TKR Judlepip has Turned a Corner!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Nana moon 27 Thanks so much. I sincerely hope you get the answers you want from the OS. I thought I'd never get whole again and it's great to know that it was achievable after all! You'll get there, you're 6 weeks or so behind me. 6 weeks makes a lot of difference. If you can get some answers and the right treatment, you'll soon be racing after me! :running:xxx
 
@dogwheels. Sorry I can't find your recovery thread. How're you doing? Have you started on the measured calorie regime? Let me know how it goes and I hope you're not too lonely while hubs is away. xx


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Walking on treadmill 3x week. Seems to help the knee (and the weight loss!). Makes me feel wonderful too! I am aware it took me a long time to get here, I'm not being smug, I just want to share. You'll get there too! :)


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
My knee had a very slight setback this week, with my having overdone the 'rough walking' at the weekend, also being scrunched up and very uncomfortable on the rear seat of a coach for 4.5 hours! I went for the back seat in order to stretch out, but very sweet fellow travellers thought they would keep me company, so much of the back seat was not available! Heyho! Kindness or comfort? I went for kindness and so couldn't also experience comfort! I'm resting up ALL of today, slept in till 12noon and slouching around all afternoon!

No treadmill and no walking till the swelling and stiffness subside.



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Sorry to hear you overdid it - glad you were feeling like you could though! Rest/Ice/elevate and you'll be back to being king "queen!" of the mountain in no time :-)
 
Oh dear. I'm still 'set back' by my overdo at the weekend. Knee is swollen, stiff and painful. I feel as if I've gone back by a month! I'm medicating again, just as I was getting to the point when I thought I could cut them all out! Silly me! I'm just waiting now to hear of @Nana moon 27 's results from her OS. hoping, hoping, hoping it's all good news. Fingers and toes are crossed.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Is there anyone out there with an answer? 6 months post op. Knee is painful (not unbearable, but painful) feels stiff, heavy and very cumbersome. I can't walk comfortably, though I was doing so - a busy weekend seems to have put paid to that. I was so much better, but two 4 hour coach journeys and a long walk on rough ground seems to have done some damage. Is there a way back? What to do? Will any expert answer me and help? Feeling desperate.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
@Judlepip
It sounds like a bit of a set-back, but I don't think you will have done any permanent damage. The implant itself is strong and you won't have harmed it. It will all be soft tissue irritation at the unexpectedly busy travel and walk.

Rest up, ice. elevate and take something for the pain. Remember, we say that it takes a full year for recovery from a TKR and it's only 6 months since yours.

I guess you're now a fully-fledged member of the ODIC - the Over Did It Club. It's a pretty large club, and very easy to join, so don't feel bad about it. :console2:
 
@Celle Thank you so much for your support and advice. I don't seem to have any time this week for rest, but I can do all the others (ice, elevate and medicate) in any spare moments I can grab. It's silly to feel disheartened, but I was doing so. Feel better now and have officially joined the ODIC club!
 
Hi @Judlepip, I am so sorry you had to join that club. I am hoping you are feeling well real soon.Take care of yourself. Sending good wishes your way..:loveshwr:
 
I know it seems like everything should be totally back to normal after all this time, but the reality is that you can overdo things for quite some time after surgery. Everyone's situation is unique and you just have to listen to your body and respond accordingly. When you have pain or swelling after an activity, pull back and rest/ice/elevate/medicate until it's better. Then start again a bit more slowly. Recovery is still going on even a year or more out from surgery....it's just that you can function at that point.
 
Thanks everyone for replies. I really didn't imagine I could take such a huge backward step at this stage, but it helps to know it's not unusual. To be honest, I haven't been icing for a month or more now, so I shall try to do so if it will help. I thought (foolishly) I'd left all that behind. @Jamie Why is it that recovery is so very slow? To quote you - 'even a year or more out from surgery'! What is happening still at that stage? I didn't know that knee surgery took such a toll. I'd love to know the details of recovery. Being interested medically, I'd like to see or read something that explains the process. Is there anything you could direct me to?
 
Hello @Judlepip - poor old you. These knees seem to take a nasty delight in bringing you back to earth with a bump just when you feel that you are recovering, doing well and getting back to normal. Obviously yours did not like being on the back seat of the bus! Mind you in my youth (and I am sure in yours too) that was the place I always sat ........... for the obvious reasons :heehee:.

I was told last week by my OS that it will take at least a year to recover - and my physio said that I will go through regular swelling when overdoing or pushing the knee to do that little bit more. It seems to be par for the course for many of us here. My logic tells me that once that implant is in place and has settled then it is as steady as a rock - its all the soft bits, tissue and muscle that have to calm down. Given the considerably invasive procedures that take place with the replacement and the continuing aggravation while 'learning' to use the knee and building up strength again, its not really surprising that it takes a long while for the knee to calm down completely.

You know what they say @Judlepip - 'Patience is a Virtue' - trouble is we are not particularly virtuous!!

Take care and hope things improve again soon.

ChrisXX
 
Part of the reason recovery can take so long has to do with the knee joint itself. It is a very complex joint with a symphony of muscles, ligaments and tendons involved in its mechanics. You spend many years with arthritis slowing changing the dynamics of the joint and your ability to move correctly. Gradually, over time, your body adjusts all these soft tissues to compensate for the joint degeneration.

Then along comes joint replacement surgery which immediately puts your knee joint and your body back in proper alignment. Bones and tissue mend where they were cut, reamed or manipulated. But for those soft tissues that had realigned themselves, the process to readjust is not so quick. This is the part that can take so long. You must allow your body to realign and then strengthen those muscles that may have been underused during those years you were out of alignment. During this adjustment time, you can have pain and even swelling if you push a bit too hard.

It certainly can be a major recovery. Not everyone experiences recovery in the same way because not everyone's degeneration occurs in the same way. The best advice I can offer is to pay attention to what your body is telling you. You'll know when you're pushing it. Back off a bit and then start again. Slow and steady progess is better than hitting it hard and trying to regain strength and flexibility all at once.
 
Thank you Jamie. That is extremely helpful and I can now understand the logic behind the slow recovery. (I must have been one of those irritating children who always want to know WHY! - "but WHY Mummy?"!!). I am very happy to have that information you have provided. Thanks.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Hi @Judlepip I thought I'd come over and see how you're doing. Is your knee any better after the adventure of being squashed in a coach? I hope it is. Poor you x x x x I hope you're ok now xxx you're in my thoughts x x x
 
Hi @Nana moon 27. Thanks tons. I'm doing ok. Jus' rollin' along! I have some bad days while others seem much better. Once the much better ones are more than the bad, I'll be there! I had one whole day without any meds yesterday! That has to be a plus!
I was so glad to hear you have a date, even though it's some way off. I do hope you'll be on the straight road home then.

I'm just catching up on your thread about the hacking! Oh my. They're on to every trick aren't they, it's hard to stay one step ahead. Have a great day whatever you're doing and FEEL GREAT!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Hi @Judlepip Im going to be in Wales until 5th June. I will try and post when I can but you'll have to bear with me. I have to poach the wifi. If the weathers rubbish I won't be out in it! I have had a health scare today. I've posted about it on my head! I intend to be as healthy as I can now.

Love Nana moon 27 xxxxx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom