Guest viewing is limited

THR Laura's THR - Tight Knee on Op Side

How long does the scar take to heal?
 
As in heal or disappear?
Mine is barely noticeable now after two years, just slowly shrunk.
 
There are four wound healing phases that every wound goes through, including:
  • Hemostasis
  • Inflammation.
  • Proliferation.
  • Maturation.

Remodeling or also known as maturation phase is the fourth and final phase in wound healing and lasts from 21 days up to 2 years. In this final and longest phase, collagen synthesis is ongoing in order to strengthen the tissue. Remodeling occurs as wound continues to contract and fibers are being reorganized.

Most members report that their incision healed into a thin white line over the first year or two post op. I found the same to be true.

Have a great weekend, Law!
@Law
 
Not disappear, but become more smooth, not bumpy anymore.
 
Went for CBC (per ortho) because my iron remained low after continuing to take supplement every other day. The ortho did not add iron panel to order, which was dumb and I should've told them to but when I asked they said the CBC would be good enough. At any rate, all the results related to anemia are low, so I'm going to go to my regular doctor who knows a whole lot more about this than my ortho does.
 
I strongly second going to your primary doc. I have normal CBCs but am chronically low on ferritin.

My primary and I have discussed current research (why I like her!): there's a subset of folks like me who demonstrate signs of anemia yet the only lab clue is a mildly low ferritin level. Apparently there's growing evidence that the currently accepted ferritin levels aren't accurate.

She also told me that an near as she can tell reviewing the literature there's no benefit to oral iron more than twice weekly. I always pair it with a vitamin C to maximize absorption.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Law
I've never had anemia or even low iron, though I'm chronically tired because I have Sjogrens. But all of these numbers are def lower than pre-surgery, but i didn't suffer a huge amount of blood loss, so not sure what's going on.

i'm seeing reg dr on Wednesday.
 
So when I stand, my right knee (op side) sticks out because my leg is a bit bent. I have to consciously straighten it. I asked my physical therapist about it and he said it's because when they told me to not swing my leg straight forward or back I followed the rules and probably barely moved it in either direction at all. So he thinks now there's scar tissue that is built up a little bit around the anterior capsule? which is affecting the knee so that is what we're going to be working on.
it's annoying.
 
Always something, right? No experience with the knee situation, sorry.
After my surgery I was deferred from donating blood after 6 month mark in recovery because my iron was too low. In all my years of donating I had never been deferred.
My partner & I donate at least 4x's per year sometimes more frequently depending on our schedules.
Mentioned to my primary & asked about taking iron supplement & she told me to go home & eat a steak! :heehee:
 
@myglasshalffull ah, ok, yes I've never never been low either but it's only been three months so OK I guess it's just normal. I did get the iron panel done and while some numbers were low they were still within the normal range so he'll probably tell me to just keep taking it every other day for now.
 
After my RTKR my haemoglobin was borderline and they didn't transfuse me. I was tired for a couple of months post op and looked ashen in the face. I got Ferograd with Vit C and it took one tablet a day for 3 weeks before my body said OK you've taken enough. After LTKR I took it immediately I got home.

My RTHR is is two weeks time and under my GPs instructions I've started iron now pre op to build up my reserves.
 
  • Friendly
Reactions: Law
I'm still waiting for him to call me, so continuing the iron every other day.

@Campervan so that's good that you started it already beforehand, hopefully a better outcome with regards to energy, relatively speaking! Good luck!
 
He said I can stop the iron. In other news, my pt says I can go back to barre class but just be smart. I am so excited!

I tried to do search on Pilates on here but way too many posts were from TKRs....my membetship is unfroze so I'll be returning in about 2 weeks but a bit worried about what I should and shouldn't do,which springs to use, etc.
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary, Law!
Enjoy your Barre class when you return and have a great week!
@Law
 
  • Friendly
Reactions: Law
Barre was a success, I just didn't go crazy. But nothing popped out or fell off, lol. and no flares, either.
knee continues to be stiff but I think it's slowly improving. We're working on strengthening at PT.
 
Great news, Law! You're making good progress. Thanks for stying in touch.
Have a wonderful week! :wave:
@Law
 
  • Like
Reactions: Law
So, I had my follow up with the surgeon and he said I can do whatever I want pretty much just don't go crazy and instead just ease into it which is pretty much what I've already been doing..
but my right knee is still stiff. So he took x-rays of that as well and said it looked fine there was no arthritis or anything and that sometimes this is just the way it goes with recovery.
what's weird today though is that I feel like the numb area around the incision is larger instead of smaller. I think I read that the numb thing can last a long time and for some people it's like forever, but I guess I'm just looking for any opinions on this because I could swear it was a smaller area before.
 
I've noticed something similar, @Law. The numb area seems to change in shape and size. I had my last surgery in December (knee) and just noticed a "new" numb area last week. Maybe the nerves turn on and off a bit before they come back?

I can tell you that all of the numb areas around my hip are completely gone (4+ years since surgery), while my ankle still has a small area of numbness (12years). Our bodies are amazing -- but mysterious!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom