PKR JusticeRider’s rehab adventure

Hi Justice, I still see weekly improvements!
Last week I had some swelling and aches after a very active day. ROM seemed tight. Did some heel slides and other stretches and this week she's great! Just got back from the gym....only did the bike. Need to work on leg strength without weights.
Sounds like your knee lives the bike, too!
 
@beachy, that’s great! And there will be more improvements to come, I have no doubt!

And the bike, yes. Miss knee appreciates her bike time for sure. I’m very glad I have one because it’s been my primary tool for stretching my knee once I got enough ROM to get the pedal around (that took a while!). I haven’t even gotten around to using it for cardio at all yet, just working on the flex. I use it religiously every evening no matter how tired I am.

I’m still jealous of your beautiful gym! We have a little ‘home gym’ type of thing in our wood shop, so I can’t justify the expense, but oh how I miss the gym! And yours has that gorgeous view…:roseshwr:
 
Hey BoneSmart friends! I saw a discussion on quad stretches on shr’s thread and didn’t want to hijack it but wanted to share one my new pt showed me. It has been a game changer for stretching a quad that’s been tight since my injury in 2020 and subsequent surgeries. I could never get as much of a quad stretch as I need with ROM being somewhat limited (I can’t stand and reach behind me and grab my foot). I saw @EalingGran and @WFD comment about this topic and thought I’d share!

So the stretch: Lie on your back on a bed, bench, etc. Lie at the very edge closest to your surgical leg. Hang your surgical leg off the side so your heel comes to rest on the floor. You can raise your other knee and put that foot flat on the bench/bed etc if you like. Here’s the crucial factor: the surface you’re lying on needs to be low enough that you can then place the foot of your surgical leg flat on the floor. (In my case, my bed is too high. I have a bench that works well.) When you first let that foot come to a rest on the floor (before placing it flat) you should feel a gentle stretch in your hip and maybe a tiny bit in your quad. But when you place that foot flat on the floor, you can pull your heel back slowly until you feel your quad stretch. It’s amazing how much you can stretch your quad this way! I hope I was able to describe it in a way that makes sense. Give it a try if you like, and let me know how it goes!
 
@JusticeRider Thank you so much for posting this quad stretch! I took a screen shot and will definitely try it. I’m doing everything I possibly can to avoid a MUA and I think my tight quad is hurting my bend. @Layla Thanks for the heads up! This is such an awesome community! :thankyou:
 
Hi @Christie b (: I hope that might be helpful for you! Tight quads definitely inhibit your flexion. In my case, the swelling was the number one problem that held me back for the first few months (about 5 months!). Only after that eased up did I start making real progress. After that, I think it’s been mostly a matter of tight muscles, tendons, and ligaments needing to stretch and lengthen. I’m still working on that, and am slowly but surely seeing improvement week over week. I am very pleased with how things are going these days!

I haven’t measured my ROM since I quit PT around 3 months post op (I’m over 9 months post op now). I refuse to fixate on it. I have concentrated instead on what I can do. Yesterday I rode my horse 10 miles. Today I hiked 6 miles in the woods on gently rolling trails. I started back with a new PT a few weeks ago and she’s just great. No measuring or obsessing over ROM, just really working on all the parts of my body and functional movement.

I read your thread, and I’m so sorry your surgeon and PT have been stressing you out over ROM and threatening you with a MUA. Mine did the same. My PA told me that I had to get to 120 by 12 weeks or they wanted to do a MUA (I was at 90 with painful pushing). I told him I would think about it. I messaged him the next day and just said “I am not inclined to do a MUA at this point”. I never heard from them again.

Honestly, I am glad every day that I didn’t do the MUA. My knee needed time for the swelling to subside. And then more time. Me and my knee have become friends over the past 9 months. I hope you can make friends with your new knee too, even if it needs more time than you ever (ever!) wanted to give it. As for the MUA, only you can know what’s right for your knee. Do your research, listen to your body and you’ll know what to do.

Everyone’s journey is different, but it’s good you found BoneSmart to keep you company along the way!
 
have concentrated instead on what I can do. Yesterday I rode my horse 10 miles. Today I hiked 6 miles in the woods on gently rolling trails. I started back with a new PT a few weeks ago and she’s just great. No measuring or obsessing over ROM, just really working on all the parts of my body and functional movement
Great news! I am so pleased you are getting back your old life. Your teacher sounds great.
 
@JusticeRider Thank you so much for your note. It’s so helpful to hear your story about how you were in a similar situation w/ the MUA threatened and how thankful you are that you didn’t do it. I‘m definitely not going to agree to it at this point, 3 weeks ago at 7 weeks post op I got up to 112 (well, to be fair that was with PT pushing HARD and what caused my set back in the first place, so let’s say I was at 100) so I know it can do it. I just need to be more patient. I wouldn’t say my knee and I are friends just yet, I spend too much time cursing her right now, but I know we will be eventually!

Thank you again for your note and I’m so glad that you are doing well. A 6 mile hike in the woods is amazing and is my dream right now.
 
@EalingGran thank you! I am so excited about how the last few days have gone! To ride and then hike on consecutive days with no soreness…! And then today (after a very low key morning) I cleared out two big vegetable garden beds to plant. I can’t believe I’m getting back to the things that make me ME. It’s a really good feeling. Thanks for all your support and solidarity!

@Christie b , you’re welcome! I know it’s hard to be where you’re at, and these doctors with their completely unrealistic timelines and pressure and threats sure don’t help. Don’t get me wrong, I’m grateful to my surgeon for doing (I think!) a great job of surgery on my knee, but it was BoneSmart that got me through recovery. That and my wonderful husband and friends and some big stores of patience that were buried deep, deep inside me that I didn’t think existed until I had no choice but to excavate them out of the dark depths of my soul. I’m being dramatic but it’s actually so true.

I don’t think most surgeons are very good at the recovery part, and they definitely don’t preach patience like they should. Quite the opposite! But while they are the experts on surgery, WE are the experts on our own unique bodies. We just have to listen to what our bodies are saying and give them the time to heal.
 
I don’t think most surgeons are very good at the recovery part, and they definitely don’t preach patience like they should. Quite the opposite! But while they are the experts on surgery, WE are the experts on our own unique bodies. We just have to listen to what our bodies are saying and give them the time to heal.
I agree!
 
Hello BoneSmart friends! I’m a little overdue leaving my 10 month update, but here goes! To help organize my thoughts, I’m going to break this down by types of activity:

Daily Living: Stairs continue to get easier. Going up has been totally fine for quite some time, but I still feel a bit of tightness going down and that’s not as fast or smooth as it could be. Getting up from seated is easy, even from one of those awful low toilets. Sitting down is fine except for the lowest seats, which I still find myself reaching back for. Squatting down is limited a bit, partly from limited ROM but also because of the cartilage damage in my other knee. It is far better than before surgery. I can get down on the floor and up again easily. I can kneel on all fours on a soft surface. Driving for a few hours is not a problem (it used to be for years before my PKR). I rarely have any swelling or heat in that knee. Only if I really overdo in the garden or similar activity, and even then it’s mild.

Farm Work: I am now doing all the barn chores I was doing before all this started. The only thing that bothers my knee at all is scooping the cow stall which involves shoveling heavy manure into a wheelbarrow and pushing it. Horse stalls are no problem. I can carry 50 lb feed sacks and walk with them from the truck to the barn. I am getting my large garden back into working order. It’s going very well preparing the soil, hauling compost, and raking and hoeing. Hand weeding and planting is still challenging. I’m not able to squat all the way down or kneel very much yet. I have a very thick yoga mat I use and just change positions frequently. I can crawl through corral fences and walk across 4 acres of uneven tall grass and ditches. Leading and handling the animals is totally fine and it’s so nice to be able to bend down and pick up their feet, etc with no pain and good stability.

Riding: My riding continues to improve, though I am nowhere near the level I was at before my injuries. At this point, the limiting factor is almost all my hip and hardly my knee at all. I am riding at walk, trot, and canter, posting the trot, and going up and down hills. Not back to training yet and may not go back. I can see myself just wanting to ride my own horse, at least for a while.

Hiking: I have been hiking about 5-6 miles on moderate trails (I have graduated from easy!). Uphills are feeling great. I am gaining strength all the time. Downhill is harder. I believe it is mainly a matter of building strength, overcoming some fear, and retraining my body how to do it. I walk most days and feel I could go 10 miles on flat ground. I need to continue to ramp up on hills and especially to improve the downhills. I have begun carrying a little more weight in a pack.

Exercises: I still ride the stationary bike religiously each evening for 20 minutes. I have one more click to go to be on the lowest setting. My other knee has begun to pop a bit so we’ll see if I get there. ROM has continued to improve in tiny increments. I very much hope and definitely expect to get more, but I could live with it where it is and be ok. I love my fantastic PT and go once a week. It is helping in so many ways, especially my riding. She is working on both my hip and my knee. Here are some examples of what she’s having me do: hip flexor stretches, standing external rotation, quad stretches, wall slide squats, short arc quad raises with toe turn out (hello vastus medialus!) alignment exercises, and balance work. She also does lots of manual therapy.

I think that’s quite enough from me for now! I really wanted to be thorough because so much has happened in the last month or two! Thanks for reading if you got this far. I am forever grateful for this community and the support, encouragement, wisdom, and solidarity here. Happy healing to all!
 
That is such a great report and you are doing so well! I am really impressed by all the barn work and gardening you are managing- just don't overdo it!
I think you show how good things can be if you take it steady and slow but also keep pushing the right kind of exercises. That vastus one has really helped with my medial pain on stairs.
I am trying to take the same approach and I am making gains as well in walking and stair climbing. We also both share the problems of having other joint issues which complicate our recovery.
Thanks for such a detailed post. I think it is really useful for those coming up behind. BoneSmart is really great but a lot of people drop out in later months once they are recovered. So it means that often the posts past 6 months are dominated by people who having problems with their implant. It is great to break down exactly what a good recovery consists of!
 
I just want to add, for all those coming along, a note on ROM. I want to share this because nearly all of us have a tremendous amount pressure put on us to increase our ROM by certain deadlines, or else.

Mine has been extremely slow coming. First I had to wait out the swelling, which in my case took more than 5 months. Yes, months. At that point I began to see real progress. It has continued to this day. I have seen improvement in the last 2 weeks. It’s still going. A this point I think the limiting factor is tight muscles, ligaments, and tendons from 3 yrs of very limited ROM and actually about 25 yrs of somewhat limited ROM. Those tissues are slowly stretching.

I have had to be willing to let my flexion improve at a glacial pace, be very patient, and tune out the dire warnings of my surgeon, PA, previous PT, and some well meaning acquaintances. I refused painful PT and refused a MUA. I have absolutely no regrets. I know my body, and I believe those things would have caused a domino effect of swelling and pain that may have derailed my recovery long term and even possibly have torn soft tissue, etc. I now know I have the added challenges of hypermobility and an immune condition that causes an inflammatory reaction. I think a MUA would have been very harmful to me.

Instead of forcing it, I have relied on weekly massage and using my stationary bike as a stretching aid every single day. I have been very active, but I have ramped up really, really gradually. I have not measured my flexion, because honestly I feel almost a PTSD type of reaction around it. All I care about is function and what I can do. My knee is very functional now, and still improving. I love my new knee. I’m glad I let it heal on its own timeline even though it was so much longer than everyone (most of all me!) would have liked.
 
Love your update, JR!
I‘d like to reference it going forward, when it applies.
It’s inspiring to read that you used your own judgment and were patient with your progress. Thanks for sharing your journey here!
Now, with your permission, I’d like to steal your post to hide in my Macros for those stressing about ROM. :wink:
@JusticeRider
 
All I care about is function and what I can do. My knee is very functional now, and still improving.
I think this is absolutely the right approach. I think some surgeons and physios/PTs seem obsessed by ROM to the detriment of function. My surgeon has never mentioned ROM but simply watched me walk and move.
I do also wonder whether some very fit people just have tighter muscles? Things like lots of sport/ riding etc make you very fit but probably exercised very specific muscles.
My joints are probably very mobile now because I was a bit hypermobile originally and never sporty.
 
I do also wonder whether some very fit people just have tighter muscles?
EalingGran, interesting that you say that. In my previous research on MUAs, I came upon more than one study that found youth and fitness (well, low BMI anyway) to actually be risk factors that increase the odds of needing a MUA. To my frustration, I found no information explaining why. Here’s one excerpt from a paper in the Bone and Joint Journal (UK)

​

Risk factors for manipulation under anaesthesia after total knee arthroplasty​

“Patients with increased age and body mass index (BMI) had a decreased likelihood of MUA. For every one-year increase in age, the likelihood of MUA decreased by 4%. Similarly, for every one-unit increase in BMI the likelihood of MUA decreased by 6%. There were no differences in incidence of MUA between component type/design or fixation method.”

And their conclusion:

Conclusion​

“Younger, thinner patients had highest incidence of MUA.”


(!) Isn’t that interesting? I would love to know the reasons why. If anyone knows, please share! I was 44 at the time of surgery and have a lower than average BMI.
 
Very interesting paper.
Can only think it must be to do with muscle development- but does make you wonder if MUA was the answer if it was just muscle tightness?
 
Could it be also that younger, fitter people are more aggressive with their rehab? Aggressive exercises cause the tissues to get hot and dry. Hot and dry tissues tend to stick together much easier than cool, moist tissues.
 
@JusticeRider thank you so much for your detailed update. I am healing ever so slowly and ice/rest are not helping the swelling. I feel like I'll never drive again and I want to find that magic bullet that makes me go from peg leg gait to sitting comfortably in a chair. I guess that bullet is called time. So I'll forge on knowing some day it will work. Best wishes for your continued recovery.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom