Guest viewing is limited

TKR Kiwicurls TKR 27 Feb 2024

OMG in terms of mobility, sitting up, energy level, EVERYTHING I wasn't nearly ready to go out in public at 2 or 3 weeks!!!!
 
@mendogal, the next meeting isn’t until the beginning of April but I don’t think I will be ready by then, to be honest. I remember going out to lunch with the family 5 weeks after the first tkr and having the leg down for 1.5 hrs was very uncomfortable. This person is the sort who’d be up running around an hour after surgery… you know the type : never stops!
 
( do you have Probus in the US? It’s a group for retired people and lots of fun,)
Not that I've heard of. At least it is not familiar to me, but you've inspired me to search it up and educate myself.
Hope you're able to get back to your group soon if it's something you enjoy.
Happy Wednesday!
 
Day 17
I didn’t get the same physio as last time unfortunately but they sent a young Asian man who was ok. He said I was doing fine, added two more easy exercises and left! I didn’t dislike him and if he can tick off those silly boxes to keep everyone happy that’s all I care about. There was a slight language barrier but it didn’t matter. When I said I wouldn’t do anything which caused pain or felt wrong he said “ok no worries whatever you like, all good, see you one week.”
Meanwhile, I’ll continue doing my own thing.
Last night while sitting back down to watch TV I accidentally pushed down on my leg to get further back in the chair. Big mistake! Searing agony shot through my thigh. I had little pain at all yesterday and it’s times like these I think we drop our guard and can injure ourselves. I paid for this stupid move all night but it’s better today.
My steri strips are starting to come off now. It looks ok.
I hope everyone has a good weekend.
 
Not that I've heard of. At least it is not familiar to me, but you've inspired me to search it up and educate myself.
There probably is a good group for retired people. In the UK we have the University of the Third Age. They organise talks and social events.
Searing agony shot through my thigh. I had little pain at all yesterday and it’s times like these I think we drop our guard and can injure ourselves. I paid for this stupid move all night but it’s better today.
Easily done. I jarred my knee a few times during recovery and you worry it's something serious- but if it settles in a day that's good. I dropped a bottle on my other foot recently and I must have jolted my knee as a reflex to pull it away.
It twinged slightly for the rest of the day and I worried even at 15 months. Just take it easy and ice plenty.
 
@EalingGran, Probus is worldwide and is short for Professional and Business club. However I’ve been told it’s usually only men who join in the UK and there aren’t many USA Probus groups.
Ours is men and women and it’s a great group. We are very lucky to have found it.
Ouch! I can imagine how much you jolted your leg if you dropped a bottle on it!
As the evening wears on I am getting more pain. Must be the two new exercises the physio gave me!
 
We have just seen on the news, the devastating tornadoes in the US. Praying you’re all ok. You sure get some weather extremes don’t you.
 
Yes, Indiana and Ohio, sadly involving some deaths. Just read it this morning.
It's early for tornadoes, but we've had the craziest weather this past Winter, nothing usual about it.

I hope the pain from the two new exercise eased overnight. Happy Weekend, kiwicurls!
@kiwicurls
 
@Layla,we here in Sydney have had a strange summer: not hot but unbearably humid. It was awful. But I think the weather has always changed over the centuries. It is what it is.
The two new exercises: 1. marching on the operated leg only
2. putting the operated leg out to the side then back down… I can do them but the sideways one in particular hurts. Nope. Won’t do it.
Then he said to do ten repetitions of sit-stand. Well, I figure I am sitting and standing every hour or more anyway so why should I do ten repetitions when it hurts to do it all at once? I will be firm with him next Friday ( unless you all think I should persevere with the repetitions???)
 
I think you (and all of us) do enough sit to stands in the course of our day. I was never given this as a PT exercise. I remember one member, motherbone, who broke her patella, doing this at PT, at 3 weeks post op. :yikes:

Marching is also unnecessary, especially this early in recovery, as seen in the following article:

You did so well last time, doing the rehab your way, so you already know what to do to encourage healing and a good outcome. Continue to be firm about doing what you know is in your best interest!
 
Oh my goodness, what an idiot I’ve been, doing those two exercises! No more and if he doesn’t like it when he visits next Friday he can get out and not return.
I managed a 15 minute walk around the garden today, can do quads with no problem as my extension is excellent and yesterday he even said my flexion was well past 100.
I am doing well. End of story !
I cannot understand why physiotherapists haven’t realised their approach is harmful. And surgeons? Great at their job but clueless in aftercare.
 
Not an idiot.... But your instincts are sound! Be active within reason.
I frankly never count reps. If it's an exercise that I'm comfortable doing and can see a reason to do, I do it very slow focused on breathing and control in both directions and do it until it feels like enough.
 
@mendogal, you make a lot of sense, as do all of the Bonesmart staff. I hope you all realise what a wonderful job you do and how much your sensible, calm and upbeat advice helps us.

I just did another 15 minute walk and folded a few clothes. Not many but I’m sick of husband putting my things away inside out and screwed up. He says, what does it matter? He is right but still…!

When I realised I’d been taken in by silly exercises I felt so annoyed that I had to get out the clary sage and lavender oils. To anyone who is feeling bad: a few drops on a hankie really helps calm you.
 
I laughed about putting the clothing right side out etc... but YES during the early stages of recovery from my TKAs I would have MDH bring the fresh laundry to the recliner and I'd sit up and fold. I would have him pull a tall stool by the kitchen counter and hand me things from fridge and cupboard so I could slice and dice perched, then stand at the stove a few minutes.
When the mind is still too unfocused to read a book, when the body is weak but cannot bear another minute of just lying there, getting up and doing short simple tasks more slowly and mindfully than is usual is excellent therapy in every sense of the word.
 
I think we all have a desire to please our medical teams even if deep down we know we’re doing fine, even if we’re not doing everything they tell us to do. :console2:

My sister is also a fan of lavender.
 
@mendogal, I ironed pillowcases yesterday for a few minutes too because I like the smell of them ironed.
Tomorrow evening I am making creamy lemon garlic chicken breasts with husband’s help. As long as I can keep moving around I am ok and with mashed pumpkin it’s not a difficult dish to make. Anything to stop the dog going crazy when husband is cooking! She definitely hates him in the kitchen but he gets her permission to vacuum, thank goodness or I’d have to pay a cleaner.
 
@Jockette , the addition of clary sage enhances the calming effect of lavender. I first discovered this when I entered menopause and it’s been a blessing ever since. It even came in handy when, on a flight overseas, I was stuck sitting next to a very malodorous person. I held that hankie to my nose for hours!
 
Then he said to do ten repetitions of sit-stand. Well, I figure I am sitting and standing every hour or more anyway so why should I do ten repetitions when it hurts to do it all at once? I will be firm with him next Friday ( unless you all think I should persevere with the repetitions???)
You are exactly right. We do these things off and on all day long anyway, so why add these harmful repetitions to our already natural PT?
I cannot understand why physiotherapists haven’t realised their approach is harmful. And surgeons? Great at their job but clueless in aftercare.
I don't think the therapists have had updated training on a joint replacement. OSs don't see us every day or how our soft tissues are healing. Their surgical skills are what they are concerned with, and that's fine. I'd rather have a good surgeon any day!
 
When I stood up last night to go to bed I had a very sudden painful spasm/cramp in my thigh. It was hard to stand up. This has happened three times and the cramp like pain lasts about 12 hrs but lessens in severity.
Has anyone had experience of this? I certainly didn’t have this last time.
I see my GP on Tuesday.
 
I think you might have twisted your knee a bit when you stood up and this angered your knee. Being the infant it is, I don't think it's anything to worry about. You will have pains here and there for the next few months. Remember, no two knees are the same, even on the same person.
 
Back
Top Bottom