Kathi777's New Knees

My PT was 2 hour sessions, twice a week from 10 days post surgery. Half of that was in the hydro pool. She warned me prior to surgery that it would be 2 hours as it was 2 legs. I was shattered at the end of each session. Nothing was ever extraneous, just stretching and moving etc. Not sure how it could have been shorter.
 
I am fighting stiffness and everyday need to push to get that range of motion.. Is this normal?
 
At two weeks, yes, stiffness is very normal because you probably also have a lot of swelling still. My right knee didn't have enough flexibility to comfortably or safely drive until a little past 6 weeks (left was ready at 4 weeks) so you are doing amazing that you are driving already.
 
Stiffness is present for a few weeks or even months, but you don't want to push through the pain. If it hurts stop. This early your soft tissues need to rest and recover. Once that soft tissue swelling is gone you're ROM will be there without even pushing for it.
 
@Kathi777 I found that I could not do more than 1 PT session a week, even though they scheduled me for two. I think I did 6PT sessions total, and of course they did a lot of the wrong things, ( like weight presses, and pushing) so finally I just told them I was done! I was walking up and down stairs many times a day and walking outside and I seem to be functioning just fine. When I left PT I was at 115/113 ROM and about 3/4 extention. So I was not perfectly straight but I still had some swelling. I have no idea what my numbers are now and frankly don't care, the surgeon is happy, I am happy and who other than the PT's give a d@mn about the numbers. I am just happy to walk with no pain!!! As I said in another post..to me Rom numbers are like Algebra...I learned it but I don't use it everyday...:heehee:!
 
@Kathi 777 I am also very stiff!!! It has only been two weeks so we just need to have some patience I guess!!!
 
i know they pushed at the hospital rehab for specific numbers which i thought was downright crazy! did they forget i was 3 days out from major surgery? i am going to take it slow. Though i was in very good shape going into this... still walking up to 3 miles a day ( wobbling all the way) lol thank you all for your input and support. [emoji18][emoji111]️
 
Day 7 and the dreaded stiffness is starting. I feel for you @Kathi 777, it's the pits!
 
@DebM. I am here for you.... We got this! The days we are stiff , ease into heel slides, ice , elevate and relax! We must heal before we do too much and delay progress.
 
@Kathi 777 The stiffness today is horrible after the car ride to and from OS. I just want to oil myself like the tinman!!!!
 
@RMasano I know exactly how you feel! I think the stiffness goes away somewhat as we heal. Just keep on smiling and icing in the meantime ! This too shall pass
 
Sleep... i find can sleep 3 hours at a stretch. always in my bed! i also can sleep on my side which i had wondered if that was going to be possible . no recliner for me, i am happy to say. pain still wakes me every 3 to 4 hours. ( post op 16 days)
 
@Kathi 777
Stop pushing for ROM and stop allowing anyone (PTs or surgeon) to set artificial dates by which you must achieve a certain ROM. Your knee can't bend until much of the swelling has gone down, because the swelling keeps it stiff.
It takes a full year for a replaced knee to heal completely and your ROM can continue to increase for all of that year, or even longer, so there's no need to rush to get ROM.

I really don't know why some therapists get so hooked up on the ROM numbers, but I wish they didn't, because it just makes you feel inadequate if you don't meet their arbitrary deadlines.

It's not exercising that gets you your ROM, it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle and time to heal. Your ROM is there right from the start, just waiting for all that to happen so it can show itself.
The best way to help it is to spend as much time as you can resting, icing and elevating your knee, and just doing gentle everyday activities.
 
Just wondering, when you sleep on your side, do you need to have pillows in a certain way?
 
@gerilari i have a thin pillow or soft flannel blanket i put between my legs and knees. ( full way down legs as they seem ultra sensitive . ) Yes @Celle I am not pushing it. i may only opt for one pt session a week. I feel the swelling and understand fully I am not going to be able to bend 120 until I heal and the swelling goes down. I would love some pool therapy though! warm water!
 
i am wondering how long before the swelling goes down? i know everyone is different, but it seems I am on a3 hour leash, where i need to be back icing by the 3 hour mark so i don't over do.
 
Kathi, the swelling is going to be with you for a long time - months even. It's less than 3 weeks since you had bilateral TKRs.
At eth moment, your main job is to rest, ice, elevate those legs and medicate on schedule. You should not be doing lots of exercise and you should not be up and about very much at all. You can ice your knees all the time you are resting, as long as you have some material between your skin and the icing equipment, so you don't get frost bite.

I think a lot of your problem is because you are trying to do too much, too soon. Have another look at this article:
Activity progression for TKRs
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom