Revision THR Krista's Gluteus Medius Repair 1 Year post THR

I'm very happy to hear how well you're doing. Sounds wonderful with a lot to look forward to. August at North Manitou Island looks great.
 
Congrats to you Krista! You have been on quite a journey and by posting it, have helped other people. You sound wonderful and many of us will relate to the 'small' victories that mean so much to us, balancing on one foot, walking upstairs, etc., they *do* all add up. Bear Dunes Lake looks amazing and what a fun trip to look forward to.. enjoy!
 
Have to agree with @Horseshoe.
Your journey is an inspiration to those of us still on our journeys. The important thing is to deal with issues as the come up. My knee and back still bother me a bit but I've been getting something done about it and feel all the better for tackling the issues. Krista your ups and downs show all of us that sometimes it takes quite a while to get things sorted but we get there at some stage.
I wish you continued improvement and good health.
Joe.......
 
Hi Krista. Have been reading your thread and the stories of your marathon recovery. For someone who has yet to have the surgery ( tomorrow is my big day ) it is very encouraging to see this very positive stage you have now reached. It has no doubt taken a lot of patience and resolve to overcome the hurdles you have faced, but I am so pleased for you that normal day to day life is within reach again. Hope you continue on your upward path and that you get to that gorgeous beach this summer.
 
Thanks to you all! I am very tired of the aches and pains that I still have, but I have truly learned patience during all of this. It helps enormously that I don't have to return to work and don't have any outside pressures to "improve" quickly. It also helps so much to have you lovely people in this forum, to share what we are going through and support each other through the trials and the improvements of healing.
 
@Krista Just saw your report from Feb 21. Slow but sure works! How wonderful that you're out and about and back in your life.
 
Hi @Krista.
How are you getting on with your cane.
Slow and easy is Definatly the key to your progression.
Hope you keep improving a little.
Joe......
 
@Irish Joe, I'm doing well. It's hard for me to see progress from day-to-day, since I always FEEL about the same, i.e., stiff, hurting in many places, including places that are NOT related to the surgery due to my previous back injury, OA in other joints and old-age-related things. BUT, the key is that I am doing more and more all the time. More bending, more household chores, more trips to stores and walking, more comfortable sleep, more fun outings. I like using the cane when outside, as I only need the tiniest bit of support, and using the cane instead of a crutch allows my back to do more work and help my back muscles to get stronger. In the house I try not to use aids, but still use the rollator walker often because I am always moving things from one part of the house to the other, and I can only carry very light items in my arms.

I do think I will get there! I am 18 weeks post-op, and I've come a long way in the last two years. I just passed the two-year anniversary of me falling in that mud room and hurting my left knee, which necessitated the over-use of my right leg, which made my hip start screaming and made the hip replacement necessary sooner than it would have been otherwise. I did NOT celebrate that anniversary!

Hope you are hanging in there with your knee!
 
Krista.
How are you good and kind lady.
How are the best Glutes in the Mid-West.
Joe...........
 
Hey, @Irish Joe, I'm doing well, tooling all over my house with no aids, and only get a tired leg by the end of the day. My glutes are all attached, healing and getting stronger all the time. My surgeon said 6 months for recovery, and I am on track for that. Today my sister and I go to a craft show in a college field house - big space - lots of walking, and it'll be a good test for the glutes. It's so nice to be easily doing things that I couldn't do for the past few years. :SUNsmile: I'll be checking your thread for progress. :fingersx:
 
Hello, @Irish Joe! It finds me well! I finished PT last week, and, since spring has finally sprung, the weather is nice, and I have been walking. I can now go for a bit more than a mile at one go, walking briskly, using two trekking poles. It's been years since I could do that. I am now regularly hitting higher step counts than before my THR for the first time. I will be working my way slowly up to several miles. And we are planning that backpacking vacation to North Manitou Island, and short visits to other natural areas in the north mid-west, in late summer.

I still have all kinds of osteoarthritis pains and other kinds of pain in my body, but the THR hip is strong. I don't even dream of being pain-free, but being more mobile is good enough for me. And I can do so much more around the house, relieving my husband of duties he's been doing for a long time.

Hope you have a lovely Easter weekend!
 
@Krista.
Delighted for you. Recovery is sometimes Just feeling better than we were.
I hope you get a chance to dip your toes in the Cool Water of lake Michigan.
That would be a picture.
Joe....... (Also much better).
 
Happy Easter Krista. It's great to hear you are doing so well with your recovery. That holiday in North Manitou Island sounds worth all the physical effort you are making towards your recovery so you can go hiking.
 
Here's my 6-month post-op update. Today I went to a mall and walked the dickens out of it! Just a few months ago, I could barely get from one store to another without sitting down to rest. I used a cane, and walked nice and upright without a limp. I did errands before and after the mall, and didn't get overly tired. I ordered some things I will need for the backpacking/camping trip on the island this summer, one of which is a strong, very lightweight and comfy camp chair that I will take with me all over the place, in camp, the beach, the dunes, the forest. I'll be doing plenty of walking, and I will need a good place to sit and rest. Sitting on the ground won't be doable! I don't care if mine is the only chair on the island. If it makes the trip possible for me, then I will have it. Yesterday I made pizzas, which I haven't had the energy to do since 2015. Overall, I feel better than I have felt in years, although there is always pain and stiffness somewhere in my body. But I can live with it, and maybe it will improve over time, who knows!
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom