TKR Kiwicurls TKR 27 Feb 2024

Whinging is most definitely tolerated here!!!
Hoping the need for it soon abates
 
@mendogal, I forgot to say I agree with you about balsamic vinegar and black pepper. I think we’re in the minority, though!
Re pain relief: I find diclofenac the best anti inflammatory medication and am taking it but you hear so many scary stories about nsaids taken for too long and causing heart attacks. My surgeon wanted me on celebrex or mobic but both have side effects which I don’t like.
I suppose I should stop worrying and just take diclofenac . It’s only been 2 weeks.
 
but you hear so many scary stories about nsaids taken for too long and causing heart attacks.
Taking this medication short term might be OK. However I took NSAIDs for many years due to spinal pain and pre-op both hips and developed heart problems. Probably best to discuss this with your family doctor.
 
I don’t know why so many people do well with canes, in my case I think I’m doing it wrong. My PT told me once that she thought I was overthinking it and trying to figure out how to use it, how much weight to give it, etc rather than sort of ignoring it and letting my body figure out how to use it.

The one time I did find a cane useful was my trip several months before surgery when I used it to go out into the ocean with my grandkids. Although I lost it in a big wave toward the end and had to rely on my husband on the way back. 30 seconds off my feet and it was gone with the current. Luckily it was a cheap one from Walgreens. We were out in the water about an hour and a half though.
 
Whining is allowed, so no worries. It seems like if it's not one thing, it's another during recovery.
I hope you're able to find something that brings you relief from the back discomfort. may tomorrow be a better day. :console2:
@kiwicurls
 
Hi @Layla
Today I have even more bruising! Back of my leg right down to my ankle is purple.
I am a bit annoyed as the surgeon insisted I take slow release palexia yet the hospital only gave me a few day’s supply. Apparently My own GP is supposed to see me this week and prescribe more. Problem is, it’s a husband/wife practice and they’re both away this week. Obviously I can’t front up at a medical centre and ask for narcotics when they don’t know me so I phoned the surgeons rooms. The secretary said he doesn’t usually write prescriptions for narcotics but she’ll ask him. She sounded very put out. Well, so am I. Really fed up.
 
Ugh. That's really unfortunate. It's too bad your GP doesn't have someone covering for her while she's on vacay.
I hope you're able to get the prescription filled so you can relax in comfort.
@kiwicurls
 
Re bruising... for this kind of slow oozing bruise, which I'm quite prone to, I have found arnica gel seems to resolve it more quickly.
 
The surgeon has written a prescription for me. The secretary called me back, very apologetic.
The day is getting better: Homecare are trying to get me the same great physio I had last time. If I have her again it will be fine. She used to give me a few gentle exercises then we sat around drinking coffee and eating cake. She never pushed and often said “you don’t need me”!
When they come to your home I feel you have more control too. If they push you, you can kick them out. Or your husband can. Or the dog…

I will try arnica on the bruises thanks.
 
Oh, glad you got this taken care of. I have had once or twice where I was really worried about running out of pain meds in the first week or two after surgery, and it’s not a fun situation. My doctor always came through but one time it was well after hours and I needed them for the next day.
 
@Layla Glad you had a laugh but seriously, I would not tolerate any physio hurting me. I still have ptsd from 18 years ago when a brutal physio pushed me so hard that the clips in my newly repaired rotator cuff popped out. Maybe I should have sued but was in too much despair to pursue it at the time. I woner now if my current shoulder issues are his fault too.
 
@Jaycey , I did discuss this with my GP years ago when I needed nsaids and he said it’s fine for a few weeks.
However: the more I read and research, the less I am convinced doctors know enough about the meds they prescribe. Who knows if you would have developed heart issues regardless or were the nsaids to blame?
 
I still have ptsd from 18 years ago when a brutal physio pushed me so hard that the clips in my newly repaired rotator cuff popped out.
Oh gosh...that is so brutal. I am sorry you had to endure that trauma. How frightening and discouraging.
 
Day 14
I am enjoying a good day today. Slept well last night; able to lie on operated side for two hours.
The pain isn’t too bad..mainly in my shin, strangely enough. Last time the discomfort was all at the back of the knee, this time at the front.
I shall enjoy the day because I know from past experience tomorrow might not be quite as comfortable!
I ‘ve even put makeup on and painted my nails a nice classy neutral colour ( as befitting a 65 year old.) Only joking! I wear bright red sometimes. Now I’ve retired I wear whatever I like. I love clothes and after a lifetime in hospital scrubs it’s good to wear dresses!
 
Yay for good sleep!!!
 
I hope last night went just as well, or even better! Sleeping for two hours on your op side sounds like great progress. I'm in agreement with a little primping, it felt uplifting to me. Keep on keeping on, kiwicurls!
@kiwicurls
 
@Layla, yes, I slept well thanks. Only problem was indigestion from too much garlic at dinner; my own fault entirely!
More bruises coming out behind my leg. The colours are quite spectacular. Much more bruised than the other leg was.
The pain is tolerable now and the slow release palexia helps at night.
I took the dressing off after my shower as it got wet. The lower end of the suture line has a slight ooze but in my expert opinion it’s just serous, not infected. I still have steri strips and can renew these if necessary. It feels better without the dressing.
Just had a phone call from someone in our Probus group ( do you have Probus in the US? It’s a group for retired people and lots of fun,)
She said I should still come along to the meetings and put my leg on a chair. Problem is, at this stage that’s not enough support behind my knee and the meetings last 2 hours. I might give it a miss even though I’m bored silly.
 
Back
Top Bottom