Bilateral TKR JustJeff 4/9/14

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally got out on the driving range! No pain! Just used SW, 9 & 7 irons, but I hit them well! Just like riding a bike, I remembered my faults vividly and strived to start right!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I finally got out on the driving range! No pain! Just used SW, 9 & 7 irons, but I hit them well! Just like riding a bike, I remembered ask my faults vividly and strived to start right!

Good for you! I am the best golfer at the club on the driving range - never miss a shot. However, it is a loooong walk from the driving range to the golf course! :)

[Bonesmart.org] JustJeff 4/9/14
 
Good for you for getting out to the driving range @JustJeff. It must have felt great! Does your wife golf as well? My hubby and I both golf. He was the one that got me into the sport. We have not golfed much since we had children as golf does take a good chunk of the day away from them. now that they are older, we will get back into it when we are not driving them to their activities. Our middle boy is the only one of the three that enjoys golf as well so we can't make it a family thing (and we are a family of 5 anyway).

I will be joining a women's league next year. One of my friends wants me to join hers but it is a par 3 chip and putt on Monday nights that I am not too excited about. I would rather join another club close to my home that runs on Wednesday nights. I don't know anyone that is in that league that I know of but I like to meet new people so that will not deter me. It is a really nice club and although they only play 9 holes it will help me to improve my game more than the other course will.
 
The one thing they don't have in this area is a par 3 or exec course. I really need to get my short game going before I tackle a regular course. I have up golf 7 years ago, thinking that I could not walk even to the the ball from the cart! One more step to retirement nirvana!
 
And now, oddly enough, a message about pain. During the day I'm fine, but when I'm in bed and I begin to roll over to my left side, I get a weird pain in my right knee on the medial side just in transition. Any thoughts?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Love your kayaking photos!! Inspiring to see you out and about now :). OK so all the jokes need a bit of work, but looks like activity is progressing really well. I too was wondering about how you get into beef at night !! hmmmm maybe we don't want to know.:heehee:
 
Speaking of diabetes, I never realized this but there are different target glucose readings depending on if you are pre-diabetic, type 2 diabetic or type 1 diabetic according to the Cleveland Clinic:

Fasting Glucose Test
NormalLess than 100
Pre-Diabetes100-125
Diabetes126 or higher
[THEAD] [/THEAD]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Random (Anytime) Glucose Test
NormalLess than 140
Pre-Diabetes140-199
DiabetesGreater than 200
[THEAD] [/THEAD]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
A1C
NormalLess than 5.7%
Pre-Diabetes5.7-6.4%
DiabetesGreater than 6.5%
Source: American Diabetes Association 2013
[THEAD] [/THEAD]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
They are very lenient with their suggestions. The American Society of Endocrinologists want better results. Mine was 10.4 and my last one was 5.2 (6 months later), so with hard work it can be brought down lower. I refused to accept the higher numbers. But I did change my diet dramatically. Lots of testing AFTER meals to find out what spiked mine.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
They are very lenient with their suggestions. The American Society of Endocrinologists want better results. Mine 10.4 and my day one wad 5.2, so with hard work it can be brought down lower. I refused to accept the higher numbers. But I did change my diet dramatically. Lots of testing AFTER meals to find out what spiked mine.
@sleenie we're on the same page there! I'll know more after the next A1c.
 
Love your kayaking photos!! Inspiring to see you out and about now :). OK so all the jokes need a bit of work, but looks like activity is progressing really well. I too was wondering about how you get into beef at night !! hmmmm maybe we don't want to know.:heehee:

Almost calls for a farm animal joke.
 
Hi Jeff, about the weird pain rolling over.... I wouldn't sweat it. I was told I could get odd passing discomfort for a while after surgery, and in fact for the life of the implants. Its not important. If its bothersome try putting a pillow between your knees at night. I still do that to minimize any sound the joints make when I roll over.

BTW, your progress is amazing. Care to meet up sometime? I hike, and from time to time ride a bike. I've been in a canoe, but never a kayak. I've never golfed, but might want to try - perhaps you could persuade me. I live an hour south of you, and had my knees replaced two and a half years ago.
 
@TheHistorian
Hi Neil. How nice of you to write. My story is indeed similar to yours. An adventure of activity rediscovery after the shackles have been removed.

I'm just getting back into hiking and felt good but a bit achy after that 3.4 Mike walk the other day. Hiking is a primary activity here in the Lehigh Valley, as you know.

Chess is not my Forte. My brother ruined it for me a lifetime ago my "teaching" me with the 3 moves and mate method. He was a teacher also so that was always weird for me. You may know (of) him as he's been very active in the Philly chess scene for many decades, Alan Cushner. So I got deep into backgammon, instead.
I certainly would like to meet, chat and walk (hike) sometime!

I'm glad you wrote!
 
@JustJeff I have question regarding your hiking. Is it flat ground or are you hiking uphill. I haven't been able to do that many years but most hiking trails here are in the mountains. Any trouble going rocks etc? I live the idea of hiking again. My walking has created no problems at all.
 
@sleenie so far it's just been flat. I'm working my way up slowly. Although I've made great strides to getting where I want to be, I've never really pushed it. I'm just going slowly until I know I can take the next step. Big rocks 1000' ft down from the Appalachian trail is one thing that really messed my knees up.. I was never the same after that, so I'm taking it one step at a time.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom