TKR Judlepip has Turned a Corner!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well. Update for my diary really. I'm now 6+ months. I'm not impressed with my recovery really; my knee feels stiff and cumbersome. Not really painful, but quite uncomfortable most of the time. I can't imagine I shall ever forget I have an alien part in my body. Not only that, but now that the swelling has died down quite a lot, my leg seems to be slightly crooked! I'm sure no-one would notice, but I know and that's the point for me. I can't think its worth bothering the doctor with. I will mention it to the surgeon when I see him in November, one year on. I can't really walk comfortably. I can do a few miles now, but it isn't carefree walking; I'm always aware I have a replacement knee. Not happy with the surgery if I'm honest.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
@Judlepip Hi there. Just wanted to respond to your post. So, would you say it is more cumbersome than before surgery? Do you have less pain/stiffness? I hear on here that recovery can still take more time. I hope that for you!!!
 
Hi @hopefaith. Yes, definitely more cumbersome, I don't remember it being any way like this before surgery; just painful, but not dreadfully so. I only had the TKR done because the surgeon assured me it was necessary - 'bone on bone' he said and I took his advice! I am still hoping that by the time the year is up I shall feel more comfortable. Thanks for your interest. How's yours doing?
 
@Judlepip well.....all this speak of ROM is discouraging. All I know is that my knee is very stiff. I actually got out and did a few things today, and then madam knee yells "get home, elevate, and ice.....NOW." So I do. I hope your evening/night is going well. You are on the other side of the pond, so its evening for you.

~hopefaith
 
@hopefaith. What speak of ROM? Is yours not what you'd like? Give it time. Time, patience and exercise!! You're wise to listen to your knee, if it says rest, etc. do it! Have an ok day over there in the US. Whereabouts are you? I have two pen pals over there; one in Virginia and one in Boston. Keep smiling!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
@Judlepip So how much do you walk and how many miles? I am totally impressed. I live in Colorado. Do you know where that is? Today was beautiful. Finally, warm, and very sunny. I love this time of year here.
 
@Jamie. Could I have your opinion please; RTKR in November 2013. As I think you know all has not been fantastic, but now that pain and swelling seem to have eased I note that this leg is crooked from the knee down. It is not dramatic, but it is definitely not straight as is the other leg. Is there anything I can do?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Hi @Judlepip, I just read your post on Nana moons thread about renewing your marriage vows, what a lovely idea, when will this be? Some friends of ours did that a few years ago and the vicar invited any couples present to join in, regardless of how long we'd been married for and my husband really surprised me by being the first to stand up. I felt so wonderful afterwards, at your own wedding you are so worried about the venue/ the caterers/ the guests, you don't get a chance to really think about the words you are saying, but this time I could listen properly and concentrate. I hope it all goes well for you.
I'm sorry to hear that you are not entirely happy with your new knee, I am 4&1/2 months out now and I am delighted. Yes, it does get stiff, I've been for a long walk this morning and I'm very glad to sit down now and soon I will go to the pool. It still hurts if I move suddenly in bed, and I have to do lots of stretches first thing in the morning, but....I can walk up stairs, instead of crawling, I can actually go for a walk, I can play with my grandson, I can stand and bake and wash up, I can cycle...all things I couldn't do before. It's far from perfect, but it's a lot better than it was. I hope yours does improve so that you come to like it more xxx Ellejay
 
I also saw that you are renewing after 50 years - I'm so amazed and impressed!!

Sorry about your knee - odd that your surgeon would recommend it when you were still using it so well? At any rate, I hope you figure out why it's not quite right. Perhaps post a picture?
 
Thanks for the comments, @Ellejay and@TexasTee. Our blessing on our marriage will be in August. Seems like a long way ahead, but I suppose it'll be here in no time! We're having big celebrations with family and friends after our private one at the church! The church one is the nearest to the day we could get; the actual date is on a Friday so we've opted for the following Sunday. Our friends and family celebration has to be the following week as there's events on in town the anniversary weekend so we couldn't book anywhere. It'll be lovely whatever.

@Texas Tee. I could post a picture of my crooked leg. I was hoping for a comment from Jamie as I would like to know if physio might help. No response though. I don't know where to get advice. I can't see the GP would know the answer.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
[Bonesmart.org] Judlepip has Turned a Corner!!
On their way!
 
Cute! Glad they made it to the water...I saw the end pic, first on NM27
 
Hello. No doubt I shall get told off for posting another topic (!), but as I asked for advice, but received none, I'm asking generally - has anyone else noticed that since surgery their operated leg is slightly crooked? I didn't notice it for months as the leg was so swollen, but now that the swelling is down it's quite apparent. I don't know if I should get my GP to refer me back to physio or what to do. I suppose my question is - is this normal and something to be expected? If not what do I do?
 
My legs were just the opposite…crooked before surgery, but straight afterwards. I might check in with my surgeon to see what he says. Is your leg painful when you walk?
 
Sorry you got no advice.

IMO legs are supposed to be straight after surgery (my bow-leggedness, for instance, was fixed); I'd get it checked out fully.
 
Thank you so much for your words of wisdom . I will get started on this today . I guess really need to get control of the situation. The biggest problem is I just turned it over and that makes me nervous.
 
My leg is crooked, slightly more bow legged now. Will be asking the surgeon in two weeks when I have a follow up appointment.
 
@Judiepip,

I'm sorry you didn't receive any replies, and as I notice it was Nov when you had surgery. When you say crooked, do you mean foot pointing outward, or leg twisted? There is a difference, as the foot pointed outward means that you need muscle strengthening. So yes, I would definitely talk to my OS and find out what is going on! Good luck and keep us posted! We care!:console2:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom