THR Laura's THR - Tight Knee on Op Side

Welp, it's this:
Mild extensor enthesopathy.
It involves tendons that are instrumental in straightening my knee, from above and below. my problem has been I've not been able to straighten my knee and that's because of this thing, which I had never heard of until now. I'll have to get some stretches and stuff from my PT and otherwise it's one of those things that you just have to wait out.
 
Hmm, I'm sorry. I need to read up on this. Did your surgeon give you any ideas of what caused it?
I hope PT helps resolve it soon for you, Law.
@Law
 
This was from sports dr, I start with him when I'm not sure what's the problem. I have to call him tomorrow and see what he thinks. But it started after the hip replacement. My physical therapist thought at the very beginning that it was because I was so cautious in the beginning perhaps I just was not really bending my leg that much or something And maybe that caused it? I'm not sure that's even possible.
 
I talked to sports dr, he said either it was brewing before surgery, but if so it was very under the radar, or maybe there was something I was doing when I was recovering that through those tendons out of whack,. Regardless will never really know for sure.
But what I have to do is what is called eccentric negative exercises. So for instance if I do a squat or a plié in barre I have to go very slowly on the way down and that works with those muscles. Or I massage across right above my knee cap and below (as opposed to up and down). And then I have to look up stretches.
 
6 months today. I still have a swollen area around near the scar, it's numb, but I know everyone says that part is normal but I definitely feel like a raised area about the size of my hand, is that normal?
 
Around & near my scar felt "lumpy" but I wouldn't have called it swollen.
It all resolved itself after time passed but honestly do not remember how long it took.
Scar area now is barely visible.
 
The area around your incision can seem more pronounced, tender or numb for months beyond your surgery.
It will likely continue to evolve over the course of your first year post op. I do recall a numb area around my incision that lasted until around nine months post op or so before I realized one day it was gone.
Have a good week, Law!
@Law
 
  • Like
Reactions: Law
Well I might not have been totally clear it's not the scar itself that's raised it's just the whole general area to me feels like it's a little swollen. The scar itself is actually pretty flat. It's just so hard to know what's normal and what's not and I find it kind of weird that they did this and now I don't see him again until six months from now!
 
6 months today. I still have a swollen area around near the scar, it's numb, but I know everyone says that part is normal but I definitely feel like a raised area about the size of my hand, is that normal?
Read up on 'healing ridge' and see if that matches what you are feeling.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Law
Well I might not have been totally clear it's not the scar itself that's raised it's just the whole general area to me feels like it's a little swollen.
I understood what you meant. The tissue in the surrounding area may feel more pronounced, not just the incision. It should continue to flatten or smooth out over the course of the next six months.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Law
6 months today. I still have a swollen area around near the scar, it's numb, but I know everyone says that part is normal but I definitely feel like a raised area about the size of my hand, is that normal?
Hi there. I have exactly the same as you regarding the swollen area around the scar and I am now 11 weeks after surgery. It hurts when I sit duwn for a longer time and it also doesn’t feel nice in the moment I sit down.. I don’t know what this area is and it’s really a big issue because if it wasn’t for that swelling that makes everything difficult I would feel really fine .
 
Hi, was yours posterior? so mine was anterior, it's a bikini scar, so the slightly swollen area is on my thigh right below that.
 
Mine is what you call posterior I think. I’m really worried what it could be? It feels extremely tight as soon as I sit down . It just doesn’t go away.
 
Oh, ok. That I don't know, sorry!
But you're still in earlier recovery too.
 
Almost 7 mths. Still have this tendonosis/enesthopathy and it's really a drag. Doing the eccentric exercises as prescribed.
 
Almost 8 mths, and this thing still persists....I suppose it's a teeny bit better but I am so over it at this point. I ,may go back to ortho office.
 
It's probably just the normal course of recovery @Law.

But, if you are concerned, you should definitely call for an appointment with your surgeon. The timing of follow-ups is not hard-and-fast rule. I remember mine saying to come back at one year --- unless I needed him sooner.

Please let us know.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Law
Hi Law,
I am sorry you're still enduring the tendonosis. Thankfully it's a little better rather than getting worse. I wonder if it would offer you some reassurance to check in with a member of your surgeon's care team and see if they have any advice words of encouragement to offer, at this point, or if they feel you should make an appointment for an exam. Something to consider. Know that we're here for support always. I hope you have a good week!
@Law
 
  • Like
Reactions: Law
Yes, just reading this. Thanks. I did actually make an apppmt for the end of this month. I don't think there's anything drastically wrong but this is just taking such a long time.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom