THR Laura's THR - Tight Knee on Op Side

Bandages gone! incision doesn't look nearly as bad as I expected. The pin holes on other side are kind of bruised but she said it was all fine.
Today was just the PA, she finger stuck me to check my iron which was a bit low so I need to stay on it till I see surgeon in 3 weeks.
She said I can drive next week, and sleep on either side, just not my stomach
yet (Sigh). And just walk between now and then, and surgeon will clear me for everything else.
 
@Law Brava! Excellent post op visit. When my surgeon cleared me for "everything else" he said the only permanent restriction I had was "NO bungy cord jumping!" Which was, and is, totally fine with me as it has never been on my "bucket list" :)
 
  • Funny
Reactions: Law
On cane now. Pain is outside of right ( operative side) knee and what I think is TFL.
 
Still very unhappy TFL. I'd been told I could sleep on operative side but it hurts too much, which stinks.

is there anything I can do other than ice?
 
An honest question, before offering any advice: I'm curious how you differentiate TFL from quads because I've done and received lots of body work, and I don't know that I could.
 
It's the outside of your leg, upper thigh, higher up. I can't lie on it. Higher than IT band. Like where the upper outer seam of your pants would be.
 
The rectus femoris runs up there are as well when I look at anatomy charts. That's why I'm trying to get a clearer picture of where the pain is.

From your clothes description then I take it this pain is higher, above the groin crease and hence mostly or entirely off the leg.

Thank you! Advising knee patients, I have an excellent background. Hips I'm learning!
 
Last edited:
So the leg pain is likely quads or ITB plus TFL...

Besides icing, the only things I can think of...

- check for the possibility of muscle trigger points on the rectus femoris, and work on releasing them (you can look up "trigger point self care" to learn more; it's definitely a case of find one, dig deeeply, breathe and relax into the discomfort)
- if the TFL feels tight, you might try heat or alternating ice and heat; you can try a breathe and light pressure approach to relaxing it ONLY if it doesn't hurt. I will explain if you're interested.
 
Hi again, so this is my incision, it's a bikini incision, so runs somewhat parallel with my bikini line. The pain is where I circled, and then a bit above that and almost. Not quad. so I think this is either TFL or perhaps gluteus medias. But not quad. Actually now that I'm looking at diagrams I think it's the medius.
if I lie on that side in bed I am lying almost exactly exactly on the bad spot.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Laura's THR - Tight Knee on Op Side
    IMG_0496.jpeg
    76.4 KB · Views: 126
My suggestions re quads trigger points were for your related issue with pain on the sidebof your knee.

What happens when you lie on the opposite side and support the leg with pillows? Is lying on the new hip now the main source of the tfl/glute medias pain?

I am not sure what to suggest beyond "don't aggravate it" and trying alternating heat and ice IF there's no obvious inflammation (if there is, stick to ice)
 
Ohh, ok. The knee pain comes and goes. The other pain is pretty constant, I've only been sleeping on the "old" side or my back. I tried the new side but it's too sore. But it was sore already before I tried, so it seems to be directly related to my getting off the walker altogether. I'm going to stick to ice because it is still somewhat near the whole incision area which is still swollen.

hoping as the days go on perhaps it will calm down.
 
Hi Law,
Glad once the incision was revealed it looks better than expected. Wondering if you've driven since you were released to do so? It is so nice to regain that independence, even if you don't go anywhere, just knowing I could drive if I chose to was enough to make me happy. :)

Congrats on progressing to the cane! Keep in mind that your leg endured major trauma, in a very small area, albeit controlled. Your muscles, tendons, ligaments and other soft tissue is going to cause you discomfort and pain for a while yet. Take any meds prescribed for as long as you need to in an effort to remain comfortably mobile and able to rest easy. Since you only recently moved from the walker to the cane, your gait likely changed again as you're getting comfortable with the cane. At not quite one month post op, pain is certainly not unusual. My best advice so early on is to rest / ice and try not to aggravate healing soft tissue.

Side sleeping will come in time also. All you can do is keep testing it weekly for as long as its comfortable, placing a pillow between knees while on your side. What helped me was an inexpensive body pillow, around $10 from Target. You can purchase them at most stores that sell bedding, as well as Amazon. I like it because it runs almost the entire length of my leg making it comfortable.

Thanks for recording your recovery here for the benefit of those healing right along with you, as well as behind you. I hope you have a lovely Sunday and week!
@Law
 
Thanks! I am allowed to drive some time in the next week. They had told me a month, so that's tomorrow already. I'm going to just try very locally first!

i figured the glute/tfl pain it was related to the cane.
 
@Law What's the rush? You are less than one month out. Discomfort is expected.

Please be very careful driving. Can you make an emergency stop?

If you are having more pain when switching to a cane, do back to the walker. There is no timeframe for transitioning to walking aides.
 
Oh I'm so glad you found a reason for the pain!
 
I don't know yet when I'm going to drive, I'm going to get in the car one day this week and see how everything feels, just sitting there. I mean, I was pretty strong before the surgery to begin with.
 
I mean, I was pretty strong before the surgery to begin with.
Yes, but your body has endured significant trauma. Just give yourself time to heal. All this is temporary. A short space of time for a lifetime of activity.
 
I don't know yet when I'm going to drive
When my surgeon released me to drive after my RTHR, he advised a couple of "practice" sessions in a safe place before heading out onto the streets.

If you use your right foot for the brakes, try slamming on the brakes a couple of times to see what your right leg feels. In an emergency, you don't want to have that leg give out!
 
I took "test" drive around block of my neighborhood first time (I live on a dead end so not much traffic).
Once I realized I could brake with no problem I was off & driving.
You are very early in your recovery & just because you were in great shape prior to surgery doesn't mean your recovery will be easier or quicker, please remember that cause I was also in great shape & had to learn Patience! I wish you the best & hopefully your recovery will be smooth.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom