BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs. If your surgeon is not listed, please let us know and we'll get them added.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

[MUA] knee so stiff<<

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by bland9, Jun 19, 2017.

1. tabbykit

tabbykit member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Sorry to hear you have to go back to work, @bland9. Are you still doing stretches every day for calf muscles and Hamstrings ? Also you could ice and elevate after work. If your surgeon suggests another MUA when you see him, if I were you I might then be looking for that second opinion. Please let us know what happens.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. bland9

bland9 senior

Had to smile today I could not bend leg enough to get into my brothers car to go to a auction - forced it in the end to get into the car also the looks when sitting in chair and my leg/foot sticking out - people think I was being awkward - guess that happens with a rom stuck at 70 , something I got to put up with at present.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. bland9

bland9 senior

Don't know if anyone else experiencing this but when I walk upstairs I notice I have to swing leg outwards before each stair tread. wish also I could walk without hanging onto my crutches- yes coming up to 5 months tkr and still rely on crutches .

4. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Are you in the process of seeking a second opinion?

5. bland9

bland9 senior

@Jockette - seeing my Surgeon on the 19th of this month- waiting to see what he have to say and will take it from there- its not so easy in this country to seek another surgeon opinion like it in the USA. Have to exhaust one avenue at a time before asking for another

6. Jockette

That’s what I thought. I’m sorry things are not coming along better for you. I’m also sorry you can’t just call another doctor for another opinion like we can here.

Other than arthritis, did you have any other medical issues with your legs that would indicate a less than normal outcome after having the replacement?

7. ApricotPie

ApricotPie member

I noticed that myself. I have to consciously pull the leg and foot up straight. I can do it. It's just a bit more uncomfortable. I don't use crutches or a cane, but I hang on the the railing just in case. Of course, I have done this for years after it saved my head from being cracked open when walking down some slippery painted concrete steps. Who in the heck paints outside concrete steps?

I also tend to lift my right hip when riding the stationary bike. The therapist caught me at it. I did not realize I was doing it. Again, I have to consciously push down a bit on the hip. It makes the top of the stroke a bit more stretchy. I guess that's the point.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  8. bland9

bland9 senior

Really does look like in my case a failed TKR = cannot understand when on xray all looks well and surgeon states nothing wrong with prothesis just stiffness. why cannot I straighten the leg, had MUA not been successful, so frustrated . really cannot face this all again and may lose knee all just because of stiffness ?
    @Jockette I had no problems with my knees/leg prior TKR apart from the main reason.
    Now I got more problems with both knees than anyone can imagine ,having my knees done I almost becoming partly disabled . its perhaps my biggest mistake I made having my knees done

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  9. Jockette

This is why I think you need to really push for a second opinion. Maybe @Jaycey can offer some suggestions, she lives in the UK. @Celle may also have suggestions as she is familiar with the UK.

I also feel my partial replacement was the worst decision I ever made. While my knee is not as bad as yours, it is much worse than before the surgery.

However, second opinions are not always helpful, I’ve had 2 second opinions and none of them will look past my perfect X-ray to order more tests to see why it feels so bad. But, it is manageable so I’m just carrying on as I can until something goes really wrong with it, then they’ll have to do something.

I hope you find a solution.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  10. bland9

bland9 senior

@Jockette -thankyou for you thoughts and advice:thumb:- Just to say you must had read my thoughts .I too really not going to go through it again well in the near future, two weeks time im having to return to work too and that really concerns me. cannot afford to lose my job and my home etc.
    really wished I had waited until I retired which is 4/5 years time

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. marieltha

marieltha senior

Hoping you improve soon.
    Even with both knees fixed, my knees and hips (flexors? Glutes?) do not like a biking motion, not even in deep water in the pool.
    Slow walking (charm school style: heel toe, even head, really concentrating to not limp) is the only thing I could do when it ached.
    Don’t give up hope. The BS message about time may give you relief.

• Like Like x 2
  12. bland9

bland9 senior

I keep reading comments on here , its really hard when you read so many positive comments and they getting better. when I walking with crutches nearly 5 months post OP, mine you this aspect not unusual I been walking with two walking sticks since first TKR and to be honest I really have to stop myself from wanting to tell all STOP don't have your knees done , Im just one of the very few who experience so much trouble with knees. its so frustrating just wanted to be normal again and one sad fact -all I asked in the beginning - I be happy if I could return to my beloved cycling again. unfortunately this will never happen. Sorry for the moan . I not depressed or sad unfortunately this is life - needed to let off a big crumble:groan:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  13. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    I'm sorry but I no longer know any doctors in the UK.
    I found out last weekend that, even though I am a UK citizen with the right of residence, the UK NHS has denied me the right to use it, since I have lived elsewhere for longer than 2 years.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. bland9

bland9 senior

Talking to a Surgeon (casual talk ) involved with orthopaedics at the hospital and he states I really should not be in the state im in and told me its really looks and sounds like a failed TKR - so in that case how long do one have to wait for a Revision or loss of knee which I hope not has I was told it might be

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Jockette

Keep after your medical team for another official opinion.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I would be the squeaky wheel that gets the grease and demand a second opinion. Your OS has had way too many chances already.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. bland9

bland9 senior

Just for my own curiosity - what is the cause why I cannot straighten leg- Surgeon say stiffness but surely its more than that ?

18. bland9

bland9 senior

Thinking of my MUA I had a few weeks ago - what a disappointment did not increase any extension of flexion at all had no pain with it-complete waste,
    wondering if an arthroscopy would be thee next course of action considering failed MUA, really don't want a revision -has cannot take much more time of from work- its a real concern

19. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Many of us have suggested your getting a second opinion. Have you tired that? It sounds like your knee is out of your doctor's ability. I certainly don't have any other answers for you.

20. bland9

bland9 senior

@sistersinhim
    Got to see my Surgeon on Thursday 19th Sept and waiting to hear what his prognosis is and see where I go from there. asking for referral if im not happy with outcome.
    Around my knee cap really sore feels like a bruise when I touch it. though pain decreasing but straighten leg still not evident - rom stuck at 70 . getting so its beginning to feel normal walking with a bent knee and crutches -strange how one can quickly adapt to being partly disabled. several neighbours of mine are also waiting to have knee replacement but now they are really concerned seeing me - My advice is go for it -I just an unlucky one,thoughit hard to remain positive and give my blessing to anyone who have a knee replacement