Well, here I am just 4 days short of 11 months post op! It feels like so long ago, and also so recent in some ways. My knee has improved in leaps and bounds the last couple of months. I hope those coming along behind me will take heart, because unlike many, my progress sped up later rather than earlier. And I can hardly believe how strong my knee is feeling right now.
Over the 4th of July weekend, my husband and I went on a 4 day horse camping trip in the mountains. We packed up all the food and gear for us and our two horses, drove four hours to the campsite, and set up camp. That alone was a lot of work, and I barely thought about my knee. We rode three days in a row, including some very challenging trail and some very fast riding. We also did a bit of hiking with our dog each day. Through all that, my knee held up beautifully. Hauling water for the horses and scrambling around in the underbrush looking for firewood was not a problem. All these things would have been unthinkable a short 3 months ago. I believe I will reach my goal of a backpacking trip before the end of summer.
This has been a very, very long process. I struggled hard the first several months and had very limited ROM, lots of discomfort, and felt very ‘behind’ the average knee replacement patient. My surgeon and PA and PT told me if I didn’t get a MUA, I would basically be a 45 year old cripple. My friends felt sorry for me and wondered if I’d ever be ok. I wondered too. I wish I could have seen me now. It would have given me strength.
Progress began slowly around 5 months and gradually gained speed as time went by. I found stores of patience I never knew I had. I was more depressed than I’ve ever been, and found I could survive it. My husband has been my rock and my cheerleader. BoneSmart was absolutely essential.
My knee is still not perfect. I still have lots of ROM to gain. I still stretch religiously and still elevate and rest after challenging activities. I even still ice every once in a while. I still follow the BoneSmart advice: if it hurts, I don’t do it. But I rarely have any pain at all. I rarely have any swelling. I have a strong, functional, dependable, wonderful new knee. I have no doubt I will keep improving in my second year.
I will keep y’all updated! And I will also continue to appreciate and enjoy visiting this forum occasionally, reading your stories, learning from you all, and having my faith in humanity restored by the generosity here.