Revision THR Krista's Gluteus Medius Repair 1 Year post THR

Thanksgiving was a delight! I did only two things for it - made those pies, which turned out really well, and stirred the gravy. Otherwise, husband and daughter did it all.

I am 5 weeks out from surgery now, and I have one more week to wear this brace. I am royally sick of it. I have to wear baggy clothes to fit over it, and it is heavy and uncomfortable while sleeping. It is doing what it was intended for, though, which is to remind me not to move in ways that are bad for my recovery. I've been walking around a fair amount, being mindful of my limited weight-bearing.

Next week on Thursday, I ditch the brace and then the next day I'll be going to my first out-patient PT session, which will be mostly an evaluation. I won't let them hurt me! I want to learn how to safely get my gluteus medius and minimus muscles back to working after 17 months off. My only goals are (1) to not tear my GM's again, and not incur any other soft tissue injuries, (2) to be able to walk well, no limp and without aids, and (3) to be able to reach my feet to cut my toenails. It's been at least 3 months...!!!

Tomorrow I am going to a craft show with my sister at my kids' old high school. I go every year, and am so excited to see the familiar crafters, and old friends and teachers. I'll take breaks when necessary. On Sunday, my husband and daughter will go get a tree, put it up, and hang the lights in the porch windows. I've done some easy decorating in the living and dining rooms, where I spend most of my time, and I'm enjoying looking at them a lot. Life is pretty good. Minimal pain, sleeping well, hope for the future!
 
@Krista I bet you're sick of that brace! I didn't realize you had to wear it while sleeping as well (although that makes sense). But you're almost there and ready to move to the next phase of recuperation. The craft show sounds like a good day--lots of those happening around here this weekend and next as well.

And the holiday decorating brightens things for sure--I tend to decorate with plants and greenery. I usually cut the greens from my own trees but not this year--I'll go to a local nursery instead.
 
@gertie, I have started working towards full weight bearing, thanks for asking! It's been 4 days, and I am still using my rollator walker most of the time indoors, and two crutches outdoors. I am putting equal amounts of weight on both legs when using aids. Occasionally I will take a few steps without any aids, such as when going into the pantry or a closet or the bathroom, where it is hard to get the walker into. I can tell that it is going to be awhile before I can walk normally unaided. My gluteus medius, especially, has been hardly used for a year and a half. I still have some aches and pains in my surgical hip and thigh, but that is to be expected after only 6 ½ weeks out from surgery.

I've been trying to sleep on my side, and it has been difficult. I have pillows all around, and a large pillow between my legs, but I always wake up a number of times in the night due to some pain and discomfort. Can usually go back to sleep fairly quickly, but sometimes not. I slept on my back again last night, back reclined and knees up, with my hospital bed settings engaged. Felt better than the side sleeping, but I get the awful dry mouth because of my sleep apnea. I got old my chin strap and will work on keeping my mouth closed while sleeping. I'm using the biotene gel to keep my mouth moisturized. I keep it close at hand so I can just pop some in when I wake up with cotton mouth.

I will continue to work on side sleeping. And I'm sure I'll be able to walk unaided some day. I went to my first PT last week Friday, as it is required by my surgeons. It is in their practice, and their conservative guidelines are followed to the T. I even brought in a copy given to me by the surgeon and handed it to my physical therapist. She just did some very gentle massage, which felt good, and we did 4 very simple muscle squeezing exercises while I was sitting down, reclined. I have two scheduled per week, and may opt out of any more starting in the new year, depending on how I am doing.
 
@Krista This all sounds like good news! Glad the PT is paying attention to OS cautions.

And I see in an earlier post that one of your goals is being able to cut your toenails! Mine too! I finally went to our local senior center where there's a foot clinic once a week and got mine taken care of--easier than dealing with a pedicure chair.
 
You are lucky to have that clinic, @gertie! If I can't get to it soon, I'll just go to the podiatrist and have him do it. I can hardly look at my feet anymore!
 
Today is the best I have felt since surgery! I was walking more without my aids in the house, and it felt great! I am so excited about those few steps I can take on my own. Outdoors is a nightmare of ice and snow, as we got another 8 inches over the weekend, and when I went out, I took tiny two-inch steps while holding on to crutches for dear life, while my sister walked ahead of me spreading calcium chloride pellets -- just to get from my house to the garage!

I did so much today...trip to local mall to go to the Apple Store for new battery in phone and ordering an Apple Watch, Bath and Body Works (to smell wonderful holiday scents), Crate and Barrel (for 40% off ornaments - I'm addicted!!!), and tonight to a local classic cinema to see an old, black-and-white Christmas movie with my sis and hubby. And I'm not even that tired! A miracle!

Also, I did the driving. Felt completely natural doing it, no pain or worries. Amazingly, I am coming back. Haven't driven much since the end of August.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Krista That all sounds wonderful (except for the snow and ice--sounds like you're taking baby steps across the slipperiness). Do you have grippers for your shoes or boots? And also wonderful that you're driving again. Yay freedom!

Snow and ice here as well and I'm stepping very carefully indeed.
 
I went to sleep on my side last night (pillow between legs, of course) and woke up a couple of hours later with dozens of extremely painful involuntary muscle spasms in my surgical thigh. Got up, took awhile to be able to walk, since I was still having spasms. My husband woke up and helped me. He got me my muscle relaxant pills, and I took two. Finally managed to get to bed, this time on my back, in the reclining position with my legs up. No more problems during the night. I am sure it was the combination of doing too much too soon and the side sleeping. I'll be sleeping on my back for the next week. Ugh.

@gertie, I wear my hiking boots when venturing out in the ice and snow. They don't have special grippers or spikes, but they are very sturdy and have thick soles that grip the ground very well. We must be very careful! My previous surgery, the THR, was in the month of July, so I never had this to deal with before. I was very cautious over last winter, and have not had a fall since the THR in 2015. Crossing fingers!!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Such good news @Krista apart from the spasms of course. I'm guessing a reaction to the activity? Funnily enough I seem so conditioned to back sleeping that even though I'm off that restriction I habitually go to sleep that way. Old habits. I do now turn in the night though. Just watch that ice and snow - but so glad to hear you're able to get out and about. It makes such a difference doesn't it.
 
@Miss Muffet, I'm sure the spasms were from doing too much yesterday and side sleeping. My surgical leg just doesn't tolerate it well yet. My problem with back sleeping is that I have obstructive sleep apnea while sleeping on my back (not when on my side), so back sleeping results in many (upwards of 60) awakenings and unconscious arousals each night, most frequently during REM sleep, and horrible dry mouth, resulting in totally non-refreshing sleep.

I tried using a CPAP machine last June so that when I was recovering from surgery I could get good sleep, instead of like after my THR when sleep was horrible, but started wheezing the morning after the first time I tried it. I kept going for two weeks, and the wheezing got worse and worse until I had to stop using the machine. It took me 6 weeks to get over the damage to my lungs, had to have steroid pack and start using ADVAIR every day (which I still must use), and I never really got back to the same lung health I had before CPAP. So I am reluctant to try it again while I am still weakened and debilitated after the surgery. I have a hospital bed, and for back sleeping I am reclined, and with my legs up, but I still have the apneas and wake often and have the dry mouth. Plus, it is very hard to be in the same position all night long. Can't really do it, and must wake up, just to jiggle my body around a bit so I don't get pressure sores!

That's why I'm really looking forward to successful, restful side-sleeping again.

I've decided to cancel the 6 more PT appointments I had scheduled through December. It is just too dangerous for me to even get to my car in the unattached garage. I'm cancelling another doctor's appointment, too. I am just going to stay home and do things here, safely, until I am more comfortable with conditions outside, or until they improve. When I go places with my sister and husband, they hover around, carry any bags, pull the car out closer, put my crutches in the trunk when I get to the door, and shake the calcium chloride over the ice in the places where I need to walk. I just can't manage on my own with all of this ice and snow on crutches, and with the sub-freezing temperatures. It is going to be -15 degrees F one day and below zero F for several days in a row this week.
 
Ah @Krista - that's just too bad. I hadn't appreciated the sleep apnea. You truly are a warrior and such a wonderful example to us all. I'm just relieved you aren't going to take any risks with the snow and weather and, as you say, take things steadily at home. You've done so incredibly well so far it would be such a shame to undo all the good. And such such warm support from your dear sister and husband - that truly is love! :roseshwr:
 
Awww, thanks, @Miss Muffet! I am so happy, now that I have cancelled all the appointments! I'll just stay home unless my husband can go with me to fun places, like out to dinner, so I can hang on his arm with one hand and use my crutch with the other. I have a Christmas Cookie candle burning with a lovely smell, and am looking at my pretty, decorated tree, doing only what I want to do!
 
Christmas cookie candle? Sounds scrumptious! :reindeerlights:
This is actually the best time of year to be snuggled up with no need to hunt for an excuse. :snows:
Thank goodness for hip surgery! :yahoo:
 
@Krista, it was good to catch up on how you're doing. So glad to see that your surgery was successful and that you are enjoying life again. I have been out of touch for a while myself. I have been feeling great since my last post here. My hip feels great, but having one leg longer than the other throws me off a bit.
I have been traveling a lot since September. I want to get in all I can before having to replace my other hip. It's just a matter of time now.

In any case, I will keep you in my prayers for a full and total recovery in a short time. It seems you are well on your way and I couldn't be happier for you!
 
Thank you so much, @Mscant! I have been feeling pretty good, overall! Just took a few steps without the walker and felt fairly steady.

I am so happy you have gotten to travel. I haven't been anywhere, except for hospitals and rehab, over the past two and a half years, and I am so antsy to go somewhere. My husband will be retiring soon, and whenever I am ready, we will be off!

Best of luck to you with your next THR. And good luck coping with that leg length difference. It would be hard to have to deal with that. Take care!
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom