• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

Revision THR Krista's Gluteus Medius Repair 1 Year post THR

Krista

post-grad
Country
United States United States
I'm having my long-awaited surgery tomorrow, Oct, 27! SO looking forward to being able to walk unaided, without pain. I know that there is no guarantee of recovery, full or otherwise, but I am hopeful, and will do all I can to make it work.

Here is my Hip Demon picture. It was part of an MRI image taken last January, and has a face that looks like how it feels inside of my hip, and is in the location of the problem! Appropriate for the Halloween season. Creepy!

Screen Shot 2016-01-30 at 9.01.27 PM.jpg

Brief summary:
-right THR July, 2015
-have never been able to walk unaided since then
-have had constant pain in surgical hip, thigh and buttock since then
-went for second opinion at 6 months post-op when original surgeon could not diagnose my problem
-diagnosed with torn gluteus medius muscle/tendon via MARS MRI and physical exam in Feb, 2016
-2 surgery dates cancelled, once by surgeon, once because of vertebral compression fracture of T-11
-2 surgeons will operate Oct. 27, 2016, one to repair the gluteus medius, one to check my prostheses
-possible revision, but probably won't be necessary
-will wear brace to limit movement for 8 wks, 20-pound weight-bearing, no PT, self-care only
-then will start PT, with strict limitations to avoid tearing the GM again, but allow for strengthening

Here's the thread I started when I discovered BoneSmart in January, 2016. I am so grateful to have found BS, as it has been invaluable to me in being able to cope during these 15 months.
6 months post-op, still can’t walk unaided without limp'

Surgery is bright and early at 7am tomorrow. Don't know when I'll feel up to posting, but will do so as soon as I ever can. Wishing great outcomes for my fellow hip surgery triplets, @SwimGirl and @gertie, who will be having their operations tomorrow, too! And may all of us October Feisties have fantastic results!

Last edited by a moderator:

SwimGirl

senior
Country
@Krista Ah! There you are! Have been wondering. Good that surgery is still on! Wishing you and @gertie all the best with great outcomes as well. God Bless and prayers for all! We will be here on the other side tomorrow!! Yeah!!!
Go October Feisties!!!!

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@Krista this has been such a long journey for you. All the best tomorrow. Your BoneSmart buddies will be waiting here anxious for an update. See you on this side soon!

sherrymorss60

Country
I've been thinking about you. I'm so glad your finally going to have your surgery. I'll be sending prayers and good wishes for a successful surgery and an uneventful recovery.

OP
OP
Krista

Krista

post-grad
Country
Thanks, @sherrymorss60! I, too, have been wondering about how your recovery is going, after that rocky start. I've been imagining you enjoying life. :)

sherrymorss60

Country
I'm doing pretty good. Absolutely no problems with my hip. My left knee has now started to be a painful problem. I'm seeing my doctor November 9th to see what can be done as a stop gap measure while I continue to work on losing weight. I'm still too heavy to have knee replacement surgery if it has to come to that. I've lost 120 pounds so far, but still have more to go. At least we have the gout under control.

Well again dear lady, I'm hoping all the best for your surgery and will be looking forward to your report when your feeling up to it.

keepmovin

Country
Greetings @Krista! Well, I see you FINALLY made it! As I write this, you are probably in surgery and maybe even done at this point. I would occasionally hop on bonesmart to see how you are doing so this was such good news to see you hit no road blocks this time around.

Positive thoughts that all went well and look forward to your recovery thread. And, of course, you will know the drill...slow and steady but healthy and speedy recovery!:friends::SUNsmile:

Blessings,

Pumpkln

Country
Krista,
Sending you well wishes and positive thoughts for an uneventful surgery and recovery.
:friends:
Looking forward to seeing you here,

OP
OP
Krista

Krista

post-grad
Country
Things went so well! I only had the muscle repair, no prostheses were replaced. Up and walking a bit 5 hrs after surgery. Eating clear liquids, but need anti nausea meds in order to keep them down. NO pain meds yet.

Had general anesthesia, no block of the leg. Getting oxygen. BP and everything are fine. I feel good!

Was horribly woozy at first, but now much better. All is fine in Krista hip land. Have gotten the hip demon chased out!

Wearing the brace. Will stand up again tonight. Husband coming soon.

Thanks so much for the good wishes! I can't "like" them on my phone app, but just know that I do! Be back soon...

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Tweetybrd

graduate
Country
Yay!!! So glad it all went well and they didn't have to do a revision. Get some rest. Know we are all thinking about you and wishing you all the best. Hugs!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Redpurse
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom