Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR JustJeff 4/9/14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now you know how we feel as women! Though I don't wear petticoats I have had to wear nylons (pantyhose) during the summer before. Not a fun experience!
 
Allentown PA....I almost went to college at United Wesleyan College. Anyway....glad you had a good vacation...:)
 
Here's my main benefit of new knees. I can get back to moving! Since surgery I've now dropped 30 pounds! Between biking, walking, exercising and kayaking I feel great.
Also, before surgery I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, but right at the line. I proactively requested a testing kit and have had nothing but perfect results since I started testing 2 weeks ago.
This is all connected and my knees were at the nexus, both bad and good, for all of it. Now I may be preaching to the choir but, for all of you going through rough recoveries, stick with it! The light is ahead!
 
! Between biking, walking, exercising and kayaking I feel
Also, before surgery I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, but right at the line.
Jeff, I was also diagnosed with diabetes 2 right after I scheduled my surgery. It was bad enough they did not want to do it but I managed to bring down my numbers to normal, (they did not think I could) lost 40 lbs before surgery and 10 more since. And my numbers are good. I have a 3 month A1C test Wed and I expect it to b a little higher than my last one (5.5) but not bad. Amazing what the knees will do to us. There was no way something was going to stand in the way of my surgery. Instead my bad knees spurred me on to lose weight and eat better. And I'm walking more now than in years and my knees don't hurt afterwards. My recovery has been slower than yours, but I'm on my way.
 
What a beautiful vacation spot. I really want to get back to the Outer Banks in NC next summer. Limited beach time this year. : ( Afraid to get knocked down by continuous waves and not be able to right myself! Still, I'm happy to just hear the waves roll in.
Me too, with the Type 2! Last A1c showed improvement. In two weeks, I will have a matching set of knees. Seriously focusing on remaining at peace and trusting my God with this. It will be hard, but it will be worth it. Perhaps I can get moving again and experience better health all around.
So glad to hear, JustJeff, that you're getting your life back!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum caloparker4/21/14
 
Great to hear that you are all doing better with the diabetes because of a knee replacement! I just don't understand surgeons who will not operate on obese patients. Congrats Just Jeff for a great recovery!
 
That is great news @JustJeff - you should be very proud of yourself! Your attitude and your effort have got you to where you are today. You are an inspiration to many of us and I appreciate your sharing all of your success and for being part of mine! Keep it up and keep smiling! :)
 
Aww.. thanks everyone. If I can help just one person it would be enough. But we're all in this together! I'm just glad I'm on the team. I'd really love it if we could get together some time in the future. Perhaps a cruise to the UK? the feature could be a shoe fashion show hosted by Phil and myself.
 
Perhaps a cruise to the UK? the feature could be a shoe fashion show hosted by Phil and myself.

I am going to start going through my collection tonight to set aside only the finest for the show!
[Bonesmart.org] JustJeff 4/9/14
 
Perhaps a cruise to the UK?

We literally just did this! We got home 4 weeks ago. Talk about an awesome time! We left from Fort Lauderdale and arrived in Ponta Delgada, Azores after a week. Then 3 more days at sea before arriving in Southampton. We continued on from there to LeHavre, France, Rotterdam and finally disembarked in Copenhagen, Denmark. We then worked our way on land down through France and Italy before going on a 10 night mediterranean cruise and finally, 5 nights in Rome. This was the final hurrah and test for my knees. I held up pretty well through sheer will and determination but I also put a lot of stress (and pain) on them which I have paid for since we returned. Thus, the ultimate decision to replace them and so I can go back to Europe some day!!!!! And do it pain free!

I feel like I have lost so much stamina and energy over the past several years as my knees have deteriorated. I get up to do something constructive and then in no time I'm back, sitting down with my legs up to relieve the pain. I don't want to live like this anymore. I did lose about 20# last fall but then things stalled with the weight loss. I continue to eat healthy but being so inactive is not conducive to losing weight. You've done a great job Jeff with returning to a healthy, active life. I hope to be able to do the same.

God Bless!
 
Great to hear that you are all doing better with the diabetes because of a knee replacement! I just don't understand surgeons who will not operate on obese patients. Congrats Just Jeff for a great recovery!
My surgeon and the hospital would not do surgery unless my A1C was lower. He suggested I lose weight as it would make recovery go easier. I agree, because the weight I lost before surgery made me think twice about doing it because it made things easier. But bone on bone is just that. I think they are concerned because there are so many risks in the surgery itself being obese just adds to it. Just their preference. Kind of like how some doctors will not do bilateral at all due to risks.
 
I just confirmed that I have episodes of hypoglycemia! I've had this at various times infrequently for like 10 years and didn't know what the onset of shakiness and hunger was. This time I was ready with my blood glucose testing kit and I got an 86 reading! I ate one square of chocolate that I had just for that purpose and in 20 minutes it was up to 103! Been waiting a long time to figure that one out!
 
I just confirmed that I have episodes of hypoglycemia!

I have that too. It tends to happen to me most frequently in the mornings. I'm not a breakfast eater. Usually around 11 I'll get shakey and feel light headed. Once I eat something I'm fine again. When you get this does your heart race for a couple of minutes once you do eat something? Mine does sometimes.
 
I didn't feel my heart race. I did do a blood pressure at the time I tested. 140/70 pulse 68. So the BP was elevated.
 
Hmmmm... I know the liver gives up the stored glucose at 5 am to start the day off, so if we don't eat enough breakfast there may be nothing left in the tank to hold off until lunch? I wonder. The chocolate square really took care of it though!
 
the liver gives up the stored glucose at 5 am to start the day off

I am type 2 with A1C always coming in around 5.8 to 6.0. During the week I am up at 5:30 to get to my 7:00AM tee time and wondered why my readings that early in the morning tend to be in the 100-110 range instead of below 100. I totally forgot about the "Dawn Phenomenon" which is typically from 5:00 to 8:00AM. Thanks for reminding me/us of that!
 
I was not aware of the "Dawn Phenomenon". Good to know. I have always been a breakfast eater (thanks Mom) and have never had an issue with glycemia. Not to preach but a breakfast that includes protein is always a good way to start the day no matter your activity level.

Good to know that you are aware of it now @JustJeff. Now you will be able to make the right adjustments in your diet.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom