Kathi777's New Knees

@Kathi 777 I'm feeling the same way. I try not to do much, but it seems like things are improving at a snails pace!!! I still try and remind myself that I had my knee removed and a new one put in not even 3 weeks ago. I think the hardest part of this journey has been pure patience!!!
 
If you "work" at resting, elevating and icing for the first month it'll be much easier to have ROM when that month is over. I did nothing for the first 3 weeks and very little at week 4. At week three I made my own breakfast and lunch, but not dinner, I made the bed, but didn't change sheets yet. At week 4 I made dinner (threw chicken in a crockpot) once. My friends and family took care if everything else; laundry, cleaning, cooking, shopping. I sat with my legs up.
 
Just wondering, when you sleep on your side, do you need to have pillows in a certain way?

It helped me to use a long flat pillow from my toes to my pubic bones to support the whole leg. It was easier to get it in position on my back and then flip onto my side as one unit.


Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
@Celle yes i understand and that is why I limit time on my feet. I am not doing much at all. like tomorrow's dinner will take 10 min. to get ready. it then will roast in the oven. I will be laid out on my bed in the living room happily watching the birds. thank you for the reminder... rest ice elevate! hugs
 
I even printed it up for hubby... so he would pitch in and help. It's easier to do nothing when the snow is flying... it's cold and hibernation time.
 
Exactly why I had my knee done late Oct. and want to have my other knee done in late fall or winter. What did your husband say about the information?
 
Ahh.. not much. He thinks I am Wonder Woman you know! He is realizing that I am not... and I can't rush this process.
 
No you can't rush it and you'll need his help for the next month or so.
 
i do find it super annoying to have to drive 20 miles to pick up a pain pill script for the week. why can't they write you enough for a month? seems silly ! it's a drive! then i have to wait to get it filled... so basically i am wiped out now. ice elevate and sleep!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Can your husband pick up the script for you? I can't imagine having your knees down for all that time.
 
I think with the abuse of pain pills the doctors hands are tied sometimes. When I was getting discharged, they could not call in script, it had to be manually brought to pharmacy.
 
Things have recently changed in PA with prescription pain meds. Three years ago I had one script that took care of me for a whole month, but that's no longer the case.
 
I feel tired.. but every day gets better! Some pain, the covers on the bed bother my feet and knees. I am trying to think how I want to prop them over and not be dragged down by them. Any ideas why this is bothering me?
 
@KarriB that's interesting that the drain is double.. thank you for sharing. I will not beat myself up for needing naps and small meals thru the day. though the outside looks healed there is plenty of healing going on under that scar,
 
You had both knees done. You are doing great. I find myself dozing during the day too. Never did that before, but, I figure the more I rest, the sooner I will get better!!!!
 
I think that's a mistake people make, they think when the incision is closed the healing is done, but there's healing going on inside.
 
@Kathi 777 before I started taking medication for nerve pain my legs would be similar. My legs would be hot and super sensitive to anything touching them even light soft fabric. It used to happen at the end of my 12 hour slow release pain Med. Since taking the medication thankfully it has stopped. Maybe it is somehow related to pain ?
 
Do not know what I did but the right knee is protesting. I am icing and taking two pain pills. It is bedtime. Can't stand the pain... I totally forgot to take anything in the afternoon. [emoji52]
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom