THR Laura's THR - Tight Knee on Op Side

Law,
It took me a good year to feel close to "normal" again. Year 2 going on Year 3 I'm back to my old self.
Unfortunately for many of us the recovery takes longer than we anticipated.
But it's good to go see OS & maybe get X-Rays to see if there's anything going on. I was so worried my first year of recovery I had many X-Rays.
But all was fine.
 
He took an X-ray of my knee when I had my 6 month follow up but it didn't show anything because it's the tendons. I'm doing everything I'm supposed to as far as eccentric exercises and it's just taking way too long. The hip and everything else is doing great it's just this tendinopathy that is ridiculous.
 
Finally saw original surgeon, he does knees also. He really had nothing much to say. said the MRI results were unremarkable and that I should keep doing the exercises. He also recommended I take an nsaid, but I told him it's contraindicated for my diverticulosis but he said if you could try Celebrex for like a week see if that helps any with the inflammation. I had taken it right after the surgery for a couple weeks and it was all right so I guess I'm going to give that a go.

I'm at nine months tomorrow.
 
I'm sorry this is dragging on so long. Sadly, tendons can indeed take a long time.
 
  • Sad
Reactions: Law
Welp. Celebrex made my blood pressure go way too high so I can't take it anymore. So now I'm back to where I was. Seven months of this.
 
I'm so sorry!

Is PT still working with you? Have you returned to the sports med doc to see if there's anything different that might be added ?

It's possible there's something different in movement or hands-on releases by a highly skilled person familiar with your history and diagnosis might be able to provide - maybe a doctorate-prepared PT?
 
  • Like
Reactions: Law
Unfortunately I ran out of PT visits for the year, so if this it's still an issue in Jan, I'll get a script for more and try again!
 
I may try Voltaren, the topical. Not sure it will do anything for the inflammation and stiffness and it may raise my blood pressure but I might as well try it.
 
It appears I have bursitis now too....I'm ten months out. This is pain like I've never had before, except maybe an infected tooth once.
I went to er yesterday because I could barely walk. They took X-ray and hip itself was ok. But she pressed in a certain spot on outside of hip and that hurt a lot, so they said it was bursitis. But I wonder if I shouldn't have had a cat scan.
Anyway, they told me to get Voltaren. But I just read that you're not supposed to use Voltaren on your hips…
I've been trying to get through to my ortho all day long they are just the worst. All I know is I can barely walk and it's almost impossible to sleep and I cannot deal with this pain for much longer.
 
I'm sorry you are struggling with so much pain, @Law. Are you taking anything for the pain? Does icing help at all?

Getting hold of doctors during holidays can be so difficult. If you can't reach your ortho, can you try your primary care physician?
 
  • Friendly
Reactions: Law
@Law …. I’m not sure where you read that you shouldn’t use Voltaren on your hip. Can you please provide a link to that information? I’m not aware of any problems with using it for hip pain. The only thing is that it hasn’t been extensively tested for that joint like it has for others. But to my knowledge there is no medical reason why you couldn’t use it on your hip since you are far enough out from surgery that everything has healed.
 
I can never figure out how to quote on here so I'm replying to your comment above about the Voltaren. I had just read that it's not approved because they don't know how effective it is based on the location of the hip as opposed to an elbow or a knee which I guess are easier to reach.
My primary care wouldn't have been much help in this situation. I finally messaged on the portal and someone called me back this morning at 7:30 if you can believe it! Their office was closed yesterday but their phone system was not directing people to the answering service and she said when she didn't have any messages on her phone she got suspicious and that's why she checked the portal this morning. Anyway she also thinks it's probably bursitis but of course does not want to do anything further without seeing me so she said someone will call me tomorrow and I can hopefully get in tomorrow or Friday. In the meantime I'm icing and doing the Voltaren and taking arthritis Tylenol because I'm not supposed to take nsaids for a couple of different reasons.
This pain is really horrible and it's just all so upsetting and I don't even know where it came from.
And what's so funny is that I spent all of Christmas so happy because a year ago I was already nervous about the upcoming hip replacement in February and I was so glad that it was behind me.
And to add insult to injury, if this had happened a week or even two earlier it would've all been paid for because my out-of-pocket was met in 2024. Now of course I have to start all over with deductible, etc. and I've been unemployed for over a year and a half. So needless to say this is not the happiest of New Year's for me.
 
Sorry you are having problems with the quotation feature, @Law. Perhaps this will help:

First, there is no need to quote if you are replying to the post directly above your reply. You can also mention the member you want to address by using the @ sign in front of their username (no space) and type your reply.

If you want to quote just a line in a post, highlight that line.

At the bottom of the post you will see:

Like/ +Quote/ Quote this message.

Click the +Quote

When you get to the reply box, you will see where it says “insert quotes” Click that and it will put your highlighted area into your reply.

Happy Posting! :flwrysmile:
 
  • Like
Reactions: Law
Happy one year to me. No celebrations here though, I'm having a microdiscectomy next week for a herniated disc L4-5. Didn't have this on my Bingo card.
 
HAPPY ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY, Law!
I am sorry you have to endure another procedure next week.
I hope it goes well and you have a smooth recovery. Take care!
@Law
 
  • Like
Reactions: Law
Thanks. Had surgery yesterday, out patient, feeling pretty rough today.
 
Hi Law. I read a handful of your more recent posts. I believe you just had a procedure for a herniated disc. But you were told you had bursitis. Are the 2 connected somehow? I ask because I get intermittent pain in my outer hip. I was told by 2 doctors that it might be a touch of bursitis. One of the doctors also told me that I have a couple of "nasty" looking discs in the lower back (L-5 being one of them). He sort of implied that pain in the outer hip, running down the outer thigh could be due to disc problems.
 
Law,
Hope you start feeling better regarding recent back surgery.
Daisy I don't think there's too many of us over 40 that haven't messed up their backs & have a herniated disc here or there.
I had bursitis after hip surgery & in both hips even though only my right hip was replaced. If you press the area & it's very painful more than likely it is bursitis. Ice & alternate heat helped as well as gentle massaging, with arnica gel.
After my first year of recovery I went back to work & within 3 weeks could barely walk & I was sure I messed up my hip somehow. But MRI revealed I had spinal stenosis & pain resolved rather quickly but there's certainly a link with back pain & hip pain & the two can get confused at times.
 
@daisyduck0801 when I went to the er the first time, they poked around because at the time, my pain was more groin than leg. And my immediate fear was my hip, so they pushed around there and it hurt, so they decided it was bursitis. Which very well may be, but in my case the issue is the herniated disc L4-5 which was crushing the nerve and eventually caused extreme weakness and pain in my right leg. I literally had zero reflex in the leg.

So yes, to your post, I'm pretty sure L5 is the outside of the leg and can cause drop foot. Mine was L4, so my pain went from growing down the inside of my leg Nd inside of my shin.

I had an extraforminal microdiscectomy.
 
Ahhh....ok. So pain coupled with compromised mobility sounds like that equals (or could equal) nerve issues (which could be related to compressed discs). That thing you had done...what a mouthful. Had to look that up. So you just had your surgery a few days ago, right?

How are you feeling today?
 
  • Like
Reactions: Law

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom