Guest viewing is limited

Kathi777's New Knees

Hi Kathi! Hope things are better this morning..I hate having to take the pain pills but keep ahead of it all. I also had the problem with the sheets & blankets irritating the leg. What worked for me was that full compression stocking that the hospital gave me. For some reason it almost acted like a shield around the leg with that snug fit.
Hope you have a good day.
 
Your knees are letting you know who's the boss. Taking it easy by resting, icing, elevating is the way to go.
 
Yes, this journey is definitely two steps forward, one back for a while...You are still early in your recovery, really only a month almost..Still early, early days...as many have said you can't rush this. Healing takes place on it's own schedule...not the one in your head!! LOL... Just rest and take it day by day...that is all you can do!
It will get better!!!
Blessings,
Lene'
 
I talked to the PA today, she seems to think pain and swelling will be around until month 3. She seems to think that I am doing well and that's just an estimate. That I am making the pills last a week and have good bend already is a bonus. Feel the drain and she says usually by the 3 month mark things start turning around. So happy I did the knees in Jan. So I can have fun this summer!
 
I have been wondering how you have been doing. You had 2 knees done, so I actually, think you are doing great. As we said before, we need to get ready for summer!!!
 
Yes, 3 months is usually when things feel more normal. My OS suggested going back to teaching at 12 weeks/3 months. I still had to spend evenings icing/elevating/resting because the energy drain was still there.
 
does anyone else have the sensation of the skin feeling tight or pulling on the outside of the knees? it's weird! like the joint is too big in there .. my swelling is going down so i don't equate it to that... though it could very well be.
 
While the swelling seems to have lessened from the outside, there is still swelling on the inside. That tight feeling is internal swelling.
 
argh i figured as much! so it's not uncommon to have that weird feeling of it pulling or having a tight band around the top of the knee. thanks for the quick answer.
 
Many TKRs experience some level of swelling for three months or longer. It takes time for soft tissue to settle and heal from a surgery of this magnitude.
 
Ok, one other thing... sensitive bones in the ankles? Both sides are extremely sensitive and I know there was bruising there but will that sensitivity go away soon I hope? I wear boots in the summer to ride, this needs to go away asap. [emoji854] Other than this I feel good... and I walked close to a mile today, then icing.... elevating. Doing my pt at home.
 
A mile is quite a lot at this point in recovery. I hope you don't feel any effects of this tonight. I'd say your ankles may be taking the pressure your knees can't. I didn't walk that far at just a month so I can't say.
 
The ankles have bothered me from day 1 after surgery. It isn't from walking...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Check to see if your shoes/boots have a wear pattern on them. If so replacing them may be helpful. My ankles and back hurt me until I got good new sneakers ( I wear them for work). If you had orthotics before surgery than they may need to be changed.
 
I had ankle pain also. I think mine was from the manipulation the OS had to do to get my leg straight. Walking a mile is pretty impressive!!!
 
i felt great except for the bug i picked up and had me in bathroom many times. i think that walking is great therapy and not like i set out to walk a mile at once.. it was through the whole day my walking added up to a mile. i wear a fitbit. [emoji41]
 
@newlybionic yes i had bought a new pair of shoes also. i figured once knees were fixed I would be walking properly and didn't want to wear the worn in shoes. thanks for the reminder!
 
ok.. when can we switch to heat? i am so tired of freezing my butt off laying here icing... i read somewhere heat can be used for the back of the knee... has anyone done so? thank you
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom