TKR Kiwicurls TKR 27 Feb 2024

Thank you @sistersinhim for the reassurance. I have been worried about these cramps, particularly as I take magnesium twice a day. They are very bad and my thigh aches.
When I walk my knee occasionally buckles/ gives way, too. I wonder if this is just the quads needing to wake up?
 
Our thighs ache usually because of the tourniquet that's applied during surgery to control bleeding. It can last for weeks before fading away.

Yes, the occasional buckling is postop weakness generally in the quads. Are you doing the exercise called quad sets? It's the one exercise I find really valuable early in recovery. It's not about building strength so much as activating the quads. I would do them frequently, no bothering to count reps, just randomly, while relaxing in the recliner. It helped to gently lay my fingertips along a section of the quads - it helps the nerves and muscles figure out where you want them to fire.
 
I’ve been reading some other threads and am a bit shocked at how few pain meds doctors think TKR patients need.
Here in Australia things aren’t so bad, in my experience. My surgeon actually told me off in hospital for not taking enough analgesia and prescribed tapentadol 100mg slow release for nighttime. He said TKR is extremely painful and to take these at night for at least 5 weeks. I am at week 3 tomorrow and glad of the night time pain relief. During the day I take the usual panadol and nsaids but I do have stronger meds jf needed.
My heart goes out to those of you who haven’t been given adequate pain relief. It’s not good enough.
 
3 weeks today and I’m off to the GP for routine wound check. Just as well because there’s an area of redness at the distal end of the suture line. However, the other leg was the same and it was fine.
 
Good Luck, kiwicurls! Let us know how it goes.
You're Tuesday afternoon already and I'm Monday evening getting close to bedtime.
I like having friends across the globe :wink: :friends:
@kiwicurls
 
@Layla , sleep well. Yes it’s nice to have friends overseas. I have many in the UK and we have visited each other over the years.

Well, it seems I have a superficial wound infection and need antibiotics for two weeks. He’s not worried it will spread but two lots of keflex is required just in case.
The worst part was tackling his rather steep driveway to the surgery! I mustn’t be ready for slopes yet. Home now and icing like crazy. Even though I’m 3 weeks today, the effort of getting into the car, sitting in the waiting room etc has worn me out.
 
Oh, that's totally a major outing at three weeks, even without a superficial infection!
 
The worst part was tackling his rather steep driveway to the surgery! I mustn’t be ready for slopes yet.
Can your husband drive you closer to the building, then go park?

It took me a long time to do slopes, and I can still feel them, 7 years after my PKR! In the early months I would take a walk in my neighborhood but realized my sloped driveway was sabotaging my efforts, until I healed more and was better with the slopes. I still have to go down slopes more carefully than going up, especially if I‘m taking the trash can out to the street, or pushing a shopping cart in a parking lot.
 
Well, it seems I have a superficial wound infection and need antibiotics for two weeks
Aww, I'm sorry. Like you, I was hoping it was nothing. Thankfully it's superficial and the Keflex will clear it up.
Hopefully after some rest / sleep overnight you've recovered from the exhaustion the trip to the GP brought on. It's understandable it wore you out so early on. May today be a good day for you!
 
You certainly had a busy day at just 3 weeks out yesterday. Spend the next few days resting, icing, and elevating. Your body and knee need the extra TLC!
 
Thanks to all for your support. Looking at the suture line today I don’t think it’s infected at all but I suppose I should take the antibiotics.
The GP also told me to stop taking the voltaren as it’s not a very safe medication. It does give me heart palpitations. He wanted me to try mobic but it doesn’t work for me, never has!
I am really noticing the pain since stopping the voltaren (diclofenac). The GP said just take a tapentadol if panadol doesn’t work so that’s what I am doing. It’s only a 50mg tablet and I suppose one or two a day will be ok.
As you can see, I am a bit paranoid about taking strong pain relief but needs must.
Anyone else managed at 3 weeks without nsaids?
It hurts most when I am sitting at the table having a meal; top of knee/thigh feels as if it’s pulling but I know this is normal.
 
I don't tolerate NSAIDs at all (gastritis results) so for me it was prescription pain meds plus OTC acetaminophen. I did a very slow taper off the oxycodone.
 
We have been invited to a very good friend’s golden wedding anniversary in Queensland at the beginning of August. I would love to go but it’s a 12 hr drive from Sydney. Do you think if we made it into a short holiday and stopped twice overnight there and twice overnight back, it would be doable?
Or is this way too much driving? Surgery was end of February so I would be 5 months out. I’d rather not fly up. Too squishy!
We have a big comfortable car.
 
I did a short flight at about 5 months to visit family. I wasn't fully recovered but I enjoyed the visit. A lot of people here from the USA do long car journeys, fairly early on ( to visit hospitals etc) and seem to manage OK. I think the main problem will be that your knee still won't like being in one position for long periods.
I went to a play with very small theatre seats at around 6-7 months and my knee played up.
I think your idea to stop over on route is a good one. You may beed a few mini stops as well. It is also good that your car is big and comfortable. You may also find that you prefer to be the driver for part of the journey. When we would visit my son at about that stage ( just a two hour drive)- I preferred to drive part of it. The slight movement of driving was easier than being a passenger.
 
Hi @kiwicurls --I did an 8 hour flight at 3 months and it was fine. Some achiness and stiffness but not terrible. The hardest sitting for me is like what @EalingGran describes: sitting in seats in rows that are too close together, like at a play or concert--a problem you won't have on your car trip! I think you should go for it if you want to!
 
Do you think if we made it into a short holiday and stopped twice overnight there and twice overnight back, it would be doable?
That sounds like a really good strategy. At six months post-op my first TKR, I was able to tolerate a 5-hour drive with a couple of breaks to stretch and walk around a bit.

You should definitely go and enjoy the event with your friends. As you get further along in your recovery, you'll be able to judge better whether you need one or two stops along the way.
 
Thanks to everyone who replied! I know what you all mean by small theatre seats and plane seats are the same: your knee is bent horribly. That’s why I prefer not to fly up to Queensland.
It gives me something to look forward to during this long recovery. There are two days of celebrations planned (my friend has endless energy!) so it will be fun. We don’t see them very often and now we’re retired and no longer have ‘work friends’ the old friendships become even more precious.
 
Back
Top Bottom