Kathi777's New Knees

Staples out today. Pt saw a 1 in red spot bottom right knee. Dr got me right in, pulled staples 7 days keflex. Follow up in a month. So moving right along !
 
Hi @kathi777, sounds like you are home now and things are going okay. I took my pain meds right through about 9 weeks, although by 6 weeks, I was forgetting them during the day and only taking them after PT and at night. There is no need to stop them so soon, you will not get addicted. When I got to 11 weeks or so I figured out that the Norco was giving me headaches..so I switched and started taking Advil again. It did help my swelling and now I take only that at night or if I have a strenuous day. Just be careful of the "red spot" keep your eye on it to be sure it heals no problems. Also, go easy on the outpatient PT, less is more just like they say on here!
 
I can see the beauty in one rehab and one down time. I am not one to sit still for long so this is a test to my patience. I am not going crazy with pt. the swelling is still very much there so ice elevate and rest. I am taking the Norco but just a couple a day. Looking forward to hiking! Though it may be a few months away at least I only have to do this once!
 
Yes, I am so glad I did both at the same time although at first I thought it was a little crazy. But now that I no longer have the bone on bone pain and I can walk outside and shop for longer than 5 min, I am happy, happy, happy!!! I still need to get stronger, being incapacitated for so long, I have lost a lot of my strength and stamina, but it will come. It is even better than it was a month ago so I know I will continue to improve. But it is hard to be patient sometimes.
Blessings,
Lene'
 
i am doing good.. just resting elevating stretching and ice. going to take a walk outside today .
 
We've had such a warm stretch a short walk outside will be nice. Remember, where ever you walk you need to go back that same distance.
 
@Kathi 777 you are an inspiration!!! I'm glad things are going well for you. I agree with the one and done even though my OS made me wait 4 weeks in between!
 
I drove today! Feeling sore tonight, icing and hoping for sleep! Need to get more stretches and walking in tomorrow .
 
i have driven 15 miles. we live rural. driving is a must. yes i am only taking evening 5/325 narco i got this
 
Lol thank you! No I will behave. I had pt today and promptly came home and iced and of course napped. I promise to behave!
 
Hopefully there was no one pushing on your leg at PT. :no-fin:
 
I think 60 min of pt was extreme. I canceled tomorrow and will go Thurs . I feel it is too much too soon as tomorrow is just two weeks since surgery. I am still swollen, bruised and want to go slow.
 
It really is too soon. Mayo Clinic now recommends no PT, just stretchs and many here didn't do PT for the first few weeks to a month with great outcomes. Its definitely not good to go day after day though.
 
Over Fifty years ago I had both my knees operated on because they kept dislocating. As I grew, my weight made it worse and worse so finally, at age 11, they moved things around and reattached the ligaments and tendons into the proper places. I had a case from my top thigh to my lower ankle and wasn't allowed to touch my foot to the floor for six months. It seems like a lifetime. I remember my leg was so much smaller when the finally took the cast off. I used crutches afterwards for a long time. Anyway, I'm telling this long story to say that there was no physical therapy for me back then. My mom would help me into the bath and I would just move around. She would encourage me to walk by taking me to cool places like the zoo, etc. I don't even remember it getting better but within a few years I was walking fine and just living life. So I'm not going to worry too much about PT when I get my bilateral TKR this March. When I had my right hip replacement awhile back they didn't give me any PT and I'm doing great. I know the movement will come as long as I want it and work towards it. Slow and steady wins the race they say!
:hiking:
 
@KarriB. Thank you for being my back up on this! I had a feeling too much too soon would only result in more pain for me. I am up because I am in pain, took 2 pain pills, iced, and put on warm flannel pj pants in hopes to get a bit more rest.
 
I'm sorry Kathi, this is usually what happens after aggressive therapy, your knee is angry and painful, keeping you up with pain. Although I didn't know about BoneSmart or their philosophy I stayed away from aggressive therapy right after my TKR because I hate pain. If something hurt I refused to do it, squats, step ups etc.

I've learned we have to advocate for ourselves and do what's best for our bodies. I've also noticed quite a few PTs are taking the "less is best" philosophy from reading threads here. Take a look at the activity progression chart, when I looked back at my recovery it followed the chart closely.

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-tkrs.14334/
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom