TKR Lavender's getting a new left knee for Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today we had a very disappointing experience at our appointments to have our annual eye exam. Came home very upset. It seems now a days that the way that some people operate a business is less focused on the treatment of their patients and more on the money that they will make from them. Now wondering if the eye doctor is getting a percentage of the business profits from the eye glass place next door.

Being that we are both diabetic we are required to have an annual eye exam and until today we have managed easy and smooth but this was the worst ever. Our choice to go to the office in the mall near us made sense close to home and convenient. The office opens at 10 and we had the first two appointments. Did not get in till well after 10 o'clock they were there as we saw the staff leaving through the front door and then locking it after them when they came back.


My husband and I finally got in around 10:15 and were the first to arrive for our appointments. We presented our health cards to one of the girls at the desk and they looked puzzled asked if we had appointments and then asked again. Not a great way to start off as it was now close to 10:30 . I mentioned that we did not want the picture option as it is an extra charge of 25.00 and would prefer the method they used last time using eye drops instead.

As we were told last time when their equipment was not working that they would be using eye drops and the same result would be achieved. The girl told me this was not an option and they would have to charge us the 50.00 total just how they have recently decided to do it. I did not find them to be very polite and felt very uncomfortable. My husband was taken in first disappointed to see that the person that did my first checkup there as the woman that did our last exam was really efficient and made us feel at ease.

She examined my husbands and my eyes last time very positive results and recommended that my husband who has had cataract surgery purchase glasses if he needed them to help with reading. She wrote a prescription for 2.50 strength and suggested that he could find them at a pharmacy if he wishes did not need specially made

Todays doctor made us both feel upset he said no way they would work and offered a prescription for sunglasses as well. I had the same experience with him 4 years ago when he told me that I would need to purchase 2.25 strength for me and doing the cross stitch I do and reading the small printing that went along with my job was happy and found they worked great I purchased prescription glasses then. The next year he decided that I should now have 2.50 could not understand that and that he has found a swelling behind my eye said I might go blind.

A follow up visit the next month with the same place but different doctor her findings were no sign of the swelling he found and she did not understand why I had been told to upgrade my glasses to the other strength. This time I purchased over the counter drug store glasses found they gave me headaches but as we all do had not yet understood that they new strength was causing some other problems.

I finally had my turn and while he had my husband sitting back in the waiting room again he saw me. No talk about my visit which on consisted of asking me to read the bottom line on the chart and looking into a light with different eye positions. He said my husband did not understand what he told him and I said it was strange that so many changes since last appointment when the doctor had been so pleased so different he said he was so bling that he should not be driving I told him that he didn't

The last appointment the female doctor actually changed the strength of glasses for him from 3.25 to 2.50 as she said he was appearing to seeing quite well at her visit and as we were together and my checkup was over she suggested that I sit in the room with them while she carried out his tests. I was watching the relfection on the ceiling as he read the chart felt nice that he was seeing them so well. My husband mentioned to todays guy that the previous doctor had mentioned the improvement and had no concerns other then keeping an eye on both of our vision due to diabetes but she saw no issues of concern. I know he is doing great as he can read things without glasses that I can't and has no difficulty reading the newspaper and seeing distance. I also mentioned to this guy that the other doctor had suggested over the counter glasses for him and that was what he purchased. I told him that this visit was not comfortable . I also explained that I was not feeling too confident at this point as the same situation had happened to me with him at the first visit but said that we did not know any better and went along with what we were told.

I have been to this office 5 times now and aside from the first visit which was also with this guy everything went ok. I have never felt stressed with the other eye specialists and confident that what they told me was correct. Great appointments no eye problems but after today we have decided that next year when the one mark is reached we will be switching over maybe have to go a bit further from home.

Our eyes are a one time gift that if left in hands of someone who is not competent could end up with difficulties we did not have to start with. I know we have to trust and with my doctors and his we do thankful for the way they are and trust them what they say. But sometimes you have to speak up and stand up and say it like it is. Just because you have a degree in something does not give anyone the right to believe that they cannot make a mistake and just because some people in these jobs think that they are beyond any form of question does not mean they are.

Now after listening to another lady complaining as we were leaving that she was referred to this office by the eye glass store and wondering if now they may be connected as when prescriptions are issued they are to the store next door. We are finally home the appointment lasted till after 12 o'clock still not sure how mine turned out as he only offered another prescription to me almost like a pill pusher but he pushes expensive glasses. Happy to be home the eye drops have cleared and now getting ready to have a relaxing night hopefully. Holly
 
@lavender
Hi Holly,

Lovely as always reading you soft and gentle posts.
Glad that your visit with the dietician answered some of your questions and your sugar readings have been explained to you.

Continued to enjoy your walks in the park with your husband.

Cathie
 
@lavender
Hi Holly,

Just read your & your husband's disappointing appointment today.
You were both very disappointed with your treatment by the staff, sorry that you had this experience.

Cathie
 
Hi @marmora Hope you are doing great and thanks for your kind posts. Going for an exam is usually pretty easy not too long before it is all finished and nothing other then sitting for a few minutes looking into the eye equipment and then finished. Today it almost seemed like the eye tester had just dropped in my husband said he would never have guessed he was the person doing the exam in tee shirt and jeans just looked like he was caught by surprise. Only recognized him from another visit.

When you arrive for a visit you never know who you will be seeing and although this is the person that was listed as my eye person he has only been there once plus today. Very young no bedside manner the two other people I have had other times were both women and made me feel comfortable at the appointments that I had. This the second year that we have had our test together my husband started to go again when he became diabetic. My husband is going to talk to his specialist when he has his next appointment and express his concerns .

Happy it is over who would ever think an eye exam could be stressful. Went to th park after and took a nice lunch with us. Just could not get relaxed after this so we came home. Trying again tomorrow know it will be nicer and how much we enjoy being in this park. Hoping you are doing great and that your knee is not giving you any problems or pain. Nice to talk to you very much appreciated. Holly
 
Good thing your eyes are OK, sounds like they just wanted to sell you glasses. You both need a good eye doctor, I hope you find another place before your next exam.
 
Hi @Pumpkln Looking in the yellow pages so many places to choose from so know within the next year we will find someone else and trying to find somewhere that does not sell glasses in their office. I know after my Moms cataract surgery I was very surprised when I took her for follow up appointment which my brother booked at his eye clinic that during this visit they prescribed glasses 1.25 and then after they did their changes the 29.00 dollars glasses ended up costing her almost 200.00. I asked the person selling them why she would need something like this why over the counter glasses just for reading would not be sufficient . Not sure what they thought of my vision know it is fine as if not how could I do the cross stitches which are really tiny that I do. My last question from him was did I want a prescription I said no the ones that I bought on prescription a few years ago are working fine. Just feels like they are trying to get more glass customers somehow. Holly
 
Hi Holly,
@lavender
It can be hard to find the right place to fill your prescription for glasses.
At least you have a year, before having to look for new glasses. Would your eye doctor have a good recommendation for you to get your glasses ?

I am also type2 Diabetic and had cataract surgery on both eyes a few years ago and an internal / inter ocular lens was implanted in each eye. One lens in long-sighted and one in short-sighted so like having internal bi focal glasses. I do not need to wear glasses at all, can read small print & distance vision is very good.

Had worn glasses and/ or contact lens from the age of 10 years old, so being glasses & contact lens free for the past 6 years is great !

Take care and hope that you and your husband have a lovely day,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
Hi @marmora I was just reading on your thread and noticed you were not going on you holiday that you had planned with your friends sorry you are going to miss it hope there will be more that you can join in on. How is your knee doing hope you are managing fine. and that it is not painful. Think gentle walking is the best p.t. My surgeon during that last replacement told me that he thought that walking is the most natural form of exercise and recommended it to me over all other exercise other then the massages when my leg had so much swelling just take it slow. Have you had diabetes long. I was diagnosed 4 years ago and up till the spring just took medication now insulin . My Dad wad diabetic and had been for 25 years . He was diagnosed at the same age as I was and until his last three years it was only treated with pills insulin added after that. My Gramma (Dads Mom), her brothers, my great aunt, their families so only stands to reason one of us would become diabetic.

It is looking like it will be lovely today sun shining on our roses on the pathway outside our house and air fresh still have dew so we are going to our little restaurant for breakfast, a relaxing while in our park staying a little longer as we have to pick up our newspaper which will be out on the stand at 12:00 to check out the grocery ads and then off to shop for our groceries. No more appointments this week so happy. Long weekend this weekend so only one medical appointment next week. Then two the following week one will be the day that I have my cortisone shot and x-ray same day as @Jozilla will be having her surgery. Wishing you a wonderful day hope you are having a great week and now getting ready to go. Really enjoy your posts. Holly
 
Hi Holly,
@lavender

Thank you for your kind thoughts on my cancelled trip. I started playing golf last September after I retired and we have a Golf Society in Sandymount.

In a golf society, groups organise a few games a year or sometimes once a week booking in a specific time slot at an established Golf a Club. It is a very inexpensive way to learn & play golf.

The Sandymount Society play together 4 times a year and have one Irish overnight trip where you play golf then dinner and bed& breakfast in a hotel with a golf course.

And then one away trip to either Spain or Portugal, it is from Thursday to Sunday -play 18 holes on Friday & Saturday then fly home on Sunday. But, about 10-12 of us, who don't have school going children stay on until the Thursday making it a full week and play golf one more day and then sight see or hill walking the other days. This year' strip is to Spain.

Tonight the 40 who are going to Spain on 25 September are meeting in a local restaurant at 7:30 for dinner, cath and catch up as to what people have been up to during the summer. I will go to the dinner, but plan on leaving about 9:39, as it will be good to be with the group.

Diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes in 2003 and had been on Glucophage for a number of years.
But, about 3 years ago was changed to Victoza, it is a daily injection, but is not insulin. Blood sugar levels fairly steady and really no problems with my Diabetes.

Your breakfast and then to the park & then grocery shopping sound a lovely plan for your day.
Enjoy the sunshine,
Cathie
 
Hi Holly, @lavender

I'm sorry you had such an unsatisfactory visit to get your eyes checked. I'm sure you should find somewhere else to go next year.
I recently experienced something similar - my optician has been elected as Mayor of our town and his practice is not rune by a series of part-time, ring-in opticians. I was given the wrong prescription - the new glasses made my sight worse than the old glasses. Next year, I'm going somewhere else!

Think gentle walking is the best p.t. My surgeon during that last replacement told me that he thought that walking is the most natural form of exercise and recommended it to me over all other exercise other then the massages when my leg had so much swelling just take it slow.

I agree completely with your surgeon!
 
Hi Cathie ( @marmora )
Your golf group sounds like lots of fun and wonderful that you will have time with them to talk about your summer and have supper together. It is too bad you will not go on holiday with them but sure you will do it maybe next time around. My diabetes has actually been pretty steady changed a bit in the spring so prescribed insulin but other wise not as serious as many are dealing with.

The only type of golf I know how to do is miniature golf and we used to spend time each summer at a local family owned golf course that had a nice mini golf to. The land was sold after lots of coaxing to the family who owned it and raised their kids by running a restaurant and golf course to a mall that was wishing to build there. No other place nearby now but spent many afternoons while we were dating out there in the fresh air and having fun.

Growing up one of my very closest friends was from Ireland. She was very nice and came from a large family to they lived down the street from us and her family was just so nice her Mom and Dad very nice to us kids. They moved one summer to a new area and then only about a 15 minute walk so spent lots of time together she was almost like my sister. Her older brother was large very tall for his age and looked almost like the man that played on The Beverly Hill Billies television show as He did not look his age and during the one summer he started to drive. He was not old enough but we did not know that so one day my when we were all gathering to go swimming rather then riding our bikes we were given a ride by Frank.

Now realizing that he was my age we did not know he could have passed for probably 16 or more. My Mom wondered why our bikes were still there but thought maybe we walked. Her face when we said we were home and Frank had taken us in their family little Volkeswagen bug. One time only but he did drive slowly. My friends family had been thinking about moving back to Ireland and when we came home from our cottage holiday one summer they had moved her Dad had been offered a job too good to turn down so they were gone. A letter was left in our mailbox and she explained how she would miss me and my family and her Mom left me a letter to. Missed her so much still had my other friends but really missed her. I started to get post cards she wrote me and then we started to write back and forth this was something that we did for a long time and then just lost touch. I came home one day just after starting my first full time job and sitting in our kitchen at home was Jackie still the same. She remembered our house and hers down the street. Her older brother ended up being a architech in British Columbia Canada. She had come home to see her aunt in a place 3 hours away and had taken the trip on the bus to see me.

I did not know she was coming a spur of the moment idea as she was in the same country and wanted to see us again. Sorry we could not have had more time together as she had spent the afternoon with my Mom waiting for me to come home and had to get back to the airport to make her journey back to Ireland. I often wonder where she is now and how she is doing. Addresses may have been lost in moving as I was now married and she was talking about moving to England but memories of someone that I went to Girl Guide camp with and so many happy times as young girls growing up we shared. Jackie O'Grady was her name and she was my very best friend. We leave a mark somewhere along the way on those we pass by and those we meet leave their mark on us. Holly
 
Hi @Celle Sorry to hear that you had the same problems with your eye appointment. I think it is difficult when you get used to dealing with someone and then you arrive at an appointment and someone else is filling in. I felt like I was in a different place and very uncomfortable. Our next appointment is a year away but looking around when we were out today passing many other places the do eye exams to. Lots of selection so we will be going somewhere else.

Times seem to have changed . Arriving at an appointment you expect that you will be taken when the time you scheduled. We were not. Sometimes people now a days forget that the person sitting in the chair having this type of exam is a person with feelings. Talking to my family doctor one day who never makes me feel this way he told me that sometimes they forget that they are dealing with people who should matter and sometimes they forget that they owe them respect and care.

I think it is a shame that you were issued the wrong prescription for eye glasses. How easily they could have ruined your vision and along with that they are not an inexpensive purchase. I got nervous when I saw the optician as I remembered how my first visit 4 years ago went with him. Crazy enough he was the guy that I was originally supposed to have as my optician. He is in charge and the first visit I was supposed to have an appointment with him I had someone else. He was not there. The woman that also works there took care of me no problems and issued a prescription. I bought two pairs of glasses fortunate they were on sale. Next visit he changed the strength which meant another purchase. I was given an appointment for a follow up and it was with the women again she told me that the new strength was too strong and hoped that I had not filled it I had not. Hoping that you find a good place to go to proper eye care is so important know that I will never go back there. Holly
 
I think it is a shame that you were issued the wrong prescription for eye glasses. How easily they could have ruined your vision and along with that they are not an inexpensive purchase.

I tried the new glasses for 2 weeks, compared the vision in my right eye using the new and old glasses and decided that the new glasses definitely made it worse. I took them back and asked for a re-testing. On the second time, he told me there were definite changes in my right eye and almost accused me of doing something to cause them, or of lying at the first testing. No, I didn't on either count. He got it wrong.

I got the glasses renewed with the correct prescription, and did not have to pay anything extra. All it cost me was the hours it took to go back a couple of times. I would have made a fuss if they had tried to charge me extra.

However, I've lost confidence in that practice and I shan't be going back.
 
Hi @Celle Good that they gave you the correct glasses at the end and that you realized that they were not right the first time around. Understanding why you will also be looking for somewhere else next time it is needed. Something so important to have done properly and no way to restore your sight as it was when they make a mistake. This type of mistake can have everlasting damaging results. Curious now when he offered a prescription which I turned down as same experience as before what he was going to prescribe.
Now wishing I had taken the offer and looked at his prescription. Wondering what the little girl who was going in after us felt like. He did not have the type of personality I would expect would be needed to do the job for someone this small and hopefully did not turn her away from ever wanting to go again. Happy you got what you should have at the beginning. Holly
 
Today nothing planned and so happy no appointments. This morning received a phone call from the diabetic clinic from the dietitian that has been taking care of me. She has contacted my family doctor and he has agreed to her suggestion of cutting back on one of my medications and increasing my insulin slightly just to see if it makes morning readings a little more on target. I will be starting this today and increasing insulin tomorrow. She mentioned that I am doing very well and that I am almost exactly where I should be not too far to go now. It seems like it takes so long and asked her if she thought I would actually get back to readings as low as they were before they started to get higher requiring insulin. She assured me that I was doing great and that she knows all will get back to normal now questioning if some of the medications may be changed to help.

Nice walk in the park today had our choice of places to sit families having picnics and kids just getting time to have fun before school starts. Yesterday while on our walk I must have dropped my little "off" mosquito repellent unit. Finding that when I have it clipped to my shorts it makes it hard to keep them from sliding down so moved it over. Going to the car ready to put the unit away realized it was missing.

My husband took a walk back to see if he could see it but we walked different paths along with our regular walk and it could be anywhere no sign of it. Not really needed now as the mosquitos seem to be less visible just hoping it could have been used again next year. My knee is a bit swollen today and felt tight last night sleeping tight to bend. Trying to do the walks to help with sugar readings but not always making my knee happy doing this. Well just over a week now till cortisone shot and hoping this will help till surgery time at least worth the try as my first cortisone shot for right knee made a big difference and
made walking on the knee comfortable. Hoping that having my next replacement will make first replacement less stressed. Holly
 
Hi Holly,
@lavender
Have a lovely weekend with your husband and not too much longer until your cortisone injection.

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
@ marmora
Hi Cathie hope you are having a wonderful weekend. It is very hot here today and sun is nice. Noticing a few trees in our park are starting to change color already just a little bit. Last year we were surprised to see the change much earlier and some had even started to drop their leaves before they usually do late October. Met a nice man in the park today he was with his family and had travelled a long way from our far north about 7 hours to visit with family. New baby born to his daughter in law and son and family got together to see her.

He was telling us that it was his first visit to our city and park and was taking pictures of the ducks and geese and scenery. Going to take a little girl on the train and rides and wanted to know how much. He was impressed at the beauty of the park the water and something this nice in a city. Our population is now just over 120,000 still a nice size but where they live is beautiful to all trees lakes and less people very friendly. Today we just wanted to have some quiet time but so nice to have met him . Holly
 
@lavender
Hi Holly,

I am sure that the man you and your husband meet in the park, left feeling better after having spent time with two lovely people.it was his first time in your lovely park, but you and your husband have the chance to visit and spend time there every day.

May the rest of your weekend be filled with joy,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Cathie Thank you for you lovely post and wishing you a wonderful weekend to. Came home and watching the disney movie Chitty Chitty band bang remember going to see this when I was little for a friends birthday party. We love watching movies and love disney. I am now working on the dress area for my "Lady of the Mist" cross stitch finished her face and upper body hair arms she is beautiful. Nice way to relax. Best wishes Holly @marmora
 
Today my eyes are still acting funny. I have noticed since the eye exam that they are watering a lot and making it hard to see. I feel like there is something in them almost gritty, and discharge from corners that I did not have before the appointments. Maybe just dry feel itchy and strained. Tried to do my cross-stitch last night and had to put it down just could not seem to focus. I did not have this before appointment know he put in eye drops as requested that really burned and then lost of light for looking inside that he kept doing not sure as my eyes have never caused me any problems before just difficult to see the tiny work doing cross stitch without my reading glasses now still seeing distances alright but so difficult now to see up close. I looked up the rating section on his website to see how others felt and other then two who liked him the rest sounded like our experience

. One woman was upset that her contact lenses that were ordered after her appointment were very delayed in coming and that when she received them they were not the right prescription she could not see with them. Others were upset about the time they waited to have their appointment arrived and late getting in and that they not feel respected. Some that the treatment was very abrupt as ours was and that they were leaving. I also read that they were building a hospital in a city about 2 hours from our home they had his picture with it and thinking he is running this office and the hospital office as well so this might be the reason he is not as interested in this office now. Wishing that day he had stayed n his other office and that one of the other two examiners had of taken care of us no problems with their treatment.

Looking ahead and seeing a few that are nearby to us and thinking that rather then make an appointment when the time comes we will just be walk in patients and see how things look never before has an eye appointment left my eyes this uncomfortable wondering why. Holly
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom