Revision THR Krista's Gluteus Medius Repair 1 Year post THR

@Grannyhippy, regarding the cause of my tendon tears, I never got any answer about that. It is my understanding that the gluteus medius and gluteus minimus muscles are teased apart lengthwise for the antero-lateral approach to THR that I had. They were then sutured up. My new surgeon said that sometimes older tissues (I was 67 at the time of the op) don't heal well. It's possible that they didn't heal, and that they tore a bit more down into the tendons. Or, I could have torn them after the surgery. I had in-home PT for 10 sessions, starting a week after the op. It was all very innocuous, except for when she had me do this. I would be lying down on my back, and then lifting my surgical leg up to 90 degrees and straightening out my leg and holding it there (using a towel over the bottom of my foot and holding on to the ends with my hands) for 30 seconds at a time. I didn't have BoneSmart for my THR, and I didn't realize that this was over-the-top and totally unnecessary to do. It might have caused the tears, since I am sure the sutured-up glutes were not healed at that point. Other than those two possibilities, I don't know how it could have happened. Surgeon had no idea, or was unwilling to bad-mouth my previous surgeon.

The balloon kyphoplasty has most certainly stabilized that vertebra. When a vertebra is broken into pieces, unless they fuse together on their own (which they will usually do given enough time), you can continue to have problems with pieces shifting around and causing trouble. Also, the kyphoplasty gives some height back to your vertebra that is lost in the fracture, so that the bone isn't quite as bent. In 2011 I had that compression fracture of my T-10 vertebra, although I didn't know that was what had happened. I soldiered on through it, and it healed on its own, so a kyphoplasty isn't absolutely necessary in all cases, I guess. My T-10 is more of a V-shape than it was before the fracture.

Glad the CPAP works for your husband! I also have a humidifier and added distilled water. My face mask worked well, and I used it for 7 hours a night for two weeks, when I stopped using the machine. My apneas went down, and all was fine, EXCEPT for the fact that I started wheezing on the first morning after I started using it, and it got worse every day. The consensus is that both low and high humidity (and low and high temperatures) can trigger asthma episodes, even for people with mild disease, like me. The suggested optimal humidity range for those with asthma is 35 - 50%. Most likely the air from the machine that I was breathing into my lungs was too humid, triggering asthma symptoms of wheezing, coughing and chest tightness. It took me 6 weeks to get somewhat better, and I am not back to normal yet. I still use a steroid inhaler every day. Dry mouth is caused by having your mouth open to the air, and I still get it when I have to sleep on my back, even when I use a chin strap. Somehow, the strap always falls off. I even have dry mouth occasionally when sleeping on my side, and I am not a mouth breather during the day. I don't have sleep apnea when on my side, so things are much better now that I can sleep in that position again. Have been doing it successfully for almost a week now, after 6 months of back-sleeping.

You very well could have a torn gluteal tendon, or some other soft tissue injury that prevents you from walking well. In your thread you said that you feel unstable when you walk and lose your balance. The gluteus maximus and minimus both work to keep your hip steady when you walk. It's something worth considering seriously in your case. As I said on your thread, the best ways to diagnose this are from an MRI (you need a MARS MRI if you have hip replacement prostheses in the same hip as the instability) or a musculoskeletal ultrasound. I had diagnosed mine just from the way that I was completely unable to balance on my surgical leg, even 4 or 5 months out from surgery. Many people can balance on it right away, or certainly within a month or two. Given enough time, though, if the disability continues long enough, you know something serious is wrong. When I saw my new surgeon for the first time, he did a physical exam, probed for the painful parts, saw how I couldn't balance, and immediately ordered the MARS MRI to confirm his tentative diagnosis of the torn tendons.

Hope you can get a correct diagnosis, @Grannyhippy!

Thanks much, @Irish Joe. I am planning today to walk around as much as possible without the walker, and challenge my muscles a bit more!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
9 weeks post-op update, all positives!

A week ago I started side-sleeping and usually make it through the night that way, although sometimes I have to go to my back again, using the electric hospital bed to incline the head and bring up the legs. So my sleep is much more refreshing.

Inside the house I can walk around most of the time without the walker, until my muscles get tired later in the day, or unless I want to carry something on the seat.

I definitely do not naturally walk correctly, but have a limp, with weakness and stiffness in various places. I make a conscious effort to give equal weight to both legs, and walk heel-to-toe and swing my arms, and can sort of do it when trying hard. This is a big improvement from pre-surgery. I will have an order for PT, and may do some. I'll see how I progress on my own.

I am now showering without the tub transfer bench or shower chair.

I can bend over and pick things up from the floor. I do that very slowly.

I can get dressed and undressed without aids, except for occasionally still needing the sock aid to get the sock on my surgical leg. Sometimes I just can't reach over far enough.

I only very occasionally take the muscle relaxant and/or acetaminophen, and that's only when I have had a very big day or some thigh muscle spasms, which I don't get often.

Yesterday I had my biggest number of steps since May, 2016, for a total of 4,005 steps or 1.9 mile. Before that I only had a few days with that many since before my THR in July, 2015. Before the THR I always had at least that much, and often double or triple. (This info just automatically goes into my phone, no effort to collect it on my part.)

My son visited from California this week (just went home today, boo-hoo) and we went out to eat every day, and a couple of times I didn't even take a crutch. Stayed close to hubby in case I needed support.

I am driving, and I will be able to support my sister who will be having cataract surgery in both eyes in the coming weeks. I am so happy that I can return the favor to her, after she has done so much for me.

All in all, I am feeling pretty darn good, although I still have significant weakness in the surgical leg. I know that is for two reasons, first that tissues are still healing, and second that my gluteus medius and minimus muscles are very weak from 1 ½ years of non-use, so I am being patient. Waiting for the diagnosis and for a date for the second surgery taught me patience, and I am very encouraged with my progress so far.

Happy New Year to all BoneSmarties! May we all do well with surgeries and recoveries in the coming year. :wow:
 
Great update @Krista ! So happy you are well on your way to pain free living!
 
@Krista.
I'm thrilled to read your update. Steady progress now and you'll be flying in 2017. Happy (and healthy) new year.
Joe.
 
@Krista , what a fantastic load of information - so interesting, & helpful!
So glad to hear you are doing so well - I really hope 2017 will be a good year!! :wave::yay:
 
Hi @Krista I am thrilled to read your latest update! You went through so much and now you are seeing improvement.. that is wonderful!!
 
Hey @Krista.
Great to hear that your improving a little every day.
Lovely pic of your family in the 2017 new year thread.
Keep smiling as much as possible. Its the simple things that count.
Joe. ...
 
I'm 13 weeks out from gluteus medius/minimus repair today and saw the surgeon, who said I am doing very well, and I don't have to return for a year! I was cautioned that the tissues won't be fully healed until I am 6 months post-surgery. He says it is normal that I still limp a bit, still have some pain and use a crutch. I've been doing physical therapy for the last couple of weeks, 3 times a week, and it has been very helpful. The massage has helped to loosen up stiff muscles that have been overcompensating due to the weakness in my glutes for the last year and a half. I have improved in strength, flexibility and balance. I will be going down to twice a week from now on. I balanced on my surgical leg for 20 seconds - amazing! I couldn't balance on it at all pre-surgery.

I've been sleeping very well, and on my side! I vacuumed recently for the first time since I can remember. And stripped the beds, and did 3 loads of laundry. My husband carries things up and down the basement stairs. I've been cooking meals and going shopping and out to listen to folk music and watch movies. So, I am doing MUCH better, and I know that I will continue to improve and be able to do more things that I enjoy. I am well on the way to walking normally and am not impatient. After all I have been through, the very small improvements I see every week make me very happy!

My husband mentioned that this summer, if I'm able, we can go on a lovely camping vacation to the wilderness island of North Manitou again, in the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore in Michigan. We've been there before and love the gorgeous beaches and easy hiking on the island. That's my long term goal, to be there again in August. Here's a pic of me there in 2014.
[Bonesmart.org] Krista's Gluteus Medius Repair 1 Year post THR
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Krista 13 weeks! You're doing so well. I love the picture--and your goal of returning there this summer.
 
@Krista Thank is such a great report of how well you have been doing. I am so happy for you! I am sure you will just keep getting stronger and stronger. :)
 
The lake looks beautifu . it will be wonderful for you to go back after your long recover . I go tired reading all you have been doing
 
@leejaa, I can understand why that would make you tired, since you just had THR yesterday! Wishing you a wonderful recovery and that you will be home very soon.
 
That holiday sounds just wonderful and something for you both to look forward to and that water looks very inviting. It must feel so good to receive the fantastic news that you hip recovery is doing so well.
 
Hi Krista.
Good to see you roaming the forum dispensing encouragement.
Hope you and the Glutes are Well.
Joe......
 
Thanks, @Irish Joe! I'm about 17 weeks out, and doing incrementally better every day. It's slow, but sure. I'm walking more and more without aids, especially in the house. We've had great weather, no ice or snow, so I've taken a few longer walks around the neighborhood, using a crutch. But my stamina and strength are improving, and the glutes are getting stronger. I still have a limp and tend to bend over a bit when I step on the surgical side, but my PT says that as my glutes get stronger, that will ease. I continue to be active, going out often, and we are currently watching a friend's dog for 3 days, and I take her for walks! She's only 9 pounds, so no danger of causing me trouble. I'm loving life!

Hope your knee isn't as angry!
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom