TKR Lavender's getting a new left knee for Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello again to @dogwheels I have so many great memories of all of our family stuff and of my Dad. Usually try to keep the sad stuff in the back of my mind it all took only really the last four months to gather before he died. For some reason it came back over the last few weeks maybe the anxiety of surgery or just missing what my Mom and I been doing over the while before the problem. Spent most days with her going out and shopping eating lunch and talking just wonder why she flipped around so quick. Talking about it has helped and now getting past that stuff.

I thought I was the only one growing up that had a fear of dogs. My friend down the street one of my best friends family brought home a corgi dog and he used to bite. Now looking back he was really cute small but still stayed away from him. As the person who walked our St Bernard I had to get to like her when she first came home thought I would spend my days in my room but looking at her decided she was small needed someone to help get her on her walks and told myself she was without her mommy so maybe we should be friends. I think the picture of the little dog is so cute. And your marina is beautiful must be great to spend time there. Reminds me of the places we went as kids for holidays and then over the years that my husband and I used to go to for holidays at cottages water love the water. Went to the movies yesterday afternoon it was half price day and saw The expendables so many stars so much action.

Thanks so much for taking the time to talk I enjoyed it and now getting ready to go out to the park Some of the leaves are starting to turn color now and signs that fall is on its way. This summer has been beautiful and we have enjoyed it so much love the fall as well colors are really beautiful. Well putting the memories in the past as they were before they popped up and looking forward to going to my brothers this weekend . We are very close his girls are just so nice and really like his wife. He has asked us to come for a barbeque and know it will be fun. He has had a lot of problems handling this stuff to for the first while he could not talk about it. the first time I have ever seen him break down and cry it breaks me up to see how much it has hurt him to big strong guy big heart, so much like my Dad . My brother called last week and started to tell me things that were happening with my Mom and this is what I think brought it back. He is now able to express his feelings and we support each other through it. Well so many wonderful things and so many other people who I enjoy spending time with and of course my husband to. Nice to talk again and wishing you a wonderful day. Thanks again Holly
 
Just a few more week to go till my visit with the surgeon and looking forward to it. Today we went to our park sky very overcast looking like rain but the air was fresh and calm. We hear a voice behind us it was our friend she has a little dashschund who has just discovered that there are squirrels there and today he decided that he would try to chase them. He usually just sits quiet and falls asleep but his new found interest kept her running long retractable leash but he was on the run. Such a cute dog golden brown in color and really well care for. Today I even found that I was getting wrapped up then he started to run circles around her almost like she was a maypole and he was children dancing. Funny think he is getting comfortable wit us so he is no longer shy not aggressive at all quiet but he is not so quiet with the squirrels.

She is nice to talk to we talk about stuff we loved as kids. jobs things to do in the city and of course about our common love of the ducks and geese. She was asking about my knee and also said she hoped it would hurry up and happen. She was surprised when I told her that the waiting times were due to the amount of people who go through this surgery every day she did not know it was as common as it is. I told her about my first knee when we first met she noticed that it was difficult getting around and asked about it. She brought up the topic today and shows an interest in how it is going same age as we are and common things to talk about. Then on her way her wee dog was ready to go on his walk benches large enough to hold all of us my husband enjoys our talks as well. Trying to go a bit further slow and making stops along the way but it is helping with my sugar reading a bit more. Slow walks lots of places to sit and enjoy and another way of releasing the stresses of day to day. Came home to low sugar relaxing and calm help this so much Holly
 
Came home to low sugar relaxing and calm help this so much
Glad you walks help your sugars, and calm the rest of you too. The weiner dog sounds so cute, chasing squirlls no less, guess with his shape he could chase them down holes.:heehee:
 
Hi Holly, @lavender

Like @dogwheels, I have been reading your old posts from about April 2014 this morning.

You are an amazing person, you fabulous descriptions of your walks with your husband in your 'special' park actually paint of a picture in my mind of your enjoyment there.

Your sorrow and hurt at your family situation, makes my heart skip a beat for you.
But, I can see that you are grieving on what has been lost, but also realise that you need to make your health and recovery after your next surgery.

Hope that you get a date sooner, rather than later.

The love of your husband has been there for 33 years and that love will carry you through your family and health problems.

Please do continue your updates on your walks in the park, they are written with a gladness of heart and I found reading them warm and touching.

Take care and know that in BoneSmart you have support & friendship from your many friends around the world.

Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
Hi @Pumpkln Little Jasper the dog is funny to watch. He is 4 years old and a little round really shiny little tail sticking up and looks so funny when he runs. Never saw him do anything but sleep before but he is getting comfortable with us so he just seems to run. His Mom she saw us the other day when we had our lunch at the picnic table told him we were there ad he started to run towards us. My husband was kidding he offered him a grape if his mom said yes but she said he would rather have bread. A few tiny pieces of crusty whole wheat bread and he was my husbands best friend sat beside him and kept looking at him he will eat almost anything she said and tries to. He is just one of the many dogs we have grown to enjoy. Enjoy our friends little dogs Cosmo the pug dog, Tito long haired chihauhaua Jack is a black pekingese Annie who is the tiniest little Jack Russell terrier I have ever seen and the list goes on often stop by and love to see them. Strange from someone who was so afraid for so long of dogs. Wonder who we will see today. Oh and Henry and Charlie to just so many. Hope you are doing great Holly
 
Hi @marmora Nice to hear from you and thank you for your kind post. My husband and I are very close and spend a lot of time together it was harder to do this when we were working for so many years our working schedules were so different but we always managed to do things together he is the best I could have wished for. We have always been there for each other and during the stuff with my parents health he was in the hospital one of many during that year and he almost died. I could not have survived this and am thankful that he found a specialist that changed it for him and has been in his care since. I am very blessed. I love our park it is where we got engaged one night after the movies we went for a little walk as we always have sat down on the little hill where the Carousel now sits and he asked me to marry him.

Looking back at how many wonderful holidays we have went on and so many wonderful times shared know that I am very lucky he is my best friend. I have so many memories of the babies born into our family the baby clothes and dresses I made for them and how much time we shared with all of them. Most weekends we spent with all of them had Christmas together and my husband and I bought a video camera when my one niece was 3 we went to take movies of them Christmas mornings and spent time. I still have all of them know they are. My niece is just getting ready to move into their first house with her boyfriend. So proud of the job that they have done raising them all 6 total and memories.

It is for this reason that what happened with my family that I have had a few rough spots . I have so much to be thankful for sometimes just have to stop and remember but miss my Mom for the wonderful things that she did do. Looking forward to getting a date a month has almost passed so not too many more to go. My husband did such a great job wit my last surgery and know I am in caring hands. Next summer know it will be all done and the trips to the park will probably happen again next spring. Just love being there. Thanks for caring Holly
 
Today we decided on the spur of the moment when we woke up to go for breakfast had errands to run and a stop at the park . Sat at a picnic table and got our bread ready for the feathered friends and so much easier this way then trying to break off pieces as they wait. The geese had returned to the park today have not seen too many this week so nice to see them back. Neat how they waited on the dock where the paddle boats are usually tied and so patiently. It was almost like the understood the procedure we try now to break the bread up ahead of time as if we don't we have a stamped of geese ducks and seagulls hard to keep up with them this way. Started to throw their bread and they came up the bank ready for there turn. We counted the one family recognized them after counting they are the family of 11 plus three geese that we remember being so little and wondered at the time if one goose had lost her mate and joined the others with her babies. The family of five and another seemed to be the family of 7. Geese stay together for quite a while . They have all grown so beautifully and no sign of the tiny little one who tried so hard who we worried about no longer tiny and she is there but now full grown so mice to see. Lots of walks and stops today up and down the park many bench sits and then walking to the other end. My knee held up tired now but the sun was shining putting in time till appointment at 12 o'clock so we went on our way. Going to sleep great tonight. Hope you had a nice day to. Holly
 
We were talking today and came upon the subject of cars. I started driving later then some never thought about it but one day my brother came upon a car that he was so excited about he knew it would be perfect for me. I really had never thought about driving I was 19 at the time and had worked at my job for less then a year full time. It was a bargain he said only 100 dollars pale blue, no rust, inside other then the carpets which were pretty shredded as it had sat in a field for a few months, but he assured me as he was apprenticing as a mechanic he could get it up and running and it would be perfect.

It had belonged as he said to someone I went to school with and knowing he seemed to be nice thought it might be worth the cost. It turned out great after many fix ups and the day came when after taking my beginners test that I could take her out and practice for my drivers license. We did this on Christmas morning after presents had been unwrapped and everyone was settling waiting for the time to start preparing our dinner. Out to the shopping plaza we went through the snow to try my hand at driving. I was so very lucky that my brother had so many patience he was really excited to see me at the wheel and I was terrified. Well after several months we decided that it was time to take the test. I made it through the test and passed all went well till the oil started to drip a bit and then by the end we found ourselves the tester and me the air started to smell oily a bit of smoke.

I passed even so and did not want to hurt my brother he had such hopes for this car. My hundred dollar car with its beautiful blue paint was no more. The engine went so far things were wearing out and then decided it was getting too expensive. Well it was my first owed nothing and my brother helped me look again he came home again so excited he had found the perfect replacement, manual transmission, beautiful blue paint , it was not new an older model but pretty and in great shape and here we went again. I had saved a bit even with the cost of the first car my brother did all of the labor all I had to buy was the parts for my first little car so I had a little left over.

This little car was owned by a university student I was not aware that he had fixed it up but my brothers did this little car had been used to race. A little Austin Mini how nice much power then normal driving needed for me but how many fun days it took us on. Memories of them. When you have brothers as I discovered the car they may find is something they have dreamed of having for their own and the car they would like to have for their own is the car that they hope will bring you the pleasure that they know it would bring them.

My Dad offered to teach me to drive it learn how to shift and use the clutch he would take me out when my brother was busy and show me how to do it. I tried not to cry as I stalled it at the beginning did not want to do this to him he patiently explained how to do it and after a little while I started to understand. Sitting on the street behind our house trying to pull away at the lights a bunch of guys pulled up calling shift baby shift this made me even more nervous I was very shy even more nervous now what would my Dad say well he laughed told me to just do my thing my way and off we went. My Dad loved that car took any opportunity to take her for a spin he kept in the speeding limits he always taught me to drive the way I should but can just imagine him taking her out for a little run down the highway and her motor purring to have someone drive her the way she loved to go. Such memories. Holly
 
@marmora @Nanamoon27

Hi Ann and Cathie Just reading your posts and thank so much. I love the time we spend in our park and am so happy that I could bring my enjoyment to you. Our park is situated just a few streets away from the street that we lived on during my first two years of life. My parents had lived in an apartment for the first year they were married wanted a big family and moved to the area by the park into a home that had only two bedrooms think they just wanted a house and then decided it would not be suitable to hold all of the kids they would later have. They sold this house quiet area and bought a house just two streets over it was lovely. My Dad loved this house it had three bedrooms but no way to expand large yard and looking through the gate in the backyard which opened into my aunts yard you could see the park the river and it was beautiful.

I remember as small as I was looking through that gate and visiting my aunt on the other side. The stork made its appearance once again and my brother Bill was born. They knew that 3 bedrooms would not be enough and rather then waiting they moved again . One bedroom was needed for the baby and my brother and I shared so not enough room for more. We moved away from the park area to the home that we all lived in till we all got married and where my Mom and my Dad lived till my Dad had to leave. My Mom still lives there all of the shelves he made rooms he remodeled the clocks he lovingly crafted and yard so beautifully cared for lots of trees my Dad planted so big now and the greenhouse he build for my Mom that until five years before had stood full of the orchids and after it started to deteriorate after so many years of growing her beautiful plants she could grow anything.

The lemon tree he hid in my room for her one Christmas behind my little wicker chair always included me in wrapping things for her managed to keep it secret still not sure how she did not see it but she said she never knew it was there. I moved into the babys room when my youngest brother was a year old he joined my brother in the room next door. Wonderful days. During the last few years we took time after work before going to bed to get them out for a ride going back to the house he loved so much was special to him we would sit out side parked along the curb and he would explain how we lived there and how after my brother Bill turned a month old we moved with all of us and our budgie Louis to our new home winter time. Louis caught a cold thankfully he lived we were told that the movers loaded him cage and all on the back of the moving truck never realized he should he been in our car my parents wondered where he went but he lived through it we were all together.

The shutters he built and the address numbers on the wall outside were still there large garden tall white picket fence meant so much to him he hated to leave it but wanted us all more the next house we lived in was brand new but he made it our own and it echos the happy time we spent can't turn a corner without seeing the painting my Mom painted of flowers and trips to the country she loved painting pansies, and very talented with scenery oil paint and very much talent she had for this the clocks and brass my Dad loved to polish and all of the touches of shelves he built and remodelling he did and things that we made for them to. It has 3 bedrooms and one in the finished basement that he build with my uncle for my two brothers. Loved growing up there . I still stop by the house we left when I was tiny I do it because he loved to go there as he got closer to the end of his days. he loved to look at it special memories of the times when we were small life was simple and being together was life. Holly
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Holly - you sound so good! I also love your descriptive writing. I am off tomorrow for a vacation to our camper in South Jersey. I will only have six days after that for my surgery four of which I have to work! I will try and stop by but have limited wifi access. Take care and I hope you get a date soon!
 
Hi @Jozilla I am glad that you are going to have a break with your camper and hope you have a really relaxing carefree time. I look forward to our visits at the park so lucky to have this wonderful place so close to home and that you can all come along with me to share the beauty and the simple pleasures that a visit in the park offers. I will miss it when the weather gets snowy but even then we stop by bundled up some of the geese and ducks stay for the winter in the park and we can still share a few moments with them even if they are shorter visits still take our bread and sometimes wild bird seed which they love mostly the ducks and wait for the spring when they will all return. You are so close to your surgery time and hoping that the little while you have left to wait will go quick for you. Wishing you a wonderful holiday and the very best for a pain free easy recovery. Look forward to hearing from you and enjoy your time away. Holly
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @madinana and everyone . Thanks so much for kind words. I am so happy to hear from you and thank you for reading about my park and things that have meant so much in my life. I know that I have so much to be thankful for so many things so many more happy memories then sad and until the loss of my Dad nothing had every hit me so hard. I think this is why the park and the gentle creatures that live there mean so much. I am amazed at the things that we have seen. Last year just after I started to drive again we went walker and all and sat down by the waterfall under the tree on the bench most favorite one of our four favorite benches . Along the way back to the car we decided to sit further down the river on another bench and on the way we met a very large mud turtle would have missed out on that he was sunning on the grass we thought he was dead so we waited to see if he was ok.

I sat on my walker still not too steady to stand and my husband with me waited about 30 minutes he was alive geese sitting around us too then he started to move thick longer then I thought legs and he knew where he wanted to go. He moved along the bank not yet sliding back into the water moving quite quick I was surprised he moved that fast. He knew where he wanted to go and about 40 away he went in.

Very large and old covered in moss under the water and he was gone. On the way back to our car instead of the brick pathway we walked down into the grass I was pushing my Dads walker that was given to me and my husband watching I did not fall and stopped to sit for a minute.

Half way in about 25 feet were two more long way off from the first one appeared not to have made the venture and appeared to have died but another was still alive. What if we had of walked the pathway would have missed out on seeing him and then across the other grassy area who would have thought they would be there. Trying to get past the things that have caused the sadness won't forget the man he was couldn't he looked at life and loved people taught me to be myself and true to himself. Sometimes I wonder in my fairy tale way that these moments are for a reason to make you look up and notice the wonder of all of it.

I have always believed that those I love are with me even if it is just because they leave us with touches of the things that made us mean so much to each other. Hoping that as my Gram always said that we can all find something each day that makes us feel excited. Hoping all are pain free and enjoying each day in someway that makes us happy. Holly
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Getting appointments for next week all sorted out and making sure that my reading for my Diabetic appointment on Monday are up to date. Monday morning I have to see the Diabetic Nurse and Dietican to talk about how things are going. My husband will join me after his appointment. Improvements have been coming along I keep a little record book daily for my testing results and since taking insulin there has been a positive change still not on target but getting there. I cannot understand why readings in the morning are a bit higher and then afternoon they seem to fall into sometimes too low readings and then carry on low till bedtime and back a bit higher in the morning. She recommended taking more protein which helps with glucose when taken together she said so this is what I have been trying to do. Trying to watch what I eat trying to get vitamins and iron levels just right for the surgery. It helps a bit but still can be frustrating.

We try to be careful not to buy anything with high sugar buy what we eat have for a long time checking labels and lots of fiber but so very unpredictable. Yesterday we had breakfast and then did some errands walked through the park and walked some more my leg was very tired and then instead of coming home to my usual low reading found it was in the 8 range confused. I thought insulin was the secret but not the miracle that I anticipated for me yet and going to see if I can get some more hints from them. Diabetic for 4 years now as was my Dad and his family but always remained in the range required now thinks can get out of range so quick sugar levels during surgery were great but since that time tired of this being so much a focus of each day. Then off to the eye appointment for both of us on Wednesday this is not a concern but happy to get them both over. Holly
 
The year that I decided to finally look into getting my knee taken care of it was suggested after my family doctors nurse arranged for checking further into the cause of my knees pain. My doctor as off that morning and after calling and arranging to see about it the nurse practitioner in his office sent me for x-rays and arranged for an MRI and wrote me a prescription for physio. I went to the physio after work in the morning asked for a 7 thirty appointment and made a quick stop at home to get washed and changed so that after words we could go home and to bed. Along with the knee pain the sciatic pain was very bad in my lower back She was a nice and she was gentle in most ways but decided that if it was in my back pulling on my ankle stretching my knee and trying to stretch the lower back or whatever she was doing would help she still believed it was my back It was so painful and after the visits it would take till the next time to get so that I could with less pain. I had to go to work with this and the job I did was very physically demanding but thought she knew what she was doing I left hobbling and it took days for my being able to walk without pain. My husband told her that this was causing me even more problems and would she stop. I talked to her one morning and explained that it was making it even more sore and could she do what she was but did not want the pulling she said she knew it hurt but this was the way she need to do it to release the tightness the last appointment was this day realized she was not going to stop so did not go back

The best part of the appointment the only part that was comfortable was when she placed a large blanket over my back which was quite warm and felt like a million dollars. I was being treated for back pain when the pain was in my knees and after 6 of these treatments I said no more. My doctor did not like that even with the x-rays she was convinced that the problems was in my back and the treatment was actually doing more harm. It was at this time I was referred to the surgeon who did my replacement and the process after my first cortisone shot was the only option he said was to replace my knee.

Wish I had found bone smart back then could have asked my questions now know that all pt although they probably try are not always right about the way they go about their trying to rehab . I am sure that with the symptoms she thought she was trying to help but happy to have found the people who made a difference and fixed the right part. Wondering how much damage culd have happened if I kept going
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom