TKR Lavender's getting a new left knee for Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi There: I had my knee done on May 30th and was wondering what your knee bend was after a few weeks, I am getting worried as I am only at a 45 degree bend, and my PT keeps saying I should be at 90 degrees. I have alot of swelling and bruising around the knee which is making it very hard and painful to bend, Do you have any advice on what to do?

Thanks a nervous Knee replacement patient
 
Hi Renew Hope you aredoing well. I can only tell you what my experience is so far. The bonesmart people have it right on the button we have had surgery and the problem that I have is that when is the leg supposed tohave time toheal. I had my right knee replaced on April 26th and I am not at a 90 degree angle yet. I was measured at the hospital sittting relaxed in a chair and the pt in the hospital was very caring her most common remark is that I needed to take my time walking be careful take your time. Well she measure my leg didn't tell me to push it back she just measured it and said great I had a 85 degree. I wish that I had of found bonesmart before surgery they make so much sence and are very caring. I was assigned in home pt and they came my Mom never said too much before my surgery just told me that I hurt her main difficulty was that she had broke the leg that she had her first replacement on. I had pt come in the day after I came home and the insisted that I pull my leg back further and further said that my bend was only in the 70's when they left and they only stayed maximum of 20 minutes I was so sore that I spent the day on the couch waiting for my pain pills time. I was measured the next time she came told that I had to do better and measured in 60's tried todo myown pt could gauge the amount of pain tolerated and I did push. I went to the hospital and after missing pt for 1 week measured lower he didnt like the bend sent back and scared so signed up for pt at the clinic the surgeon works from who measured me at high 40's. i have been in pt for 2 weeks at a clinic. She is good not too peoply but good. Has in 5 visits measured me at 82 the other day. You are a month behind in weeks me and I remember being even more sore at that point. I can't say how you should do it but I know that I spent this weekend back on tylenol which I had cut back sore back sore hip and my leg is really stiff. My scar is looking bumpy and has a few bllister like things didn't have them before. My knee was so swollen last night that I asked my husband if he thought the knee had moved. This whole knee operation can be scary told to try harder but we do can't make it do what it doesn't want or is ready to do. I told the guy that took my staples out that I felt like my leg was a sausage that someone overfilled. He said no one had ever put it that way to him. They want me to walk now without a cane or walker and this has been the cause I think of the returning pain. I say try but when you know enough is enough you are attached to that leg and know better how it feels then someone who is pushing too hard. I have really enjoyed this forum and didn't find it until my third week. I was shown lots of articles to read they made it clearer felt like I was in good company. :friends: Have you read them they explain so much about why we feel these things and advice on how to make us feel better. Josephine and all of the other bonesmart people have had replacements they know what they are talking about . Have a look at the articles about icing and energy drain there are lots of them. i am really seriously thinking about my pt not sure how much longerjust want to get out to go for walks but too tired after it is all over. Don't let anyone make you feel that you are not ok and take the advice on this forum they are wonderful people. Hope we can keep in touch. Holly :kittykiss: :puppysmooze: :flwrysmile:
 
Hi everybody Today I went to pt and decided that with my back being so sore I would just use my walker to walk down the hall to the pt area. I then switched to my cane and the pt asked i fI wanted to start early all of a sudden I realized that I seemed to be walking a little different seemed more relaxed sore back but almostfelt for a few mintes like it did so many years ago when I walked so much more easy and back then I actually went for long walks for enjoyment.. Today my pt was being assisted by someone new. She explained to her who I was and said that she enjoys working with me cause I seem to really work at it and have a great attitude I was surprised was this coming from someone who doesn't like questions and just gets on with it she told her that I don'tmake a fuss just tries it was then that I told her about my back being so sore and she rellied maybe I worked you too hard Friday. She was concerned about the sore back and said she wondered if this might be part of the problesm. The new pt was assigned a job at a rehab hospital and specialized there with hip and knee replacement patients she understood how this type of surgery went. She went on to tell me that she worked close with replacement patients and asked if Aubrey had ever did soft tissue massages she said she was not really familiar and so the girl proceeded to work on my leg in this manner it felt good hung my leg over table side and laying down she worked on it. It felt nice. She also worked on my leg when I sat on the edge of the table and when she pressed my leg back asked in putting a little pressure pulling it down helped and it did. I did the bicycle and went a little further with pumping the peddals still not comfortable. My lower back is still really sore see the surgeon ask about suggestions on what to take for pain and hear what he has to say. I guess it takes time and every time you look a little more improvement. The temperature here is up to 32 degrees celcius so far and going to take it easy and relax . Hope every one has a great day. Holly :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Morgaine Yes she is pretty good and the one that was training is amazing as well. I was sore but comfortable with my surroundings there today getting used more to it .This training therapist was aware of the complications experienced the pain level lack of sleep she was interested in how i felt and said that the people she had been involved with said it was like no pain they had ever had. She said that she wonders if the bending may have something to do with other issues and asked if I had any issues with my hip or back before i told her that although my legs were very sore and the exrays had said I was down to bone on bone no cartiledge the original reason I went was at that time put down to a back issue. :happydance: The massage felt really nice she said that my upper leg was really tight. I have to say that each pt I get my moneys worth. She tries to do what she can and said can tell when enough is enough when I start to wince I said that I try to let her do what she needs to want the leg to bend but usually go home and sore. :kittykiss: She is actually very good and I think she is trying to help me. This week she will be off Friday I still have Wednesday this weekand then I won't go back now till Tuesday or Wednesday as Monday is a holiday. I think she is getting to know me now and I her. Bend was still 82 today but feel like we are getting somewhere hope it gets better but know it might take time.Feeling sore but so much more content.
Walked into pt today and suddenly realized that I seemed to be walking a bit more comfortable on my cane. I think things might get easier. Hope you have a wonderful week Morgaine. Holly :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
Todays was like a day of super sunshine. I had an appoinment with the surgeon who did my replacement. I was nervous about what he would say and the visit was wonderful. He came in smiled asked how I was if any improvement in movement or pain. I said that it reallysore during and after pt and he listened he asked if I was feeling pain and if the pain killers that he had prescribed a month earlier had worked I reminded him that he had asked me to take only when absolutely necessary so I was being really careful but toldhim that when i did take them they did not make any difference. Hewas very concerned for me and how I was feeling and said that there were two courses thatwe could take he explained that choice number one was to have me come in and be put under to have him bend the leg he said that this might give me more bend but it would possibly be just for a short while. He said that it would have to be maintained with more pt and didn't seem to recommend that this was the path we take but it was up to me. The second choice was to let the leg be give her a break she is tired and he said thept is doing more harm then good. He had recommended at the time that I goto pt and said that he thought it would help but now says suspend all pt. strenous exercizes and myh exercize will now for the next three weeks consist of leisure walks using cane or walker whatever is the most comfortable at the time and enjoying life a lot more again. he told me that I healed very quick staples came out early he was surprised when I went that day that they had booked it for less time then usual and also said that the healing process on my knee is way ahead of the 8 week mark. He said that I am still early in recovery need to take it easie on my leg no more leg slides or cramping my leg underneath me to hold for a bend at first pt told me to and basically said exactly what the mantra says be kind to that poor leg she has been through enough trauma.:dancy: My rom remained the same yesterday as it was on Friday and he said well we can say no rom must come right away so important or say let is come as it comes and will be ok when the time comes.:spin: I felt like a million pound weight had been lifted off me maybe time to get better.:SUNsmile: I told him that the cabs were the only way to get close enough to the hospital and rehab and said that it was costing close to $ 90. a week just getting me back and forth. Told him till I drive getting hard to budget he then started a Holly can do list and the first on it was that Holly can now drive. :happydance: I have never had this amount of time to talk to him he is really caring and doesn't believe in the traditional way of treating a sore leg.:yay: I have cancelled my pt and the surgeon recommended that instead of intense pt I go for leg massages told him my back was getting worse more pain then the leg and he said that with the massages things would probably get better. :ok: I am once again excited and planning to drive to my blood test just taking it slow and get my self back. I will be thankful to bonesmart and all of my wonderful friends:giggle: you are the best therapy I could ask for and so glad to know that my Dr Mckenzie the surgeon follows your gentle sensible methods. I think this is going to be a great adventure. Holly:bicycle1: :cheers: :kittykiss:
 
Holly, so glad for you. Now, just don't think of the numbers, think of the things you suddenly realize you can do as you rest, relax, ice, and elevate. Do the things you can and ask for help when you can't. :happydance:
 
Hi Morgaine :flwrysmile: I didn't know how my doctor thought about pt and how hard to push to get results.:happydance: I felt like I had a huge weight lifted from me today I went and picked up a mobility pass to help with parking closer to things we need to go like the hospital or grocery store, Dropped by the bank and met with our friend and she was happy to see us, and then just down the street to have a supper out didn't go too far or push myself but nice asked by the staff there where we had been told they were happy to see us and then home.:whistle: The whole thing only took about an hour maybe only 5 minutes from home in our neighbourhood. Nice to have time with my husband doing something fun and not just going out to appointments. He also enjpyed the time with me in our own car. Just going to pace it and not go too far for too long a little maybe each day just taking it easy tomorrow. :yawn: Tired but content Now just catching up sleep no more running around each day.Hope you have a great week Holly :friends: :happydance:
 
So glad that you have a great OS who follows the mantra and does not believe in pushing too hard - it will be a relief not to have a PT causing you pain and making your knee swell up.

It must have been great to get out a little with your husband doing some fun stuff without it having to be a medical appointment. You get a little stir crazy being at home and where your only contacts with the outside world are with medical staff

Take good care
:friends:
 
Hi Puffin How are you?:tada: Woke up today and realized that we had no appointments for either my husband or myself. I am taking the freedom of driving at my own pace don't want to overdue it and end up sore but nice to know we can go out on our own in our car if we want to no more cabs. :sorry: Haven't had as many chances to see my Mom during this time just keep phoning each other she is about 20 minutes away but cabs got way too expensive and being she has no way of getting out without a cab will have more time to spend with her. My Dad died on the 4th of April and although he wasn't home for the last 5 months (in a nursing home) we took her and us to see him most every day she is now alone she will now have us back again. Usually pick up her groceries and get her around to appointments or just out for something of a change and maybe have lunch together. Won't be as busy for a while don't want to overdue leg but have the option. Before my operation we saw her pretty well each day and will be nice to go again but slow. Nice to hear from you Puffin and hope you are doing really well. :angel: Holly:kittykiss:
 
Hi Going tomorrow to meet with the person at the doctors clinic to see what he says about massaging my leg. My doctor suggested that this might not be a bad idea and may help with a bit more movement help with the swelling. Not sure what this type of massage involves but told that they do not recommend booking massages more mothen once a week or maybe every other week. If it becomes too uncomfortable I am going to ask him to stop lady who books the massages and pt she said that massages can be pretty intense. Has anyone else had this type of leg massage done and if so how does it feel doctor recommended it hope it goes well. Holly
 
I would think a gentle massage could help--but as always it shouldn't be painful. Do you mean this massage person is through your health program? I know mine has a "complementary medicine" section that is familiar with doing massage on people who have had surgery.
 
Hi Kneeper The massage is part of doctors recommendations and is located where the doctors office is. I have to pay for it but can send my receipt in to my health plan and they will cover up to 600.00 per year but have to pay and then get a refund. I will be able to attend 12 for the coverage I have with the plan we pay for but was lucky to slip this one in before the year end of July 1st thought I would see if another but massage therapist didn't recommend more then once a week. The massage therapist said that he seldom has people with knee problems usually has people with hip surgery but understands how to do it. Much more positive feeling then struggling to push my leg ways that it won't go. Wonder why they don't try things this way when they know that things are not progressing . Holly:kittykiss: :)
 
Sounds like a plan.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Lavender's getting a new left knee for Christmas
@lavender, and remember
[Bonesmart.org] Lavender's getting a new left knee for Christmas
. Hopi
ng that this will be an answer for you.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Lavender's getting a new left knee for Christmas
 
Hi Bottomshollow :) Had a really nice morning with my husband drove to a favourite restaurant in a little town 45 minutes away slow relaxed highway and love watching the scenery mennonite area . Laying in bed last night and asked my husband if he would like to go for breakfast the next morning and he askedhow is it too far be careful said if I had any problem would turn around and go back. Arrived at the restaurant for breakfast and greeted by out friends made me feel nice they said they missed us and had been wondering how we were making out. We are regulars go if we can every Saturday beautiful homecooked buffets and very comfortable homey atmosphere. Offered any help if needed said they were happy to have us back. We came home today had breakfast and picked up a few things. My husband made sure that I got in the house ok and went back to the car to bring in our shopping. I had used my walker cane was in the car realized that I had to go upstairs and needed to do it soon so I went carefully without cane and had no problem everyday it just gets a bit better. My leg is less on my mind now and other then it being tight to bend it is coming along really great . I think I remember reading that your husband had both knees done how is he doing hope all is going really well. Thanks for the encouraging post you are all so wonderful Holly :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
So pleased you had a wonderful day and that things are looking up. It will continue to get BETTER and BETTER!!!
 
Sounds like you had a fantastic trip out and sounds as though you are really improving now
 
Hi Puffin :flwrysmile: Yesterday was wonderful feeling more like myself singing more and getting backinto my cross stitch excited . I am going to my massage appointment on Thurday have confidence now that the surgeon who I see on the 17 of July again and the massages will help me and my husband is so very positive and wonderful. My nieces were planning a family picnic fo rthis weekend at the park where we loved to swim it is beautiful and decided that we would pass this time too much walking. Path made of pine needles pine cones and just beautiful but quite a walk from the parking lot to picnic area and lake beach. Now wondering if it would be nice to just go and get back in the water and swim. No ladder into a pool needed just sand and lots of room. Thinking about what to take to add to lunch and maybe just go and spend time in the fresh air surrounded by trees and sand and have time with my family and be part of what we used to really enjoy. As a kid growing up never took off my bathing suit when we went to the cottage my parents rented except to go to bed and loved the water. My husband and I used to go to this conservation park before we scrapped our car and spent most mornings before it got busy taking a few cookies and juice just enjoying the quiet and the beauty Two years ago we purchased another car and bought a park pass which allowed us entry whenever we wanted to go and entry into all conservation parks have two favourites. :loll: I said probably would wait till next summer when asked didn't feel well enough to make the trip but woke up today and decided that it might be nice. My husband is ok either way. Driving is making so much difference in my way of handling things independance feeling that I am contributing loving the freedom if only just to go to the park and feed the geese a giant step for both of us in healing just pacing not doing too much a bit at a time. Still stiff and bend tight but happy. Keep thinking about my Dad he was wonderful just know he would love to see our lives getting back to normal. He would want this for us. May each day for all of us just keep getting easier less painful and better and better I know they will Holly :happydance: :flwrysmile: :friends:
 
Sounds like you're in an ideal location to help your recovery--and to mark the turning point from disabled patient to someone increasingly returning to society and life in general.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom