is exactly like I felt the nerves seem to be fllying around like a kite on a string in a strong wind thanks so much I am feeling somuch more positive about all of it. Bonesmart has made me feel 100 percent more relaxed and in such good company of kind and knowledgable friends.
 
:yay: :goodpost: :spin: Hi Gami Did you have therapy right away sounds like you are progressing the way that I hoped my start would be. Your very calming and I am feeling that after joining this wonderful forum that the leg is on my mind so much less then before. I have started to work onmy knitting and crossstitch again and and am no longer as worried. You and the others have helped me more then words can say and the suppot and expertise is so enlightening. Wishing you the very best hope to talk to you again Once again thanks so much for your understanding and kindness.
 
Hi Director I just realized this morning that my leg slept through most of the night and only woke up for bathroom breaks. I jsuallu pin the leg of my shorts up on that side so that they won't touch my skin but today I did't remember to and although it is still tender it doesn't seem to make me feel like I will go through the ceiling as much as it did before maybe all the positive vibes are taking my mind off of it and making me realize how lucky am to have such a positive place to connect with others in the same boat as I am Hope you have a wonderful day
Holly :bicycle1:
 
Holly,
Sounds as if you are doing REALLY well, now that your PT experience if behind you. Everyone has truly said all the words that need to be said about it. I wanted to let you know that you will see the greatest changes after you hit the 5 and 6 week mark. You should tattoo this BoneSmart Mantra on arms so you can see them!!!! These are so important. Glad you slept better last night. Sleep deprivation is so common and it causes us to not heel as quickly (we don't produce certain hormones that mediate cell repair).


First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
 
:thankyou: :thankyou: :dancy: Hi Barb well today the pt called and asked to confirm that I was not going to continue on with her.She had left after3 minutes the last time she visited and said she had a personal problem that she had to take care of so she thought that this was the reason I didn't want to continue. I politely and calmly explained to her that I was going to go it on my own and thanked her but made it clear that the methods used were just too aggressive and that I was going to take care with my new knee and explained that today without therapy I was comfortable and some of the swelling had also gone down. My pain medication is now working better as the knee is not in as much pain and she said she understood and wished me luck. I feel today that I am going to be just fine and the positive vibes have returned. This forum is wonderful is is a turning point in my recovery such a positive place and such helpful information from people who actually know how itfeels Have a great night thanks Holly
 
Hi, I hope what you told her will make her think about her methods and she will approach the next patient in a different and gentler way. Good for you! :SUNsmile:
 
Fantastic, Lavender.
 
Hi lavender. I have just caught up in your thread and I agree totally with gami
It is such a shame that you didn't find this site before you had your TKR and then had to endure the torture of an inadequately trained pt with no understanding of the nature of TKR. It does appear that most PTs are trained to guide people through sports or physical injuries, but a TKR is off the scale! I only had two PT sessions, one on the day after my op to get me onto my feet & one in my home to run through my exercise plan. Both times, the PTs were only dealing with TKRs and so didn't push (and certainly didn't touch!!!) I attended two pt classes before being discharged. The rest I did By being really LAZY & resting,icing, elevating, taking my meds on the clock & GENTLE exercises!
It's a great time to find your inner crafty side and crochet was my hook (pardon the pun!) :whistle:
I know in my heart that my recovery wouldn't have been as (easy??) if I hadn't discovered this site, way before my op I had enormous support and loads of advice. The image of Josephine hovering over the PT department reigning lightning bolts down had me on the floor!!!! :rotfl: :heehee:
Your now doing great!!! The knee is far sturdier & tougher than you can imagine, don't be afraid of it.
Big hugs! :flwrysmile:
 
Good Morning Lavender,
I met you over on Ron's forum, now I can post on yours ! :) A bit about me:
I am having LTKR on June 3rd. I spend most of my time on the post-op recovery thread because most
of the folks have had surgery before me. I like to keep up with them :ok:
Bravo for telling PT where you stand :dancy:I see you are in Canada, so don't know how things go.
In the U.S after home PT we go to out-patient therapy ( usually affiliated with the surgeons office,
mine is down stairs from his office) maybe you could call your surgeons office & find out if they do this.
If you do set something else up, tell them right from the start you not believe in a "pain to Gain"way to go !
Taking charge of what's best for you is empowering (isn't it) :yes!:
Take Care,
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
Hi everybody. It is a beautiful day here. This morning I looked out and saw a little bird in our plants and realized it was a hummingbird it is going to be a great day. I woke up today and realized that the pt won't be coming going to work onmy cross stitch mermaid and watch a movie. I really enjoy being part of this forum and your kindness and truly informative information has realy made a big difference in the way that I feel. I really wish that I had of know about bonesmart earlier and found out about it on a cross stitch forum when one of the other members suggested that I visit this site. Oh what a wonderful thing that she did as I wouald never have know about this wonderful place and all of the amazing people who I have been priveledged to hear from Have a truly wonderful day Thanks again Holly:angel: :giggle:
 
hi Lavender ...great start to my day to read your positive post...just stick with the plan :egypdance: :happydance: :ok: it all works.
It's a marathon as we all now know and as Fernie said at one time good days, not so good days, but hey what was it like before our surgery...for me every day was a not so good day :groan:

I started having very gentle massage therapy around 3weeks after my op, it was very gentle and it helped. It's so important to just find what works for you and stick with it. it is so much like being in a long distance bike ride...our own personal Tour de Bonesmartie. We have the best team of trainers (our wise-ones)to help us achieve our goal, which is simply to have the best ride as possible because we are winners as soon as we have our ops. :yes!:

Perhaps like me when I decided it was time to have my op I really was pretty ill informed of what it really entailed..the only person I knew personally who had had one was an elderly Aunt and that was over 15years ago...all I remembered was her saying ...I should have had it done soon. :what:

We go through that stage of pre-op fears and anxiety and pain...then we wake up with a brand new knee and our recovery ride begins :spin: . Thankfully like you I found this forum and we have become team mates along with a whole fantastic group of people from all over this World of ours who are also on the same journey....it is quite wonderful when you think about it isn't it.

We share our ride but our individual bodies will determine which aspects of it present greater or lesser challenges. Relax and enjoy the journey, when I could finally get my mind to focus after the op I read a lot and I enjoyed hearing all the great craft projects that other riders got involved with ....look 'no hands' (not even thinking about the knee) they were busy doing something to occupy all the leisure time that they suddenly had available..it is so great :yahoo: Enjoy your day

hugs Gami :friends: :flwrysmile:



.
 
Hi Gami Nice to hear from you and enjoyed your letter. My leg was like yours and like you said at that point they were both very unstable. I found myself shopping with the shopping cart hanging on for dear life to take the weight off of my legs. It is pretty amazing that they can do this type of repair and that it will give us a chance to lead a more normal life. The main thing that is making mine uncomfortable is the feeling of tightness more then the pain it feels like it is too big for the skin. Healing up really nice but just tight. I really love to do cross stitch and knitting and have started to really get back into it since the operatiion. My husband is wonderful and is taking care of things really great but I feel guilty that I am not really helping him. He tells me that the best thing that I can do is take care of my leg and get better and relax he makes me feel good and tells me how much better I am doing each day. Heres to our recovery and great things to look forward to with the wonderful weather beginning Have a greaat day Holly:thankyou: :spin:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Lavender's getting a new left knee for Christmas
lavender, you might find this explains the "tight" feeling that the leg is too big for your skin: "Tight band" feeling across the front of my knee

Would you please put your surgery date in your signature, as well as what surgery you had (i.e., LTKR, RTHR) like the rest of us do? You can find the instructions here: How to create a signature. But please also remember that our membership is international and for clarity use the International Date system being Jan. 10, 2013 or 10 Jan. 2013 rather than 1/10/13 or 10/1/13. Thanks so much for your cooperation.​
​
Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Lavender's getting a new left knee for Christmas
 
Hi and thanks for helping me with placing my operation date information I had my right knee replaced and noticed earlier on I said that my left leg was sore and that was not the right description as my left leg is to be replaced as well but this time I replaced my right knee not sure how to change the picture but would appreciate any help you can offer thanks so very much leg is just feeling really tight today but not alot of pain. Finding that I am coping and relaxing more and this is due to so much of the positive vibes that you all have sent me Thanks so much Holly:yay: :happydance:
 
lavender, I have corrected the left leg to right leg in your post and in the post where it was quoted.

I have found an avatar that I thought you might like to use. It is already sized to fit perfectly as I have tested it. Just right click on the attached picture and "save image as" in your picture files. Then hover your mouse of your user name at the top of the page and from the drop down menu select "Avatar". The click the browse button and find the picture in your files and double click it. Then click "Okay"and you are done. This is a very simple one---but nice I think. If you are not interested, my feelings will not be hurt. I just enjoy doing this when the opportunity presents its self.

[Bonesmart.org] Lavender's getting a new left knee for Christmas
 
:thankyou: :thankyou: :thankyou: :thankyou: Hi bottomshollow and thanks so much for fixing my post also thanks for the avatar. Holly
 
[Bonesmart.org] Lavender's getting a new left knee for Christmas
It was my pleasure. Wish I could have found something with the flower and the word lavender---but for the time being this is the best I can do. If I run across a better on, I'll post you about it.
 
My husband is wonderful and is taking care of things really great but I feel guilty that I am not really helping him. He tells me that the best thing that I can do is take care of my leg and get better and relax he makes me feel good and tells me how much better I am doing each day.
Way to go Mr. lavender! :thumb:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom