Bilateral TKR Kathi777's New Knees

how soon to cut back pain meds? i am at every 6 hours now. which is lots better than every 4 hours. i am hoping to take it back a notch tomorrow

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

@kathi777.......I had night sweats for the first week or so. I would wake up soaking wet. Sounds like you're doing great.

When I started cutting back my pain meds, I went from taking 2 every 4 hours, then 2 every 6 hours and then I went to 1 every 4 hours and then I started pushing that back to longer intervals. That worked for me, but of course you could be different. Be careful though......my most painful days were days 5-9. My OS uses Exparel and it wears off after about 4 days. I started cutting back before the Exparel wore off and then it wore off and it took me a day to get back in front of my pain.

Good luck!

@Kathi 777 with a bilateral things really are quite different, especially where pain is concerned. I think reading other bilateral threads may give you some insight on recovery. Take a look at @lene' thread, she's a recent bilateral member.
As Celle said, it's really too early to cut back on pain meds now. Give it another week or two. Everyone is different, I didn't begin to cut back until week 4 and I did it by just forgetting to take a dose here and there.

how cold is too cold for ice packs? i have had these in chest freezer a month or so. i felt that they may be too cold? hate to freezer burn my legs!

i am home, day 6 and doing well the only fly in the mix is allergies wheezing. i walked upstairs 13 of them to get my stuff and see if i could do it. this bed stinks, i can't wait to go up at night to sleep. ( blood tech flared up allergies with her perfume!i have coughed since friday!)

how cold is too cold for ice packs? i have had these in chest freezer a month or so. i felt that they may be too cold? hate to freezer burn my legs!
The colder, the better!
Make sure you have something like a kitchen towel between the ice packs and your skin. That will prevent freezer burn/frost bite.

If the pack feels too cold at first, double the layer of material.

Once the ice packs reach the temperature of the freezer, they won't keep on getting colder.

Pillow case is a good idea. My TKR recovery was the winter of the Polar Vortex. I had an electric throw I'd use all the time, but especially while I was icing! Brrrrr!

Today was my last day at work before surgery. The temperature was 100 degrees Fahrenheit. Loving my ice Packs which I use for pain pre-surgery! :)

good luck DebM! i am doing very well, next stop Out patient PT eval this morning. ( one week post surgery ) amazing!pain is under control. walking is good!

Wow, you`re doing amazingly well, especially for a bilateral (which I couldn`t even contemplate!). Pain control is so important yet it wasn`t something I gained before going home or for some time thereafter. Here in the UK we are pretty much left to our own devices once we`re discharged from hospital.

I`m curious about the dog in your avatar - does he/she have a nappy on or is it just pink underbelly? I really must start using my glasses!

Night sweats are typical for many TKRs, but I'm glad they did some testing. When I was in transition unit they brought me a fan from their lunch room.

I didn`t know that - I thought it was just my age! While I was in hospital I had the fan on and windows open. Walking from the corridor in to my room was like walking into the artic front but at least it kept me cool.

the pain is not bad. fact when you are bone on bone walking for two years it's your daily companion. so this pain has an end in sight. i can do this. doing a lot of sleeping, stretches, ( coughing caught cold in hospital) and layering a bit of vitamins and pain pills 5/325 Narco was what I was released with) sleep in hospital was tough.. better now. all in all a positive and one and done is my mantra!

I agree, Kathi. While there's pain, it's different than bone on nine and there's the promise that it'll dissipate. Stay ahead of the pain, sleep whenever you can and ice, ice, ice!

I think that if you really wanted to leave rehab, you probably could, see if you can contact your OS, tell him it is not a jail...!
Good Luck
Lene'

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
galvesean
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom