TKR KathyH New Knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm rather annoyed with myself. I let someone upset me, thinking that I'm not doing that well. As I was leaving work last night, our porter came on duty. Looking at my knee he asked how I was. Good I replied and before I could say anything he proceeded to tell me that the hospital where he had both his knees done (a few years ago and not at the same time) he hasn't heard of anyone who didn't do well. Wrongly assuming that I had had my knee replaced at the local hospital, he said that he had heard of a couple of people there where their knees hadn't gone well - again wrongly assuming that mine wasn't successful, because he had caught me limping slightly.

He continued to smugly say that he had had no physio, just done his exercises at home and started to do his little tap dance. I could have slapped him, to be honest!

At the end of a day's work, yes it does tend to become a bit on the stiff side. I would imagine this is natural at this stage. I drove home in tears and felt really down for the rest of the evening.

I'm over it now, knowing that we all recover at different timescales. If he says anything negative to me again, he will be sorry, I can tell you!

Had my physio at the hospital this afternoon. She must have worked me harder this time (not to the extent of pain, I hasten to add - she is very good) because this evening it is a bit achey, so I have taken some painkillers. I thought she might sign me off today, but she didn't and I am glad about that. She is booking me in for a six week gym class (an hour's session, once a week) to try and improve my ROM. Eyeballing she said it was about 100-110 - this was when she got me to lay on my tummy and she bent my knee towards my bottom.

To loosen my knee today, she had me on the cross trainer for one and a half minutes and it did do the trick. But boy oh boy I was out of breath. Action - must get fitter :heehee:

Have a good weekend everyone :flwrysmile:
 
Great minds think alike Kathy. Snap. Dont let that idiot get you down. You have done so well with your recovery and an idiot like that can set you back in your confidence. But not for long a. These people that heal so quickly and no physio are just talking a load of BS. I think I would have hit him not thought about it so good on you. Glad your physio went well after all that. I dont think my ROM is as good as 110 to be honest. They really do seem to be taking care of you dont they. I must admit I do feel a little neglected regarding the physio care. I just hope Im progressing properly. After a really busy week today I have just been resting beause my knee was very swollen and achey today. I had a visit from Robyn which cheered me up a lot. As soon asI hear her call Nannneeee and her little footsteps I start to smile. Isnt your next grandchild due in March? Not long now. Have a good weekend and I admire you a lot going back to work and coping with all the family needs too. Im sure I couldnt do it so give yourself a pat on the back. You deserve it. :friends:
 
Hang in there Kathy, some people just don't know when to shut up, perhaps next time you will remind him!!

You are doing great and you will keep improving!

Be well and keep us posted!

Dawn
 
Thanks, Pat. I think that's why I'm glad she didn't discharge me today. I can understand you feeling a little neglected, I would feel like that too. No one to keep an eye on your progress. But going about daily chores helps the ROM, they say and I'm sure that must be true.

Aaah, I bet little Robyn visiting you did cheer you up, bless her. Grandchildren are such a joy, aren't they? Our eldest grandchild, Ria who is 16, seems to be spending more and more time here, Ray said she should start paying board :heehee: Thing is she is very close to our eldest daughter, Katrina who is 25. They are like best mates. You hear them laughing together. It's really lovely.

The baby is due next Saturday - the day before Mother's Day. We are all booked in for lunch at the local golf club (sounds posh, but it isn't :heehee:) and I've told Kelly if she is to go in labour that day, to please wait until we have eaten, lol.

I have named this baby Lego, as they think the baby was conceived when they all went to Legoland for the weekend (could be short for Legover - oops, I am naughty :heehee:) and it was also Father's Day, so would be very appropriate for it to be born on Mother's Day.
 
Lol, Dawn, he won't get a chance to say anything about my knee next time! I know I will get 'there' eventually, as we all will.
 
O Kathy you are naughty sometimes :heehee: but I like it. O its so exciting isnt it waiting for a new baby. If the baby is born on Mothers Day she will share my daughters birthday. Karlea will be 21 next Sunday. I love hearing Robyn giggling with the girls too. Tonight Laura was teaching her to say "O No girlfriend" while wagging her finger. She looked so funny. They keep you young and happy dont they.
 
Oh so Karlea (what a pretty name) will reach a milestone next week. Is she doing anything special to celebrate?

Ha ha, I can imagine the "O no girlfriend" sounds, lol. Katrina and Ria have a similar thing, they talk in an Australian accent. It's so funny and they sound quite good, but when I tried it, it was bad, lol.

I don't know about keeping me young, but certainly happy :heehee:
 
Oh well, I ought to get ready for bed now. Have a busy day tomorrow - got my friend and her hubby coming for a meal tomorrow night, so will be cooking and doing housework - with instructions waiting for Ray's chores :heehee:

Nightie night, Pat. Here's to a good night's sleep........zzzzzzzzz
 
Karlea is having a night out in Birmingham tonight with her Uni friends and then next week a night out in Manchester with her old school friends. Shes young free and single and enjoying herself. Good nite Kathy. Nice talking to you and dont overdue it tomorrow. :)
 
I love the name Lego! Tee hee! Well you are so much nicer than me. I am not very assertive and would have done the same as you when Porter was so rude. BUT I hope that at least I would no longer have time to give him the time or day or chat at all with him. A nice polite hello and then you continue what you were doing. He is not worth a moment of your precious time. This incident has nothing to do with your progress or recovery. It has to do with a pathetic little man with poor self esteem. So he gets his kicks by interacting with people the way he did with you. He probably cut up cats and pigeons when he was a kid. STay away from him. And you know what? I bet he had to put himself on ice after doing that jig. What does your porter actually do at your work place? He probably doesn't have any friends and lives a horrible lonely life. Ha! How is that? Honestly it is not about you! I had an old friend that made a similar type comment at Christmas that I should be doing better by then which was 8 weeks. I am still disgusted with her and no longer spend much time with her. I mean what type of person says stuff like that?
Gosh I just hate smart alec people. Sometimes we get one on here but not too often. You have such a wonderful family. The fact that Mother's DAy is already planned out says soooo much about your family. So exciting waiting for another g-baby. That's cute about the 16 year old staying with you so much. How fun and flattering!
Do you do the exercise at home where you lay on your tummy and use a belt type thing to pull your foot up towards your head? It sounds like you do it at PT. I think it really helps with flexion. Also to do the stationary bike first then the exercises really limbers me up.
Okay I used up alot of space here. You are doing great! Your ROM has increased by 30-40! Good for you!
 
Hi Kathy, I finally found your thread again, my goodness I keep losing track of people! Ya know that Porter guy had his knees done a few years ago, it could very well be that since then he has lost a few brain cell and has forgotten how his recovery went! :umm: Certainly he has lost enough brain cells to cause him to act like a total nin-come-poop! :skep: He certainly is a chap to be avoided at all cost!

Now to the fun stuff, Lego or Legover, seems quite fitting (I love your sense of humor)! We can let anyone take all the naughty out of us, how boring that would be! :heehee: Please let us know when your new grand baby arrives, and hopefully it after you've all eaten! :heehee:

That's sweet that your eldest granddaughter likes to spend time with her auntie Katrina!

Stay well my friend!
 
Haha Jacky yeah getting lost in all the threads. I went a little crazy on the Porter huh? Psychoanalyzed him, judge and jury'd and he'd been in jail if I had my druthers! Anyone who talks to us like that deserves a major set back. ha!
I have 3 grown kids and no g-babes in sight. geesh!
love you guys!
hey have you felt this way girls.... it's hard for to get started with newbies. I am forcing an effort on this but it's almost like letting a new friend in your group but you aren't quite sure yet. But I am trying to look through the Marchies and give them a cheer. I tend to stay in my lovely circle. But what has happened to our Shelly? Too busy with hubby I guess. Maybe they are making some more movies. I love it!
Take care!
 
Kathy, sounds like you are doing great 100/110 is brilliant!
I would tell the porter, thank you but you just made me feel really bad and trip him up!.
That was just what you needed at the end of a long day.
Cross trainer ! Did that not hurt? I tried it once and couldn't do it
 
Marianne Brownie51, you did make me :rotfl: Actually although the horrible little man is porter, he is as lazy as hell. Will only make the journey (a few seconds) once across the drive to get students' packages, then refuses them. He has his dinner here and then proceeds to watch TV as much as he can for the rest of his shift. He suffers from extreme lazyitis. I will not get into conversation with him again, rest assured.

I'm sorry that your friend was insensitive too. People that speak before they think :headbang:

I must admit to only responding to newbies every now again. It would be an absolute full time job to keep up with everyone. And am with you on that one. Would like to help more, but being back at work, am really sorry but just can't spare the time. I too love my circle.

Nancy, the cross trainer didn't hurt at all, but it sure made me breathless (but not in Seattle, unfortunately :heehee: ) I am soooooo unfit!
 
Crikey, my thread was buried deep :heehee:

I couldn't resist it - went and ordered myself a knee goniometer from Amazon - £12. It arrived yesterday. It's a bit like weighing yourself. Don't always want to know what you weigh, but need to know sometimes. The same with the measurement of my ROM.

Seems like I am 110 comfortably now. Am pleased with the snail progress It WILL improve further :whistle:
 
Is it easy to work Kathy, how do you know it is in right place.
You must be absolutely delighted with your new rom though
 
:yay: Great Kathy, you're look'n good kiddo! You must have been a happy chicky when you read those numbers!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom