TKR Kiwicurls TKR 27 Feb 2024

I remembered the strange headband they put on my forehead in theatre. They said it monitored my brain waves so they could tell if I needed more anaesthesia or less. I have never heard of this before but I retired from nursing 3 years ago.. Already behind the times, I suspect!
Wow, that's amazing! It must have worked OK for you, since you didn't wake up during the surgery. Having to take the guesswork out much a patient needs is so much better.

You buy a computer, bring it home, set it up, and then it's already out-of-date. Things happen too fast!
 
I totally feel your pain and scream on the car entry! Glad you have good pain meds ... hang in there!
Hello I just had my fullknee replacement ...all is going good but my knee will not bend as required by Dr, been 4 weeks since surgery. First time on this forum. You have any suggestions?
 
How true @sistersinhim! The world is changing too quickly for me: I notice the sympathetic looks my lovely grandchildren give me when I don’t understand some computer related thing!
“Never mind, Gran. You still make great cakes!”
Ah well, at least I’m good for something!

I slept quite well last night…3 hours at a stretch. The bruising is coming out on my leg today. I am surprised because it’s day 10 and I thought any bruising would have come out before this???
 
Hi @strongbones
I see you’ve started your own thread now which is always best.
Please don’t worry about your progress, just read all of the information the wonderful Bonesmart staff give you. I did practically no physiotherapy with my first knee and it healed fine! Just follow the activity progression on Bonesmart, all you need. Best of luck.
 
The bruising is coming out on my leg today. I am surprised because it’s day 10 and I thought any bruising would have come out before this???
Mine surfaced on day 17 post op! Already a yellowish / greenish tint. Weird, huh? At least I thought so.
 
@Layla, day 17 is even more weird! Yes, a yellowish/greenish tint is exactly how I would describe it. Thanks for the reassurance, it’s always good to hear of others experiencing weird things like late bruising. You wonder if it’s those dreadful blood thinners.
 
Just wondering does anyone else feel a cane doesn’t help much when you’re finally off the walker? I have to use the walker for 5-6 weeks, same as before, due to foot issues but last time I felt vey insecure with a cane. Maybe it’s our slate floors, making the cane slip?
I don’t know but I see so many people using canes when I’m out, they must help some people! I went from walker to nothing last time but I wish I could get used to a cane.
 
Slate or tile can sure be slippery. Is there a good thick treaded rubber tip on your cane?
 
I haven’t got a cane @mendogal .
Last time the physio lent me one but I don’t remember what it was like.
 
I don’t like canes either. My exception would be for true balancing on very unlevel ground, but I don’t think a cane helps me at all on level ground. I know I must be doing something wrong, but I tend to lean on it causing myself back pain. I went from walker to nothing, used the walker a little longer than most though. When the PR kept suggesting I switch after the first few weeks I told her I would consider it if she could find me a cane with a coke holder. I had an organizer strapped onto my walker to carry my phone, ipad, coke, etc.
 
Thanks for the reassurance, it’s always good to hear of others experiencing weird things like late bruising.
I've read that deep bruising takes longer to appear and when it does, it appears less intense like both you and I experienced.

I didn't care for the cane once I transitioned from the walker either. It obviously is a change from the stability of a walker and if you're feeling unsteady, or your balance is off, it doesn't help any either. I agree with, mendogal, about the rubber at the bottom, can make a difference. Hopefully you won't need one for long, or you get used to it quickly. Happy Weekend, kiwicurls!
 
Hi @MSuki and @Layla
Good to know I’m not the only one who finds canes challenging. I will probably just do what I did last time.
Yes, the storage bag on the walker is handy. I carry all my meds in it too.
I have another challenge this time:
I have a massive tear in my rotator cuff which is now inoperable. I had a repair many years ago but it’s been painful for the past year. Investigations show the tendons are so shredded there’s nothing to reattach to so the shoulder specialist said there’s not much to be done except steroid injections every few months for pain. I hadn’t realised rotator cuff repair is only good the first time around.
Why am I mentioning this now? I must have been leaning quite heavily on my walker because the shoulder pain has intensified since tkr. I will try not to lean on it too much but in these early days it’s difficult not to, isn’t it.
I can’t have a steroid injection because of the tkr ( they are agonising too as apparently the scar tissue is like injecting into cement.)
So: any suggestions welcome? I must look hilarious sitting watching tv with ice packs on my knee and shoulder!
Hope everyone has a good weekend. I intend to watch silly funny movies. My Life in Ruins is a firm favourite… anyone else?
 
Hi again kiwicurls,
I am so sorry to read about the tear in your rotator cuff and that it's inoperable. You're right though, it is difficult not to lean heavily on the walker in the early days. I hope icing and the distraction of a movie brings you some relief and relaxation.
Check to see if your walker is the correct height. The top of the walker should line up with the crease in the inside of the wrist. Make certain that it is adjusted so it fits your arms as comfortably as possible, to cut down on stress in your neck and shoulders. Put your hands on the walker grips, and your elbows should be bent at a comfortable angle. Then relax your arms at the sides.
Sending you a hug and wishing you a peaceful evening and weekend! :console2:
@kiwicurls
 
Oh no, sorry you are having shoulder pain at the same time. It’s hard not to rely on upper body strength during recovery. Is the shoulder on the same side or operated side? I think it’s early days to transition to a cane, my PT started bugging me about it at about 4 weeks, but maybe she was waiting for me to be ready. If you have to walk less because of the shoulder don’t worry about it. Remember that the lion’s share of your progress is healing, not the result of working, and there’s always time to build muscle after you are further along.
 
@Layla, the walker is at the correct height. I am trying to relax my shoulders and not tense up so much when using the walker.
@MSuki, I am not using a cane before 6 weeks if at all, I was just wondering why so many find it useful when I don’t.
Thanks for the reassurance about walking and healing. So true.
@sistersinhim , I have tried a friend’s 4 footed cane after bunion surgery but I found it inadequate and just went back to the walker.
I am not quite 2 weeks post op and manage a five minute walk almost every hour when awake so I am doing ok, I think. I prepped vegetables for dinner last night too but it only took a few minutes and I didn’t stand still for long.
It’s the strangest thing but our border collie freaks out when my husband chops vegetables but is fine when I do it! Can’t figure it out.
My foot is shedding tons of skin now. Since the swelling has gone down.
 
You're doing fine for two weeks out.
I love your border collie story! Guess he's a believer the kitchen is women's work :rotfl:
 
My foot is shedding tons of skin now. Since the swelling has gone down.
It was so strange, but both of my feet peeled. I assumed it was because of the built-up fluids had affected my feet, too, but I just didn't notice any swelling in them. I could understand the TKR foot swelling, but the other one, too! Our bodies are amazing.
 
@mendogal, Our border collie is rather nervous and anything out of the ordinary seems to upset her…and yes, guess who always cooks! It’s like
“Why is dad in the kitchen? That’s just not right!”
@sistersinhim , that’s strange that the unoperated side peeled too. It must have gone out in sympathy!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom