PKR JusticeRider’s rehab adventure

Could it be also that younger, fitter people are more aggressive with their rehab?
I agree with this, SIH. Also, it could be that younger people who want to get back to sports are less willing to be patient with the recovery and advocate for a solution. As we know, some surgeons are only too happy to do an MUA, even in early months of recovery.

@JusticeRider Thanks for sharing this article!

@sistersinhim and @benne68 , that very well may be why, I don’t know. It wasn’t my experience, personally. I probably rehabbed a bit aggressively with my first hip surgery when I was 37, but by the time I got to this PKR, after the stress of the pandemic, my game-ending injuries and two other surgeries within two years, I didn’t have the mental bandwidth to try to rehab aggressively. But I am only one unique case, so who knows?

Very many of us never did aggressive exercises or PT and never got adhesions. We just did the normal daily activities without stressing our soft tissues.

It does seem like one big issue with MUA’s is the surgeons who perform them on patients whose ROM is restricted by swelling and not adhesions at all. That would have been my case if I had agreed to what my surgeon wanted. I don’t know if younger people experience more swelling, but that’s another possibility. I wish there was a study that could solve it!

@JusticeRider, you are doing so well! My older daughter is 41 and just went to her PCP for a swollen ankle. She told my daughter "You know your veins are getting old"! That was a surprise to both of us. I don't think a younger person might experience more swelling some are just more active in their rehab and tend to push themselves. They want a quicker result and aren't willing to make lifestyle changes. I think they don't mind going to the doctor and saying what can you do? Where I stay away as long as possible!

@JusticeRider thank you so much for your detailed update. I am healing ever so slowly and ice/rest are not helping the swelling. I feel like I'll never drive again and I want to find that magic bullet that makes me go from peg leg gait to sitting comfortably in a chair. I guess that bullet is called time. So I'll forge on knowing some day it will work. Best wishes for your continued recovery.
@Tentcamper I’m so sorry, I missed this as the discussion went to the next page! Thank you for your comment. I hope my experience can give you hope that time is on your side and you will heal, even it takes a while. I’m sorry it takes so long. It’s very hard mentally. And I know for me, the limping in particular was very depressing. People would stare and I felt broken. But it sure does give you empathy for others who struggle with mobility issues. At least for us, it is temporary. I am cheering you on, Tentcamper! You got this.

@Flashlight good to hear from you! Thanks for stopping by :)
My older daughter is 41 and just went to her PCP for a swollen ankle. She told my daughter "You know your veins are getting old"!
When my husband was in his 20’s he had severe back pain. The doc that looked at his MRI said he had the spinal discs of an 80 yr old. Soooo, don’t go to the doctor if you want an ego boost I guess! :old:

I would say, Don't go to the doctor unless you have to. Then when you have to, don't believe everything they say about your pain not being too bad or that you'll be almost back to normal in six to eight weeks. It just isn't true for many of us. But @JusticeRider, you are doing good! I appreciate what you told @Tentcamper about the long and winding road to recovery. It really does take time. For me, six months later I feel better, but my knee is still stiff and I do kind of hobble. (Bad back! or hip?) But hey, I know it will get better next month and the one after that. Trying to live my life. And appreciate it, as well.

don't believe everything they say about your pain not being too bad or that you'll be almost back to normal in six to eight weeks. It just isn't true for many of us.
Ain’t that the truth! For any of us, I would say. It’s outrageous. It’s a good thing BoneSmart is here to give us the real picture.

Jammy, I’m just so glad you’ve turned that corner! Don’t be afraid of any little bumps that come your way after this…it sounds like you are well on your way into that bright future you’ve been waiting on! It IS a long and winding road. I hope your back/hip will behave themselves and let you really enjoy that new knee!

Well, here I am just 4 days short of 11 months post op! It feels like so long ago, and also so recent in some ways. My knee has improved in leaps and bounds the last couple of months. I hope those coming along behind me will take heart, because unlike many, my progress sped up later rather than earlier. And I can hardly believe how strong my knee is feeling right now.

Over the 4th of July weekend, my husband and I went on a 4 day horse camping trip in the mountains. We packed up all the food and gear for us and our two horses, drove four hours to the campsite, and set up camp. That alone was a lot of work, and I barely thought about my knee. We rode three days in a row, including some very challenging trail and some very fast riding. We also did a bit of hiking with our dog each day. Through all that, my knee held up beautifully. Hauling water for the horses and scrambling around in the underbrush looking for firewood was not a problem. All these things would have been unthinkable a short 3 months ago. I believe I will reach my goal of a backpacking trip before the end of summer.

This has been a very, very long process. I struggled hard the first several months and had very limited ROM, lots of discomfort, and felt very ‘behind’ the average knee replacement patient. My surgeon and PA and PT told me if I didn’t get a MUA, I would basically be a 45 year old cripple. My friends felt sorry for me and wondered if I’d ever be ok. I wondered too. I wish I could have seen me now. It would have given me strength.

Progress began slowly around 5 months and gradually gained speed as time went by. I found stores of patience I never knew I had. I was more depressed than I’ve ever been, and found I could survive it. My husband has been my rock and my cheerleader. BoneSmart was absolutely essential.

My knee is still not perfect. I still have lots of ROM to gain. I still stretch religiously and still elevate and rest after challenging activities. I even still ice every once in a while. I still follow the BoneSmart advice: if it hurts, I don’t do it. But I rarely have any pain at all. I rarely have any swelling. I have a strong, functional, dependable, wonderful new knee. I have no doubt I will keep improving in my second year.

I will keep y’all updated! And I will also continue to appreciate and enjoy visiting this forum occasionally, reading your stories, learning from you all, and having my faith in humanity restored by the generosity here.

Such a great report! Congratulations.
Thanks for keeping posting. I think a lot of people drop out once things improve and it tends to leave a rather pessimistic view for those behind, if only those having troubles post.
I still like a bit of elevation and ice even though I too am getting stronger all the time. I think it is good to pamper the knee a bit even now!
How is your numb patch these days- any change? Mine hasn't shifted much recently.

Hi @EalinGran thanks for reading. I agree that it’s good to see posts from people further out from surgery. I always used to read those with intense interest when things were especially hard, looking for hope in the long term.

My knee feels very low maintenance now, but I don’t take it for granted and I do try to give it a little extra care, even as it’s doing so much better. Our last day of riding on our trip was the most intense I’ve done yet, and on the drive home we stopped at a gas station and I got some ice to put on it in the truck.

My numb spot is still there, though it has shrunk a little. Just recently it felt a little itchy and when I gave it a little scratch I thought I could faintly feel it. The itch seemed like nerves awakening :)

Thank you for sharing this, @JusticeRider. Your journey is inspiring to other members whose recoveries started off slow!

Keep on healing!

Y’all, I am on my stationary bike pedaling as I write this. I am now officially on the lowest seat setting the bike has!! I just let it down the last click and I am happily pedaling away :yes!: I’m thrilled! Woohoo!

Last week I also successfully completed my first mountain hike! My previous hikes have been on local trails in my area, which fortunately has an abundance of lovely trails of varying difficulty. Many are in urban forest and some in parks, etc. Last week for the first time, I drove up to the mountains and met up with my old hiking buddy. We went 4 miles and up 1200 ft and back down. I would have classified it as a ‘medium’ or ‘moderate’ hike. NOT an ‘easy’ hike. Yay!!

My knee did so well. No pain or issues at all! And even my muscles and heart/lungs did great. I wasn’t sure how my stamina would be, but I guess building up gradually on the closer trails paid off! Trekking poles were quite helpful too. :thumb:

Hugs for your loss of sweet, Sky Dog.
I read of your heartache elsewhere so sending love and a hug. :console2:

On a lighter note, you're doing so well! Hiking in the mountains sounds lovely. I'm a smidge jelly. :wink:
No mountains to be seen in my neck of the woods. :sad:
@JusticeRider

@Layla thank you so much. I thought about posting about it on my thread, but it’s not related to my knee and such sad news. But we really are broken hearted and missing him so much. We don’t have kids but our pets are our babies and it’s so hard to lose one of them. He was a special guy and such a big part of our lives. Our sweet boy, but also the guardian and protector of our whole farm. It’s not the same without him.

It is difficult to say goodbye to our furry family members. They are faithful, loyal and worm their way into our hearts with their unconditional love. Wishing you both lots of comfort as your hearts heal.
@JusticeRider

I'm so sorry to hear about your sweet doggie moving over the Rainbow Bridge. My heart goes out to you.

What a great recovery report! You are such a champ! I couldn't have done that hike even before knee surgery. My favorite trail is a short walk from my home and I keep eying it when I pass the trailhead. Nope, not ready yet. @JusticeRider

So sorry for you- it is really hard losing a much loved dog.
Really glad that your knee is doing so well and getting really strong. I have done a couple of gentle country walks but nothing like a proper hike! Well done!

Thanks all. I am so happy about my knee progress and so sad about my sweet Sky Dog. One of my regrets is that because of my injuries, surgeries, and recovery, I couldn’t take him hiking (one of his favorite things in the world) for the last 3 yrs of his life. Right when I was almost ready to take him, we lost him and it was too late. I know it wasn’t my fault, but it makes me so sad that he missed out on those years of doing what he loved. My horse is also older now too, and also missed out on 3 years. Who knows how many we have left together. Ugh, I guess I’m feeling wistful this morning. But at the same time, it’s so great to be getting back to my life and hopefully not missing out on more! Life is strange.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Hip4life
    Staff member since January 6, 2022
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020