TKR Kiwicurls TKR 27 Feb 2024

@mendogal yes, all soups but I still eat them. Change of subject:

I noticed many people have restless leg syndrome on this forum. I take a naturopathic remedy called rhus tox 30 and it works well for me. Maybe this could help others too? Only thing is, I wouldn’t take it alongside narcotics because it does make you sleepy.
I had a reasonable night but my ankle is still very swollen today.
 
I am just shuddering at the thought of you doing without ice because you don’t want to wake your husband. Ice has been so helpful for me to reduce pain. Is there any way you can get a machine with a pad that would keep cold longer than just ice? I have a polar ice machine. I got the large one so it stays cold all night. At more than 3 months out my husband still puts ice in it every morning and evening. It uses 16 oz water bottles so we have 2 sets, one in machine and one in freezer. I think some of the smaller machines last 4 hours or so. It also has a timer for on so many minutes then off so many minutes. I slept with it on for a long time, at first all night then went to bed with it on and took it off during the night. They are a little pricey but for me well worth it. Actually my mom bought mine for me for Christmas that year since my first surgery was in February, so I didn’t have to pay for it. I like not having to ask every time, although at first I needed my husband to put it on for me.
 
Hello and Happy Monday kiwicurls :wave:
Thanks for the suggestion re: RSL. I am going to check that one out to be better informed. We do have an article on Magnesium and I often recommend it for two reasons, it may support -
Muscle relaxation and nerves
Promotes healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)

Following is an article for if you haven't read it and ever need to consider an alternative -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

My mom found drinking 4-6 oz of Q-Tonic before bed, which is a water that contains quinine helps her.
Read the label as some of the waters do not contain quinine, but quinine flavoring instead.

I hope with some rest and ice, you're ankle is less swollen and you have a good day!
@kiwicurls
 
Day 7;
Just back from the hospital where they removed my staples. Wound looks good.
I hurt myself getting into the car. I had no trouble 2 years ago when it was the left leg but now the right one (operated one) has to go in first (passenger side is the left in Australia). I had the seat back as far as it went but it was very hard bending the knee to get in. I actually screamed with pain and gave the neighbour a terrible fright!
@Layla: I already take magnesium, have done for years for all the reasons stated. My ankle and foot are still swollen but I think it happened last time too. Quinine drinks make me vomit so I won’t use that.
My husband did get me the ice packs three times during the night. Apart from waking for the ice I slept well. The slow release palexia does make me very drowsy but my surgeon said to stay on it for the first two weeks. He is a big believer in controlling pain well in the first few weeks.
We can’t get ice machines like you have here in Australia unfortunately but I’m fine. I ice almost constantly during the day.
 
I totally feel your pain and scream on the car entry! Glad you have good pain meds ... hang in there!
 
My husband did get me the ice packs three times during the night. Apart from waking for the ice I slept well.
Great! It’s hard for us sometimes to let the other person do things for us especially if we are used to it being the one doing things for them….but you need the help and he is likely happy to do it for you. Glad you were able to sleep well in between.
 
Sounds like you have it all under control kiwicurls. I know members swear by the ice machines they use. I never used one, myself. I had a humungous ice pack my surgery site gave me and it worked very well. Had some spares in the freezer also so I never ran out. Interesting to read quinine makes you vomit. I understand wanting to avoid that! :wink: I hope you enjoy the week!
@kiwicurls
 
I hope so @Layla but the top of my thigh is very sore since I got into the car. Pain even reaching my groin. I probably strained something so it’s a step backwards today. Ah well, can’t do much about it.
 
Ugh. I am so sorry. Rest and Ice will hopefully bring speedy relief.
Sending a hug. :console2:
@kiwicurls
 
Thank you @Layla!
By the way, the homeopathic rhus tox I only take when the restless legs begin, not every day. Fortunately I only suffer occasionally but within ten minutes of dissolving the pill under my tongue the legs calm down.
The hospital also gave me a huge ice pack and, like you, I have a freezer full too.
One bright note today: my tenth book has been published. It always feels good to see it out.
 
Even though it's homeopathic I guess it's good you don't have a need to take it daily. Quick relief also, that's nice!

Congrats on your book being published. TENTH one...that's so awesome! :yay:
Good for you, kiwicurls. I'm happy for you! :yes!:
@kiwicurls
 
Hi. Could my thread title be changed to
Kiwicurls TKR 27 Feb 2024
Thanks!
 
Day 9
I hardly slept as the excess fluid in my ankle/leg seems to be draining away and I was up to the loo every hour. I remember this from last time. I wouldn’t mind but getting my leg back up on the pillow each time is agony. I can manage to swing it onto the bed without too much trouble but I certainly set things back the other day when I hurt it in the car.
Yesterday I walked for five minutes every hour but it’s so hot and humid I don’t really want to venture outside.
But onwards and upwards; Just had a shower and washed my hair, even if I used body wash instead of my shampoo. Bit of a mistake, that!

We had a very traumatic Christmas and now I’m sitting around doing very little, I am overthinking everything that happened. It’s making me feel a bit down and cabin fever is setting in. I feel like I just want to pick up my walker and run away from everything. But I can’t so I have to take my mind off things. Usually writing does this but my brain is too muddled to write just now.
Sorry to moan. It doesn’t help that our Probus group of friends are away on a lovely holiday together on Kangaroo Island! Ah well, my turn will come.
Best wishes to all of you. Have a nice day.
 
We had a very traumatic Christmas and now I’m sitting around doing very little, I am overthinking everything that happened. It’s making me feel a bit down and cabin fever is setting in
You are in my thoughts. :console2:
 
Oh @kiwicurls I'm sorry!!!

Feeling stuck and essentially having a bum knee (for now) does lead to ruminating... and this is definitely the place to bring it! Sending a ((hug))
 
You are among friends here and can always share your feelings along with your recovery. We care! :prayer:
 
Thanks @sistersinhim and @mendogal. I’ll be fine. I was just feeling sorry for myself this morning.
I just had a little nap and when I woke up I remembered the strange headband they put on my forehead in theatre. They said it monitored my brain waves so they could tell if I needed more anaesthesia or less. I have never heard of this before but I retired from nursing 3 years ago.. Already behind the times, I suspect!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom