TKR Judlepip has Turned a Corner!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had hoped for a reply with opinion from @Josephine before I saw the doctor today, but nothing doing. I shall just have to see what he says. I thought it might be helpful to have an expert's opinion to show him. Heyho! Thanks to those who have replied, I will let you know what the medical opinion is. :chinstroke:
 
Hello @Judlepip - how did you get on at the doctors today?
Hope you got the answers you wanted and some reassurance, and that today is a better one for you.

Thinking of you
XX
 
Hi @dogwheels. Thanks for the query and the good wishes. Doc felt it probably was a little crooked; said he didn't think there was anything that could be done, but would be interested in Josephine's opinion if I get one. More pain meds and something to help sleep (amitriptyline). Not madly reassuring! How are you?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Judlepip - sorry that you didn't get a more satisfying answer to your concerns. The trouble is GPs are just that - Generalists, they always seem to want to sit on the fence. My one just nods her head and says 'Ah Christine, that knee of yours, too complicated, do you need to see Mr ****? Good, I will write a referral letter'.

I think someone suggested a physio session to you, to see if specific muscle strengthening may help? Its a worth a thought, as they could give you an opinion, and also suggest, if it beyond their scope, whether it is worth getting another appointment with your OS.

I am fine - thanks for asking. I am currently down at my other house, by the seaside in Dorset, as hubby is sailing all weekend. Its the first time I have been down since my op. So far I have managed the journey down, and all the stairs (its a town house over 4 floors) and the split levels in the living areas that I had somehow forgotten about! As the surrounding area is nice and flat, I am hoping to go for some little walks over the weekend, by the river and into the town etc. I'm also catching up with some of my friends. The weather is so lovely I am really enjoying the change of scenery. I've popped a few pics on my thread if you are interested and you can see where I am.
Things are going quite well knee-wise at the mo, and although one pesky muscle on the top inside of my knee gets very stiff and knotty, I am thinking less and less about the knee which has to be good. However, the desire not to jinx things or overdo, is never far from my mind. The thing for me is that it is already light years better than it has been for ages - my knee had really been dictating my life for a long old time. I am taking this whole thing very slowly and gently, as I have been told to do - counting my blessings and being grateful for every new achievement.

I do hope things improve for you soon, your knee settles down and the pain lessens.

Take care
XX
 
Doc felt it probably was a little crooked; said he didn't think there was anything that could be done, but would be interested in Josephine's opinion if I get one.
@Judlepip this is your GP speaking? My goodness! He wants an opinion from someone on the internet he's never heard of and knows nothing about? :doh: Good grief!

Anyway, I am so sorry I didn't get back to you sooner but I've been a tad unwell last few days.

I am assuming you didn't take this in a mirror, did you? I can see a scar on the right knee so I am trusting not!

Assuming that, my opinion is, and I think the photo says it all, that the right leg is seriously out of alignment as you can see by comparing the lines in the two legs here. You have some valgus deformity as you can see by comparison with the text book image on the right. No amount of physio will remedy this. You also have a little in the left knee but it's actually less than in the right!

This, btw, is true measurement as the line goes from the femoral head (or my best guess of it!) to the centre of the ankle joint.

[Bonesmart.org] Judlepip has Turned a Corner!!
[Bonesmart.org] Judlepip has Turned a Corner!!


I think you need to get a second opinion about this. If you would tell me which surgeon and hospital you used, I would be pleased to suggest an alternative.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Josephine. Thank you for your reply and your opinion regarding the knee. I suppose I could say I am glad that you've confirmed my view, I thought it looked crooked once the swelling subsided and I could see it. Now I'm wondering if this problem could be the cause of the slow recovery and the ongoing discomfort/pain? Is the valgus deformity due to arthritis or to the TKR? Is there a procedure that could correct it? Am I going to damage it further by walking distances on it when I can? Sorry for so many questions. I will PM you details of the surgeon and the hospital if you don't mind, as I don't think I should make it public. I am keen for a second opinion as you suggest.
 
Now I'm wondering if this problem could be the cause of the slow recovery and the ongoing discomfort/pain?
You bet it is!
Is the valgus deformity due to arthritis or to the TKR?
It may have originally been due to the arthritis but it should have been corrected by the TKR.

I'd also stay off it a bit. do some walking but in moderation. And you can ask me all the questions you want/need to. That's what I'm here for!
 
@Josephine. Thanks and OK - one question you missed; is there anything can be done to correct it? (and I'm seriously NOT thinking of another TKR, I don't think i could bear it!)
 
@Judlepip It is your thread, and you do get to rant on it! :yes: I had quite a rant on mine a few days ago. I am so sorry for the frustration you feel. It is valid! I sure get the walking and working out. I am right there. I am only 9 weeks out and I am so impatient to have a life again. I read over and over again how hard this recovery is on relationships. You are very normal, but that does not make it any easier. I would love to get a hold of that magic wand Nana Moon speaks of.
Thinking of you ,
~hopefaith
 
I am so sorry to read this Judlepip. I agree feel free to rant all you want! I would be ranting too! No wonder you have continued pain. I do hope you get a second opinion with someone Josephine recommends. (((Hugs)))
 
It seems a little late in the day to be asking this; I think ROM means the extent to which one can bend knee - 100 - 100+?, but I'm not clear what extension or Flexion mean? Could someone explain please.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Hi @Judlepip extension means how straight you can get it, which I'm my case isn't very good. Flexion I think is the bend. ROM simply stands for range of movement. There is a bit of confusion over this as we use the terminology different over here sometimes. Someone will explain better than me x x x x

Anyway how are you?

Love Nana moon 27 xoxoxo
 
Yep @Nana moon 27 - that's the way I understand it to be. Flexing is bending (typically in 2 or 3 figures ) / extending is straightening (typically a single figure).

I do hope that you are feeling a little better @Judlepip and that your husband enjoys his Father's Day card from you. Funny that - I just made a quick typo and typed Fathers Day cared - which in this case is most apt!

Take care
XX
 
No further explanation needed! You gals did it perfectly. Did that clear things up for you, @Judlepip?
 
Sorry to hear your alignment is off. Josphine will be able to help you with recommendations. I do think giving it a rest will help.
Sending you healing thoughts and prayers.
 
Thanks everyone for help, advice and support. Yes, thanks @Jamie, all now clear!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
@Josephine. Thanks for your help and advice - just for your information, as I hadn't seen Mr Jeer since the 8 week review, I thought it only fair to seek his advice before seeking a second opinion. To that end I have now booked an appointment with him in mid-July. I will let you know his view, although I fear he may disclaim all responsibility! Until then I shall try to avoid undue walking. What a nightmare this has turned out to be! (and how grateful I am to you for acknowledging and confirming my fears!) :flwrysmile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Judlepip - just wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you, and I am so sorry that the opinions that you have received are probably not what you wanted to hear, but more than likely what you suspected deep-down.

At least you have taken charge of the situation and must be feeling a little more in control now that your concerns have been listened to, discussed and you have taken the first steps to get some answers and assistance.

Yet again it seems a case of being evermore patient, not overdoing and biding your time until that all important appointment.

Love XX
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom