Kathi777's New Knees

I didn't use heat directly on my knee, but while I was icing, I was under an electric blanket that covered everything but my head, including the ice bags that were on my knees. Even when I iced at PT, they gave me a big heating pad to drape over my core so I didn't start shivering.
 
I also used an electric throw while icing my knee. My recovery was during the Polar Vortex winter, so it was super cold! But my throw was great!
 
My inhome physical therapist said I can use it on thigh before doing exercises. I swear, there is so much different information out there, it is so hard to figure out the right thing to do!!!
 
It's too early to put heat on any part of your knee.
 
LOL!!! I feel the same way. The other day my husband asked if I needed ice and I was in one of my moods. I responded no I am going to turn into a penguin!!!!
 
What are your riding? I plan to get back in the saddle tomorrow! I needed to get all new shoes and boots. Mine had awful wear patterns from my bowed legs!
 
@Red's Mom i ride 2 different Harley's. lol i am also a 5 mile a day hiker. I will be back riding when it gets warmer as right now I am always cold. Prob April we should see 70 degrees and then I ride. I take it you ride horses?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Waking up in pain... knees feel like they are in a vice being squeezed, ankle hurts or aches like a toothache. This is post one month now... I find the narco 5/325 not to be cutting it for pain. I thought it should be better by now? In the day time I can skip doses but at night I hate waking up in pain. Any idea on what I can do to prevent the crash every night after taking 2 pills... they only last 6 hours then it's hard to get myself back to a happy state with tolerable level of pain.
 
Hi @Kathi 777. I am still on slow release tapentadol and Lyrica plus oxycodone when needed. Dr with start reducing the tapentadol in 2 weeks. I haven't needed any oxycodone today but might need 3 or 4 tomorrow. It's so up and down for no obvious reason.
Sounds like you are undermedicated to me.
 
@DebM The person Dr took me off OxyContin at three days. They handed me the 5/325 narco 2 at a time which basically is not really a big deal pain drug because I have had it for a toothache. The breakthrough pain at night is worse, and it sets the tone for my day. Meaning waking up in pain is becoming taxing and very tiring on my body. ( which leads to stomach upset and feeling drug out all day and naps.) Blah I need to be at the end of this recovery soon... it's testing the limits of my patience
 
Ps I did call him a choice word
 
Last edited by a moderator:
That's pretty tough Kathi - I think you are being too nice! I get quite bamboozled by the USA health system but can't you go to your GP or everyday and plead your case. Here is Australia once we leave hospital our GP takes over and is the go to for meds, scripts etc. We just see OS for standard post op checkups.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
What are your activities during the day? Often when we overdo in the daytime the pain isn't felt until the night when our knees decide to tell us we've overdone it. If your pain is managed during the day over activity can be the problem.
 
@Kathi777

I think part of your problem is that you have stopped taking your pain medications on a regular schedule. Consequently, when you have pain in the night you then have to play catch-up with the pain.

Night pain is often related to being under-medicated and also, as KarriB said, possibly to too much daytime activity.

It sounds as if your current medications have never hit the spot for you. Perhaps you could phone your surgeon or your own doctor (PCP/GP) and ask for a prescription for Tramadol? If you take that on a regular schedule and combine it with Tylenol, it works very well.
 
@Celle you are right... I have still had pain with the Narco. pain free? no... is it tolerable? well let's just say that i have been in pain for the past few years so my tolerance is built up, but i was hoping with a major surgery the Dr would manage the pain better. i am doing what I can with icing and keeping to no lifting and just walking ( not too far) . I do take the pain pills on a 6 hour basis.. but i try not to take 2 each time.. it says one or 2.
on a better note i am at 110 degrees at 5 weeks out and almost straight... lacking 5 degrees on the left... which had the Bakers cyst which is refilling with fluid. i got that checked out today. boo i also pedaled the stationary bike for 4 min. [emoji12] pt is happy with my progress, i will see her in one week for a recheck and if we need to add any exercise to my list.
 
Did anyone else have a bakers cyst? Did yours come back after the TKR? Did you take any measures to get rid of it ? Thanks in advance
 
@KarriB i think he drained mine and then it decided to fill partially again. today it feels less full so maybe it will right itself and not become a hindrance in my gaining straight in my left leg. thank you
 
Today 6 weeks post I am at 0 for straightening and 120 for my bend. Did some balance exercise to see how that was coming along an aced it. So see PT next Wednesday then Ortho on Friday. I have a few parting questions as I don't think I see him again for some time...
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom