MUA knee so stiff<<

I understand your feelings that you might have been better off waiting for your knee replacements. I’m one of the members who didn’t have a smooth course through recovery. I had a second opinion about my first knee replacement about 5 months post op. Even though my original OS told me all was fine in the X-ray, the second OS took an X-ray and he and even I could see a problem with it right away. It was the best thing I could do was to get a revision a few months later. It was difficult to get time off, but well worth it. Get that second opinion. I found the recovery from my revision was easier as I kept seeing a steady progression in flexion and extension.
 
I am in the UK and I can understand your worries. Have you talked to your GP as I am pretty certain you are allowed a second opinion.

If you mentioned it to your consultant following your appointment, especially if you’re not happy with his response. You can politely state that you would like a second opinion. I know it’s not going to be easy. But I would question your options, this is your life after all.

Try to think positive and I do hope you get some satisfactory advice and help.

Kind regards Maria
 
just for my curiosity -if the surgeon states I have a failed new knee replacement , how soon can I have a revision
 
I think that’s a question your surgeon should be able to answer. However I’m sure someone more qualified on here can advise.

Good luck, take care

Kind regards Maria
 
I had a revision 8 months after my initial TKR. I could have had it done a few months earlier but I had to wait for the right time for my job. Just make sure the person doing the revision has done a good number of them before. I had a different OS do mine.
 
Cant wait to see Surgeon tomorrow really hope to get some answers,
Noticed I got no swelling on knee - foot swelling going down but still tingling in foot, medial side still hurt and tender , left tkr knee getting really tight and the tight banding feeling is returning due to me putting a lot of my weight on that side ,and finally I guess he be surprised when I WALK into his office still hanging onto crutches and bent leg still evident.
 
Well surgeon say xray ok - no infection and no loosing - so basically got to live with a bend- told its is the best its going to get- so partly disabled now unless it improves. Im one of the unfortunately do not have a positive outcome. WISH I never had the knees done -would had rather live with the pain until I retired- unfortunately back to work next week in worst state than I went off sick
 
Push for another opinion. Don’t take one doctor’s word that this is all you get. He just doesn’t want to do anything. Find a doctor who will.
 
Let's see if @Jaycey can help you find a different surgeon to get a second opinion. Can you please let us know (either in your thread here or in a Personal Message) who your original surgeon is. We want to be sure to stay away from him or any of his partners. Would you be willing to travel to see someone else? If so, how far would you go? You don't have to accept this outcome and are entitled to additional opinions.
 
@bland9 Jamie is right - you do not have to accept this as your only result. If you also tell me which hospital you had your surgery in it would be helpful. At a minimum we need to find you someone who will listen to your concerns and help you move to a more positive position.
 
Are you having physio? If so what do they say? Might be helpful to know. If you are not you should be able to self-refer to the NHS as we do here in Scotland.
 
Please search out a second opinion. You do not have to live like this. Someone will be able to fix you.
 
@Jaycey I have sent PM. also really like to know how do I self refer to another surgeon in UK without having to ask local GP first. if I was going Private then its a different story
 
@bland9 got your PM but it is set to not accept replies so will post here. Unfortunately it will be very difficult for you to find someone not connected to your current surgeon unless you can travel out of the area.

Mr Philip Hopwood has some good surgery numbers and does list revision in his specialties. Unfortunately he operates out of the same hospitals as your surgeon so he may not be open to taking you on as a patient.

Would you be able to pay to cost of a private consultation and then get on his NHS list? I did this with both my hip surgeries. In many cases you can schedule an appointment with the surgeon without a referral from your GP. Do a search for Mr Hopwood and find his private medical secretary.

If you think you could travel any distance let me know and I will expand my search.
 
Went to my GP today and discussed my TKR and he said it is not normal not having the ability to straighten leg and at this point of time and so he is going to send me to have another opinion at my local Hospital- feel awkward and wrong for doing this , but the end of the day cannot face life with a new walking disability .
 
Last edited:
There is nothing “awkward and wrong” about wanting your physical condition to be correct and pain free.

For some reason, we (humans) often hesitate to question physical “work/repairs” even though we would not hesitate if it were a question about work/repairs done on cars, homes, etcetera.

Please feel good about your efforts.
 
@bland9
FYI: I thought more about your feelings and realized I, too, had felt awkward recently about requesting some unacceptable dental work be redone. I wrote about these feelings (and the redo) in my knee thread. You are not alone.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom