THR Laura's THR - Tight Knee on Op Side

Thanks for that. It's a bit disconcerting.
 
Knee still stiff, it's getting old. We're working on hamstring which is tight and I had dry needling end of last week. And will probably do that again.
 
You must have liked dry needling? I never experienced it, but hope it brings a positive result.
Happy Tuesday, Law! :wave:
@Law
 
  • Like
Reactions: Law
Well, I had it a few times before the THR and it seemed to help. Not sure this time but because my OOP is met it doesn't cost anything, and my PT thinks it's worth trying. So we'll see.
 
Knee still stiff. When I'm standing I have to make a conscious effort to straighten it out. Running out of pt visits for the year soon so cut back to one a week. Really want this to be over.
 
Before I knew I needed both hips replaced, my knee opposite my worst hip caused me to go to my OS. They didn’t see anything wrong at that time. A year(?) later my hip was seizing up. I think it was how my body was compensating. Good luck with your knee!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Law
Oh boy. Mine is the op side, there's no pain, it's just super tight. My pt still thinks it's just from being a bit over conscientious after surgery. I was tight before anyway, hamstrings are always bad. But I'm just so over this, it's the last obstacle to being "normal" again.
 
Five months today. Still have the issue with the stiff knee. Before hip replacement I had no issue with my knees whatsoever and I was not limping that badly either.
I wish there was someone else on here who has had similar but I feel like no one is really reading this.
 
I'm sorry "tincture of time" and the stretching hasn't done anything.

My suggestion is to seek a referral to be evaluated by either a physiatrist (a doctor who specializes in physical medicine) or an osteopath or physician who specializes in sports medicine.

They don't do surgery and are able to look at issues with the soft tissues that most orthopedists simply don't focus on.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Law
Have you tried new orthotics in your shoe? Might help with knee...just a thought.
You might be striking your foot down while walking differently & causing knee pain???
Hope you find solution.
 
I find myself (8/31 and 5/20) having odd pains as I move about. I tense up going up and down stairs which makes my knee unhappy. As I go about other household tasks my shoulder is not the happiest. As I get better, these issues will go away or I will not notice them as much. I am still very much compensating for my new hips. This may not relate to your experience but I posted in case it helps at all. I do not do PT other than home exercise that was sent home with me.
 
I wish there was someone else on here who has had similar but I feel like no one is really reading this.
I will guarantee other members are reading your thread and posts, but if they don't have any advice, they're not responding.

I've had an issue with my knee since my THR. Initially, this was to the point that I inquired about it two or three times early into my recovery, before my OS recommended an x-ray. There was a minimal amount of arthritic change noted, but not anything worth fretting over I was told, until I was "ninety", hahaha, I had to laugh at that, because we know these changes normally progress.

I know you've heard this before, but the knee can be manipulated rather aggressively during the dislocation process and you may still be dealing with the effects of that. Unless it's keeping you from leading a normal existence, try icing daily with the hope it eventually dissipates, consider, mendogal's, advice above, or schedule a visit with your OS and see if he recommends and x-ray, if he hasn't already. My knee has never been the same, although seven years later, vastly improved to the point it rarely ever bothers me, or holds me back from any activity I want to engage in. Like you, I had no prior issues with my knees, nor did I limp excessively pre-op. However, I did limp if I was on my feet too long, or walked too much.

I hope you have a nice weekend, Law!
@Law
 
Thanks everyone. No pain. Just very stiff, I have to work to straighten it when I am standing. I've had dry needling three times and he's been working on calf and hamstring but to no avail.

But, this didn't kick in till about 2 months after THR.

X-rays showed no arthritis. I'm going to sports dr this week.
 
Hopefully that will yield some good suggestions!!!

If it's mostly severe stiffness, it's also possible a well trained (beyond the basics) certified massage therapist can do some gentle releases. After my knee surgery, mine did slow, gently moving hip and pelvis releases that were amazing.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Law
Therapeutic massage can be helpful- not a regular massage but one targeted to a specific issue. I did this when my knee was unhappy prior to my hip replacement. I think it helped. I think our bodies store stress and this can help address that as well.
 
Hi @Law :wave:
5 months post op, I remember this is when I got a lot tired of recovery and a little anxious about ongoing recovery niggles.:nah:
I'm sorry you are getting concerned about your knee...you know your body best so if you feel a consult will bring some more definitive answers - do pursue it.

Tightness is definitely a thing after this major surgery - and can take many more months to resolve.
You mentioned a lot of sitting before your op.... tight hip flexors (I had this issue) could be an ongoing problem (your PT may have been working on this?)
and can cause knee issues.

Some of the more aggressive exercises for this issue were scary to me but I found this one particularly helpful when done slowly and gently.... did it in bed in morning before I got up and moving.

Supine Hip Flexor Stretch:
  1. Lie on your back on the edge of your bed with both legs extended on the bed.edge
  2. Bend your unaffected, with your knee pointing toward the ceiling and your foot flat on the bed. Make sure your back is pressed flat against the bed.
  3. Let your affected side Ieg slowly lower over the side of the bed, keeping your back flat.
  4. Bend your knee back as far as you comfortably can, keeping your back flat and leg hanging off the bed.
  5. For an even deeper stretch, grab your left knee and pull it toward your chest.
 
I wish there was someone else on here who has had similar but I feel like no one is really reading this.
I am editing your thread title to reflect your concern. Let me know if you want to change it...
Maybe someone who has had this issue will share their experience, or it could help someone in the future.:ok:
 
@Law …. While my post op hip issues aren’t exactly the same as yours, it took me quite a while to zero in on the problem with the help of my therapist. My surgeon wanted me only 50% weight bearing for 6 weeks after surgery and, during that time, I messed up my body alignment and gait, plus got super tight muscles. If you want to read about the process I went through, here is a link to my recovery thread. Things are finally back to normal for the most part. I just need to regain strength in all those muscles that got out of whack.
 
  • Friendly
Reactions: Law
He poked and prodded and did find a few spots that could be problematic, I'm going for an MRI this coming week insurance actually approved it immediately which was shocking.
 
Good luck, Law. Please let us know what you find out.
@Law
 
  • Like
Reactions: Law

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom