TKR Lavender's getting a new left knee for Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.
@lavender I use spinach in lasagna. I also cook it with some onion and a little bacon. Hubby likes it cooked and adds vinegar to it. We also love it fresh in salads. Good stuff.
I love my grandson (3 1/2) but I have put off finishing our house (major remodel) to babysit him. We want to sell the house and move in a couple of years so I told my daughter (now that she is through with nursing school and is a working RN) she can find a sitter. They found a friend willing to watch him for only $45 a week. So now I can just be grandma and can finish my house.
I use to watch all the old Disney movies. I remember the Gnome Mobile! Wow, haven't thought of it in years!
You have a great day!
 
Hi @tiredwife Nice to hear from you. Great ideas for spinach wish I had of know I liked it before it is so good. I understand you love your grand son and then your need to have some time for your own to do the stuff you have probably not had time to do up till now. Little ones are so busy. When my brothers kids were growing up we baby sat them a lot . We worked full time and by the weekend if we had it off just needed time to catch up on stuff. Every time she dropped them off they knew she was going out again and then instead of being their aunt and uncle who they they saw off and on we were now the babysitters she actually introduced us to her friend as the babysitters. The kids seemed to like being with us my husband and I tried to have things for them to play with and color with them but we were worn out working was more then enough and seeing us again one day the oldest said my Mom has other things wish she would stay with us. I am sure it will be nice to see your remodeling moving along with the time you will have and along with both of your husbands knee surgeries and babysitting I am sure you have both been very busy. You deserve a break and wishing you a bit more time to spend together and hope you find some time to relax. It is almost the weekend and wishing you a wonderful one Holly
 
@lavender Thank you! We are the same age. I have a house full of toys but he has to have me play with them too. It is getting harder and harder to get up off the floor! It is really tiring for my husband having the grandson here. On the days we would watch him it was from about 5:30 pm to 11:15 pm. Before she finished nursing school we had him up to 10 or more hours a day, 5 days a week. She finished in May. I relax by getting on this forum. Hope you have a wonderful weekend too!
 
@lavender

Hi Holly,

Love your daily posts and thoughts of times past. I also remember going with my 3 friends to the "movies" each Saturday afternoon in the winter, Disney films, Westerns,Comedies.

Times were simpler then and the movies of that time very entertaining.

Have a lovely weekend and you and your hsuan I'm sure will stop by "your park" over the weekend.

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
Hi @tiredwife I can identify with it getting harder to get off the floor. I used to sit cross legged to watch tv and at one time used to lay out my sewing on my sewing board on the floor to cut out my patterns this does not happen now my body does not like it any more. The days spent with your little Grandson you were very kind to help out and sure you loved seeing him but they sound like long days and a little one that age can be so busy. It is your time now to have time together with your husband and having this time to do your thing will make the visits something you will look forward to.

My husband and I wanted kids and this did not happen so we were excited to see my family starting their families but were not prepared for what happened. We were not as included during the first month of my oldest niece as it just seemed to be a novelty to our sister in law and she decided who and where she could be with Then the novelty wore off and we were expected to babysit whenever she wanted to have time away. It got out of hand and then when we had to tell her no she was not very appreciative of the many times that we had made time to babysit and this made us start to think. My sister in law actually told me that she had visited our store and commented to my supervisor that she wished my hours coordinated with the days she needed babysitting I was shocked. Often found that after working we were almost asleep and they were still running on full gear no sign of slowing down for a nap. I am sure that things will be fine with the new help with babysitting and the cost of 45.00 per week is very good.

Nice to be back to being his Gramma and Grampa and good that you will have time to do the things that you need to get done. Kids have so much energy knowing from my own energy that it is better that I helped out with all of the kids back then as not as energetic now. My one niece has decided that when her sister and her husband start their own family we would be wonderful to have for the babysitting again and we have decided no way not again .Holly
 
Hi @marmora and everyone . Today is beautiful the rain stopped sky cleared the sun is strong and weather turned very hot. Met a man and woman walking their little muffin dog today and had a little chat. They were concerned that someone would be upset with them she was off her leash and just making her way along the waters edge. Very smart little dog and knew when she was called to come back. My husband and I said that sometimes this seems to make them less aggressive and so many of the little dogs in our park have a chance to walk on their own know where to be and very gentle and not to worry.

There are a lot of people riding mobility scooters or travel in wheelchairs one man in particular who rides a power wheelchair and who walks a beautiful reddish tall dog her tail is feathered and her coat is lovely.she is elegant. She walks along beside or in front of him and lately we have noticed he seems like he may be partly paralyzed. I see him each day rolling along with her she is a proud beautiful looking dog and today it looked like she may have had a little dip in the water must have felt nice for her in the heat and along their way they went.

He passed us along the brick walkway and his head is usually looking down noticed as we exchanged smiles and I waved and said hello. He looks like he would be kind. His way of being part of the life the he may have a more difficult time getting around in on foot but he is managing so well to be so much part of the things he must have enjoyed before.

We meet them each day another older man with a side mirror on his adjusting it as he came down the little bank from the bridge crossing the river. He often stops by the benches along his way and sits away from his scooter for a break. Stop and chat with him for a little while to.

When I was little the bridge used to be a swinging bridge and remembering the sound it made when crossing it. I noticed today that the man and older man in his senior years was out for a walk he has a walker and a little black dog beside him almost like the little dog Toto in the Wizard of Oz. His little dogs leash wrapped around his hand loose enough to let his little dog walk and explore a little and how wonderfully he moved much quicker on his walker then would be expected. These people walk a long way or drive their scooters a distance surprised one day when we saw the man in the wheelchair such a distance away.

We have a good friend she lives near this park her name is Betty and goes for her walks there to.
She lost her wonderful husband also a friend of ours 12 years ago and sold her house she was someone we like to see. . One of the nice people we met working at the store and that was 38 years ago seems like the other day when we meet and talk and share a bench and catch up on each others lives. Worked together till she retired.

Remembering that my Dad was starting to loose his short term memory I think so much was caused fro all the stress the he handled in that period of time. He loved to reminisce about the days when we were small he loved those days, history of his family and things that they did. His love of the days we lived along the park, and all of the wonderful time we had all spent together. Knowing he was then judged by some of the confusion of what had happened recently but hoping that along with the memories of now that we need I will never forget all of the wonderful people who were and are part of my life and the amazing things that have happened along the way and helped to make me who I am. Holly
 
@lavender Holly, seems like people do take advantage. I haven't even been thanked for my 3 1/2 years babysitting for free, they are probably just ticked off that they have to pay someone now. My daughter has changed since she has been married. She didn't use to be like this. They didn't even ask me if I wanted to babysit when they decided to have a baby, they just decided I would. Well, enough of that rant! Sorry! Hope you are having a great day!
 
@lavender Holly, Your park sounds wonderful! We have found that camping makes people friendlier, we go to a nearby campground to camp and all the people are so friendly and stop and chat. Maybe it is just being outside in a relaxing atmosphere. You come across some interesting personalities just talking to people. For some reason people find it easy to talk to me. I will be in line waiting for a cashier, and by time we get up to the front of the line I know the person, either behind me or in front of me's, life history. Some people have very unusual lives.
 
@lavender @tiredwife it is because you are an
[Bonesmart.org] Lavender's getting a new left knee for Christmas
and holly that parks sounds wonderful and enjoy reading your writings
 
Hi @marmora @tiredwife @Pumpkln @madinana

I think that people have sometimes lost the art of communication. Sometimes they seem uncomfortable talking face to face and a cell phone is an easier way to do it. I have always spoke to people passing even just a friendly hello not sure if it is from years of working so closely with them in our store or just like the contact. I find that some times that so many are happy to be noticed and so many times just a kind gesture goes a very long way. I love your photo of the geese @Pumpkln they remind me of ours and love how gracefully but strong they fly. Almost wondering if this year they are going to migrate last year so many stayed but they are gathering in the park now flying more then coming on land and so many now hear their honking look up and a wonderful feeling it gives us.

I was reading up on our park one day on our city website and so interesting. The park is beautiful the entrance way has a large garden area and we are very well known for our floral clock which sits up on the bank changed each holiday or special event planted accordingly. There are fountains and water falls in the garden area and it is a tourist attraction lots of wedding parties go there for their wedding photos. Down further there is a roadway that brings you down by the water and they have added more picnic tables this year. Our park was originally a place where the streetcars back then met it was a station. A small dollhouse that is built to scale represents the first home that was built in our city by the person who founded it. It is probably 3 feet high 6 feet wide all wooden logs beautiful as a little girl I wanted to have it for my own take it home a garden of plants is surrounding lit all grown to scale in proportion to size still love to see it. I

We love this park. Down along the river lots of water falls and reading about our park I have learned that the large portion of land down to the other end was purchased as an add on back in the 70's to hold sport fields there is a place with a band shell that they hold concerts and where the fireworks display is held as well. Lots of green space never seems crowded even though it can get quite busy a beautiful place to go to feel human again no rushing calm and so popular with people here and people visiting.

It would be easy to take this lovely place for granted but we do not we take in every site and every thing we can it is the place that my husband asked me to marry him, where we went to sit quiet when my Gram and Dad passed on and celebrations of the wonderful things to. We have made friends here and see them quite often as we share a bench with them and talk about our day. It is preserved land kept natural, and the sound of the water coming down the waterfalls and the smell of the fresh air on a hot day under the tree we love is amazing.

Yesterday we sat on the bench furthest down by the large waterfall it is usually very sunny there so chose the shade but it is dedicated with a plaque to a young guy his birth date and date of his death engraved he must have love this part of the river so it where his family or friends decided to keep his memory. Busy world rushing and fast but here people can walk for a long way. Carousel music from the the carousel that has been restored and so very old and the yellow train engine and six cars long stands about 3 feet high and travels along a track goes quite a way three rounds for 2 dollars and going to post a picture my husband has a nice one I can show. Have a great day and thanks for coming on the walk with me. Holly
 
@lavender

Hello Holly,

Again a beautiful story to brighten my day.
Your story telling is so descriptive and at times feel like I'm walking in your park with you & your husband.
And it is a very pleasant journey.

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
Hi everyone I am so happy that you are enjoying our park and nice to share it with you and I thank you. I have downloaded some pictures from our camera card and just trying to get them ready to post here. I wish I could show you the carousel my husband managed to take a video of it and it is just so beautiful and the water rushing over each waterfall is on this video to and the geese and their tiny ones but I am going to post them if all works well tomorrow . Wishing everyone a great nights sleep and then see how to post them so happy we took them while they were all small and the train and carousel are still open. Thanks for sharing our walks and our beautiful park wish you could come and see them too a great way to relax and such a beautiful place. Holly
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@lavender I am pre-op and also waiting on a surgery date. I have been reading your thread and your positive attitude shines through it. I can relate to some of the family issues that you posted about and I am sorry you had to experience it.

I loved reading your posts about the geese. As marmora said, I felt like I was there watching the geese with you.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Lavender's getting a new left knee for Christmas
This little goose was the tiniest of a family of 11 babies we visited at our park she was so tiny and still managed to keep up with everyone else Sure she grew like the others as the family of 11 could still be spotted together sitting in the sun and swimming together just a little while ago. This summer has really gone by quick. Now looking forward to seeing it all again next spring
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom