Bilateral TKR Kathi777's New Knees

So sorry!!!! You might just have to wait til the pain pills take over. This is a difficult journey we are on. Hoping you get some fast relief!!!

It's a good idea to set your phone for your med schedule until you get to the point of not needing them as often. Catching up to the pain can be a bear.

i am not sure what i did... maybe lifting the small propane tank? or i did do some pt exercises.. no missteps ... so not sure why i am in such pain. back one step... cane . hoping in the morning it's better. tomorrow will be do nothing day!

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

At less than a month after your surgery, it's a bit too soon to be thinking of cutting back your medications. The time to start gradually cutting back is when you forget a dose and don't feel any increase in pain.

Every knee is different, so the need for pain meds will be different also. I started forgetting pain meds around 4 weeks, but I only had one TKR and spent all my time resting, elevating and icing.

Are you already off the walker and cane?

@KarriB yes off both but thinking I will be using cane for few days. still hurting today , icing and laying... nothing will get done today. I am hoping to bounce back. i have been doing well. i just keep my driving and being out to a min.

i am not sure what i did... maybe lifting the small propane tank? or i did do some pt exercises.. no missteps ... so not sure why i am in such pain. back one step... cane . hoping in the morning it's better. tomorrow will be do nothing day!

Kathi, you are my virtual twin, I had my left knee replaced about 11 weeks ago. I started doing great but the last three days have been Hell. my knee is swollen again and uber stiff. I just don't know what the heck I did. :shrug:
trying to get ahead of the pain.

Kathi, you should be using some sort of walking aid until you're no longer limping. Using a walker or cane will help with your natural gait as well as extention. When you walk correctly you take longer strides and this is much easier with some sort of aid at less than a month post op.

@KarriB i was doing great. my stride was good. i am almost at one month. everyone heals differently and i feel that going into this i was in pretty darn good condition. ( even pt agrees i am ahead of most all their tkr people. who for the record had one not two knees done) I will ice rest and get back to the pain drugs . this is a minor set back. but yes i will use the cane until Feb 10 which is one month. i do think i will get out tape measure and do a daily check on swelling. thank you

If you're not limping than maybe you don't need the cane, but if you're limping I think it's wise to keep using it. This recovery throws road blocks when you least expect it, aches and pains pop up out of no where. My dad who was 82 when he had his latest TKR 3 years ago had a very easy recovery. A friend who was in her 40s and in great shape had a long recovery. Recoveries are unpredictable.

@KarriB. I surely get that! My left knee was the worst... and it's behaving! You would think that it would be my problem child... but it is not! I am going to stop think and not do anything that may kick up this pain. Husband will be toting and carrying! Even groceries. Will keep cane handy. I want this to go smoothly. Thank you for your input

Hi Kathi. I was the same way. My doctor was amazed at how ahead of schedule I was. I was focused on healing and getting on with life. You might agree that it is a concentrated effort, each step. I didn't used a cane or any support once I finished up with the walker (2-3 weeks). At the end on month 2 I took that one step and bam! Against all odds it tweaked a week spot with the tendons. So please just be careful.

I am thankful for you all... it's good to have the input from others on this journey. So far today been ok, iced a lot and did my pain pills as directed. Walking ok. Pain level 4. So that is good. I may have figured out a way for the legs to feel better in bed since the covers have bothered me... a nice light weight down blanket ! Like having nothing on the legs... no binding

So happy to see you are doing better. Down blankets are the best!!!

Flannel sheets helped me and I always have a down blanket, they're very light weight. I even use mine in the summer because it keeps body temp constant.

i just seem to be having a bad stretch... i have low right side groin pain tonight. the legs feel like 50 lbs each, i just am not a happy camper. pain pills every two hours as just can't take it today....and i am not a whiner but man this is tough. :(

Hang in there! Spend as much time as you can resting, elevating and icing.
Here's hoping you have a better day tomorrow.

Sorry to hear you are having a bad time @Kathi 777. It is such an up and down process! I too have super sensitive skin at various times during the day. I tried plastic wrap and it did help but made my skin sweaty. Trying to tweak my pain meds for best relief with least amount of medication and frustratingly what works one day doesn't work the next. I can't sleep in bed but finding the recliner can give me a backache. It sure is a rocky road.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft