TKR Joyfull61's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to recovery again!

I'm glad it went well.
You'l probably find that the recovery from a TKR is not much different than from a PKR.

Just to remind you, here are the recovery articles again:
First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist (PT) - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

And then some wise words from members who have shared their experiences ...
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM

If that CPM machine is hurting your knee, ask to have it removed for a while. Also ask for the setting for the bend to be reduced.
Your new knee has done enough for today. now you need tdo get that pain under control.
 
Thanks. Sleep would be so nice but we all know you don't get sleep in a hospital. Every hour it's something.

My nurses are fabulous though..


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi y'all. This knee certainly has a mind if its own. It's particularly testy when a physicial therapist is told "that hurts too much, and I don't believe it's necessary just yet."
The morning after surgery, she was trying too get me to do straight leg lifts with no help from her. Then she help me with the quad sets. SERIOUSLY???? I was in tears and my husband asked her to leave...it all brought on an asthma attack.

Anyway, the head of PT came to see me and talk about what happened and someone different came the next time. She had a similar philosophy's, but didn't touch me except to help me move my keg.

I came home yesterday afternoon. Home is a much better place to be. I'm getting a little groovy so it's nap time got me!!
 
I don't understand the mindset of what seems like the majority of physical therapists. I'm glad your husband threw her out. Is there another home health company that you could use? I know my OS usually uses one company but I knew a therapist that worked for another company so I used the company he worked for. I had to make sure that I was able to use his company with my health insurance.
 
This was while I was still in the hospital!!! For the PKR three months ago, all they did was show me how to use the walker and how to knee heel slides.

Home health comes tomorrow for the first time. I'm curious to see how it goes.
 
I don't remember the pain being as bad last time. I also don't remember being as swollen. Apparently, my memory is wrong according to what my husband describes.
 
Hope a few days at home has settled down your new knee. The first couple of weeks are not loads of fun, but I hope you are on some decent pain meds so you can coast through it.
 
I hope you're home now, and feeling more comfortable.
Remember that your job right now is to rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock.

I hope you can continue to insist that nothing is done to hurt or stress your knees. Gentle treatment should be the order of the day.
 
I'm doing well, @Celle! I feel like I improve a little every day, although there seems to be a different ache or pain every day. Today, it's the side of my leg between the shin and calf. A gentle massage would probably do the trick. Too bad my husband has gone for a run and my daughter is still in bed. Self massage just isn't the same!
 
Do any of you have problems getting and staying comfortable? I'm SO tired of sleeping on my back, but can't get comfortable on my side. I haven't had much pain, but every night my leg starts aching and I make myself miserable trying to get comfortable. I just took my meds and am hoping for some relief soon.
 
I agree, I have tried multiply positions on the side, but also can't get comfortable. I end up sleeping in the recliner.
 
It's very early days in your recovery and unfortunately you are going to feel uncomfortable. Keep taking the pain meds on a regular schedule - especially don't skip the night-time doses - and sleep anywhere and any way that you can.

It doesn't matter whether you sleep in a bed, in a recliner, on the couch. Some people sleep in a recliner for months.

It's not unusual to have broken sleep at night, too. That's why daytime naps are important.

I moved into the spare bedroom for couple of months after each of my TKRs. I set up a tray so that I could make myself a hot drink in the night and I watched a lot of mindless night-time TV.
 
I think I need to go back to taking my meds on a strict schedule. I've let that fall by the wayside the past few days and would bet that's one reason for the discomfort. At least with the oxycodone I won't know or care if I'm comfortable.

A different part of my leg seems to hurt each day too. I wish it would make up its mind!
 
It's only two weeks since you second TKR. Yes, you do still need to keep taking those meds on a regular schedule - probably for at least the next month.
 
You're adorable, Celle. That's exactly what the nurse said....I just got off the phone with her and she is getting a new prescription ready for my husband to pick up tomorrow when he takes me in for PT Wednesday.

PT wore me out today, but it was good. I have the same therapist that I did for my left knee, so it makes it easier since we've had time to build a good relationship. I surprised her by walking in with just my cane instead of the walker.
 
Thanks for the compliment! I'm pleased to help.
 
You are still very early post TKR surgery---please keep taking those pain meds on schedule---you need them.

Your knee was surgically devastated, and it is going to need those pain meds to help you out
I think I need to go back to taking my meds on a strict schedule. I've let that fall by the wayside the past few days and would bet that's one reason for the discomfort. At least with the oxycodone I won't know or care if I'm comfortable.
You are absolutely correct in this self-assessment. Those pain meds will be necessary for a while---do not try to wan yourself away from them too early; take them because you need them.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom