Revision THR Krista's Gluteus Medius Repair 1 Year post THR

@Krista Wow! Driving and getting out to all the shopping spots. No wonder you are having spasms. You are probably doing too much! I am just guessing of course. But it makes sense. Good plan to wear boots for secure footing. You sound like you are doing so well in the recovery. The weight bearing will come but equal weight distribution and using the walker while doing weight bearing on both legs is the best place to start. Sorry
You can't get to PT due to the weather. That is discouraging but smart to wait until you can be safe.
I enjoy reading your posts and progress! Keep it up!
 
@SwimGirl, yeah, doing a bit too much AND the side-sleeping. I'm not sorry about cancelling the PT. What I do at home in my everyday living is way beyond what they have me doing there at this point, and I don't have to risk falling to get there!

Ha ha, @Irish Joe! Yes, glutes can be such a pain. It is SO nice to be free of it after 16 months. It's only 7 weeks after my tendon repair surgery, and the butt pain is gone. Have some aches in other places on my thigh, but those are lessening. I can finally see light at the end of the tunnel!
 
@Krista, I'm so pleased with your recent recovery reports. Great that you're driving again. Enjoy it.
You must have had fun baking those pumpkin pies and maybe you can do some more baking during this Christmas season.
I've only just learned to make pumpkin soup. But maybe next year, I'll try making pumpkin pies as well. Pumpkin dishes and also Halloween are becoming more and more popular in Germany, too, especially the children love it. In my generation, it used not to be so common, and that's why I've only just discovered the pumpkin as a healthy and yummy vegetable at my old age of 60 :). And my husband agrees with me.
All the best to you and a wonderful Christmas time - Constanze
 
Hello, @Constanze, how sweet of you to check in with me! We love pumpkin. I made a chocolate-pumpkin layer cake for my sister's birthday over the weekend - pumpkin cake with walnuts in it, and chocolate icing. Pumpkin is a great squash for eating. I love Halloween, just for the decorations, dressing up and sharing sweets - nothing sinister at all!

I am taking more steps unaided every day, and I feel so strong. Today, I'll be doing that only inside, since it is 0 degrees F, with a windchill of -18. That's -18C, with a windchill of -27C, for my European friends! It's brutal here, weather-wise. Sunday it's supposed to go down to a low of -28C, not counting the windchill.

Hope you and yours have delightful Christmas holidays, too!
 
@Krista Just checking in to see how your recovery is coming. I'm so happy to read of your continuing recovery. I'm so glad your no longer in that awful pain. I'm doing well. My hip is 100% healed and absolutely no pain. I'm having problems with my left knee now, I think for overcompensating for my right side. Going to have X-ray done Friday. I'm staying on top of this and getting it fixed asap if that's what's needed. I'm tired of restricting my life due to joint pain. Any way, you continue to take good care of yourself. No one deserves a complete recovery more than you. Merry Christmas to you, your wonderful husband, and all your family.
 
Oh, @sherrymorss60, your post made me smile! I get a little better every day, feeling terrific in the morning, and then worn out in the evening. But my house is like a winter wonderland, beautifully decorated inside, and with a foot of snow on the ground, and -2F outside, going down to -11 tonight! I am loving life right now, and looking forward to having both of my adult children with me on Christmas for the first time in 5 years, maybe?

It's super that you are aggressively going after what's wrong with your knee. We do overwork the non-surgical legs, as my protesting joints can attest. So happy to hear that your hip is in such terrific shape. You went through a lot getting there, and your message gives those of us who are still in recovery a great deal of hope! Merry Christmas to you and yours this holiday season, Sherry, including your cuddly, furry friends!
 
Thank you Krista. Your good news about your recovery also made me smile too. You are such a sweet person and certainly deserve the best. My 5 Puggies send Pug hugs to you too. Take care of your self and get as much rest as possible. Easy does it is the best recovery course.
 
Last night I got my socks off, and clean ones back on, without using any aids! That's the first time since the beginning of July. I can walk without aids (in the house), not perfectly, and only in the morning, when I am fresh, but I can do it! It's interesting how it feels to do that, after 17 months of the walker and crutches. I don't have much pain in my hip or glutes any more, but my lower back feels stiff and wrong. I know that using walking aids for so long has meant that my core strength has been diminished, and then having that compression fracture in my T-11 vertebra last summer didn't help either. The strength will return, I know it!

I am off this morning for the second day in a row of shopping and running errands with my sister. Weather has gotten warmer, and it might get above freezing today. There's been no new snow since the weekend, so if I am very careful, I can maneuver around icy spots while using crutches outside. Feeling good!
 
Good to hear you are on doing ok and I wish you all the best in the New Year.

I still have some soreness and pain in my hip and have to sleep on the non surgical side but other heatlh problems now and going for a catscan of my head due to a lot of pain and muscle spasms in my right cheekbone and temple and earaches and vision issues. Its been a worry and really just wanted to focus on my hip recovery and sciatic issues but this has been going on since October 1 so discouraging.

However, I hope you have a great holiday and continue to improve and be careful with the snow and ice. I am terrified of falling and we had some freezing rain and snow and I just stayed indoors. Now its all melted so I get out and walk while I can. A fall would be very serious for any of us during recovery.

Best wishes for continued improvement
 
Krista,
Happy to hear you are doing well, and getting your life back. Enjoy the holidays.
 
@canoewoman, oh my goodness, that IS worrying, all that about what is happening with your head. Good that you are getting the cat scan. Hope you can catch a break and get over all of your difficult symptoms, and have a better 2017! I, too, am terrified of a fall, and am ultra careful. I'm sure I'd break into a bunch of pieces if I fell! Enjoy those walks, and I hope you can enjoy the upcoming holidays!

Thanks, @Pumpkln, and may you have happy holidays, too!
 
I had anterior THR Nov.22 so
Just one month out. My question is why I have a burning pain just above my knee towards the outside? I'm walking about 2 miles every other day, exercising twice a day, able to dress myself etc including socks and shoes. Feeling pretty
positive but the pain, is it from swelling?


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Hi, @janenegv! Welcome to BoneSmart! I would suggest that you start your own thread with your question, so that you can get the whole of BoneSmart working on an answer. Go to the main page and click on Post New Thread, or just click on it here, to do that.

It sounds to me like you might have a soft-tissue problem going on around your knee. If you start your own thread, one of the medical people here will ask you more questions and help pinpoint what's going on.

At only one month out, I wonder if you are doing too much, too soon, especially if you are having new pains. Here is the article about Activity progression for THRs. Swelling can definitely cause pain and discomfort.
 
So glad to read how well you are doing @Krista! Remember to not do too much and have a very Happy Holiday!:tree lights:
 
Thanks, @Tweetybrd! You are just the nicest person! Your surgery is less than a month away now. Wish you didn't have to wait so long. Very happy holidays to you and your loved-ones, too, and, ditto, on the darling emojis!:tree lights:
 
Last night I got my socks off, and clean ones back on, without using any aids!
Now that is a milestone to celebrate! Seriously, it sounds like you're doing great--I'm so glad this recovery is going so well for you.
 
I have just been catching up with your thread. Your certainly have been through such a lot since your hip replacement. I am glad they finally found the cause of all the pain you were having post surgery and I am glad that you seem to be making a good recovery since the repair. I hope it continues to be so. Did you ever find out if the torn tendon was due to incompetence during the hip replacement or do you think it occurred post surgery?

I noticed you had a fracture of your T 11 vertebra which had been repaired with a Balloon Kyphoplasty procedure. I have never heard of this before. Has it helped with pain and stability in your back? I read up on the procedure after I saw your post. I do remember you commenting on having osteoporosis on a previous post.

It is a pity you had difficulties using the c-pap machine. It has certainly helped my husband although he had to try different masks and has changed from a nasal mask back to a full face mask since coming out of hospital but there is still air leakage from the mask from time to time and the machine beeps. Despite this happening it has done a lot for his sleep apnea. He puts distilled water in his machine so he does not suffer with a dry mouth as it acts as a vaporiser. He gets it checked and serviced from time to time at a local c-pap machine supplier. He has only been using the machine since the beginning of the year. He hired one for a month before getting his own. The government supplies a free one to pensioners if they hire one for at least a month and use it every night for at least four hours. Then one puts in an application for the government to supply a machine. There were only a few models from which he was allowed to choose. He did say it gives him awful wind from time to time and some of his snoring buddies you use one also say the same thing. He also has the start of emphysema and is trying to quit smoking.

I did mention the possibility that I might have a torn tendon or muscle to my OS since I have difficulties but he dismissed the idea at the time. I don't think he ordered a MARS scan for me next week so I hope they can get enough detail when I have my scans. He has ordered a tc body scan bone scan.
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom