Guest viewing is limited

TKR Joyfull61's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My only real problem is rising from a low seated position...it hurts like crazy. I've tried different placements of my feet and body. I've even worked with my physical therapist to make sure I'm not doing anything bizarre.
It's still very early days and getting up from low furniture is hard. As your knee recovers, you will gradually find that this becomes easier.
 
It is a difficult thing to do and I have had to make sure that I have a way of getting up from a low seat before I sit down. Our sofa is quite low and I have to pull the coffee table over beside me to lean on it with one hand while the other uses the arm of the sofa to lift myself up out of it. Maybe one day I won't have to rearrange the furniture when I want to stand up!
 
I went in for my six-week visit yesterday - I'm doing great and the surgeon is very pleased with my progress.

This big news? My right knee is schedule for November, 30. I get to start all over again! Yipee!! I'll be able to enjoy Thanksgiving and hopefully will be alert and a little mobile by Christmas. (Of course, that's based on my recovery with the left knee.) My fingers will be crossed that things will work out much the same. I know there are no guarantees and will be preared for surprises.
 
My fingers will be crossed that things will work out much the same.
I hope it does. Good luck. By spring, you might be able to plant some flowers (I'm thinking of the bending and kneeling required for that).
 
Its good to have the two done closer together in my opinion. I should have - but circumstances prevented it and the second knee was far more mangled and damaged than it should have been hence the issues with been gaining a few more degrees of flexion.
Spring will be beckoning you when you finish the cider!
 
I joined the overdid it club this weekend. My husband and I went out of town with several couples. About half the group ran in a half-marathon. My feet are swollen, both knees ache, and I'm incredibly exhausted.,sleep,will be SO nice tonight. Work tomorrow is going to be hard. Oh, well. I played and now I'll pay. :sleep::sleep:
 
I'm not sure anyone is around, but have a question about swelling. My knee looks fine, but my ankles and feet are swollen - both legs. I've definitely been overdoing it, but is this normal at eight weeks? My recovery has been almost too easy at this point, so I guess it's payback time.

Right now I'm trying to ice and elevate as much as possible as well as keep well hydrated. I suppose I should drag out those dreadful stockings too. Ugh. I'm vowing to find a way to elevate my leg while at my desk tomorrow and ice more.

Is there anything additional I'm missing????
:gaah::gaah:
 
Yes, I think it's normal for your ankles to b e swollen at this stage in your recovery.

I remember that, 4 months after my right revision to TKR, my right ankle was swollen, while the left one wasn't.

Rest, ice and elevation will be the answer for quite a long while yet.
 
@Celle, thanks for the reply. Elevation is the primary area where I've fallen short the past week. I usually work from home and am able to elevate most of the day. I've had to be in the office last week and this week, and although I'm sitting most of the time, I'm not elevating as I should.
 
I've had to be in the office last week and this week, and although I'm sitting most of the time, I'm not elevating as I should.
hey @Joyfull61, I worked from home for many weeks before returning to the office. More swelling occurred when I just sat for most the day then when I was home and was able to alternate between sitting, reclining and lying down during the day. I iced a lot those 1st few weeks in the office. The office, even in sedentary role, proved a bit more challenging for The Knee than working from home. Just my experience, I'm sure there are others.
 
That's what I'm afraid of. I went down to our wellness center today and rode the bike for a few minutes. I immediately felt better...both in body and spirit.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Well don't be afraid to be a complete slug when you get home. :zzz:
 
I'm pretty good at being a slug!

I could see my ankles yesterday, but I did some shopping last night. They disappeared again.
 
One month from today, I go in for my right knee. I'm excited about it even though I know it's going to be painful.

December should be fun for several of us!
 
I finally found my ankles again!!! All it took was a week of elevating, icing, and resting. :yes!:

27 days, 18 hours until my right knee goes under the knife (and saw, and drill, and other things I don't like to think about). :eeeuw:
 
@Joyfull61
I had my knee revision on December 9th one year. I was able to get up to sit at the table for Christmas dinner (which someone else cooked) but I went back to bed straight afterwards.

I enjoyed that Christmas, partly because I didn't have to do any work for it. I had planned ahead and already bought presents for the children before I went into hospital. For all the adults I sent flowers, ordered on line.

I hope that, with your 30th November surgery date, you will also enjoy your Christmas.
Best wishes for the "big day".
 
@Celle,
That's my hope. I hope to get most or all of my shopping done before surgery. Otherwise, I can order on-line but there's no telling what I might buy under the influence of drugs!!!
 
Good point! Recently I received TWO vacuum cleaner attachments to clean my dryer vent. Not sure why my drugged self was so eager for this accessory. My sister was happy to take the extra one.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom