TKR Joyfull61's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joyfull61

Country
United States United States
I mostly work from home and am hoping to be able to work during my third week post op. Am I nuts and totally unrealistic?

You may be able to get some work done, but you may be on pain meds longer than that. I was on Oxycontin for some time, and it interfered with my ability to concentrate---I could only read and grade a few essays at a time before I either fell asleep or could not concentrate any more.

At three weeks, you may still be in the "Dark Days of Recovery", so you may have some issues getting consistent work done. You will still need to ice, to elevate, and to rest, and even if you are using a computer, you most likely will still be rather tired.

You can try it, certainly, but be prepared for getting less done than you think you should be able to do.

I went back 3 1/2 weeks after RTKR. At my office. But have a total desk job. Since you would be at home, make sure you set it up so you can elevate and ice. I did so and it worked out. But I was very tired the first couple of weeks.

We all recover at different rates and in different ways. You may be able to recover very quickly---and that would be great---but understand that you also may recover somewhat more slowly (I did!) and you have to accept whatever your knee and your body decide to have in store for you.

(Didn't intend to click reply)

I can take as much time as needed, although I'd rather get back to a somewhat normal schedule sooner rather than later.

One bright spot is that I was running and walking until February. Hopefully my muscles are still strong enough to make recovery a little easier. At the least I hope they remember what to do.

Hopefully my muscles are still strong enough to make recovery a little easier.
I learned how quickly my muscles atrophied after surgery---I really had to gently and slowly work on building strength, stamina, and ROM after my BTKR.

i like your pic of running. I've run 15 years a lot of 1/2 marathons and 2 marathons.
But after getting my tkr I'm going to just watch others run so my new knee can last a long time
Time to buy a good bike---or three!

Seriously, it is just as addictive as running and there are all kinds of gadgets and gear to purchase.

I took 6 weeks then when I talked to someone after they said my dr usually does 12 weeks with bilateral.. I'm still struggling and I'm 4 weeks out tomorrow on my first surgery.. I'm tired can't concentrate in pain and have a horrible time sleeping. You may do better since you were in such good shape.. But I hear others that have gone back early and done great

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk

I am taking 12 weeks!! Not gonna rush this thing, I have been in my current position for 20 years, so I deserve my full 12 weeks....LOL!!! I know lots on here have went back pretty early especially to desk jobs/at home work. Good luck!!

You may need to work staggered hours initially and work your way up to full days. I'm planning on working 4 hours a day rising to full day over a few weeks.

I took a week off to have the surgery and then worked from home full time since week 2. I stopped all narcotics at week 6 and returned to the office (desk job with lots of walking to meetings) at 7 weeks. I am now at 8 weeks and after all is said and done, I wish I had taken a proper short term leave. Even 3 or 4 weeks off would have let my knee drive my decisions instead of my workload.

I think my recovery has been relatively problem free with all the usual headaches - the constant pain management, the activity balance (do I or don't I), the emotional rollercoaster, the ever changing limits (sometimes in the wrong direction), stiff/swollen joints and sleepless nights. If I have it to do over (and I may for the right knee), I will take the time off and delay my return to work.

I went back to the classroom at eight weeks---my OS pondered it and said that it would be doable.

I thought eight weeks was my "magic day." I found out that I went back too soon.

I would wake up in the morning (that is after I got over my sleep issues) and my knee would feel pretty good, and, even with icing it and elevating it throughout the school day, it would stiffen up during the day.

By the time I got home, I was stiff, sore, and exhausted.

Looking back, I now know that this lengthened my recovery.

Since you are working from home, it might be easier, but I still do believe that you should give yourself as much time as you can.

Lots of good information! I can't wait to get things underway. Not being able to live normally is no way to live.

PKR/Possible TKR - August 31, 2015

I had both knees replaced 4-23. Went back full time after 7 weeks. That was too early, and I paid for it. Had to take a step back, and for 2 weeks I worked wednesdays only at the office. Getting ready to go back full time, 4 months post-op, and hope this works out better. Sitting behind a desk for long stretches is not ideal for new knees. If you have to sit behind a desk, make sure you get up periodically and stretch. If you can ice at work, that is even better. Good luck.

August 31 can't get here soon enough. I've been on my feet for several hours and now my good knee feels horrible.

My husband and I are hosting a brunch tomorrow and I'm in bed icing my knees while he is doing things I'd normally be doing. This. Is. Miserable.

PKR/Possible TKR - August 31, 2015

As a special Ed teacher who got hurt on the job I'm embarrassed to say I took 8 months off. Thankfully for Workmans comp
Wasn't in a hurry to go back chasing after pre schoolers
Guess I got somewhat lucky
Susanne

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®

I mostly work from home and am hoping to be able to work during my third week post op. Am I nuts and totally unrealistic?
Just might be able to answe rthat question if we knew what your job is! Otherwise we're a tad in teh dark!
Hopefully my muscles are still strong enough to make recovery a little easier.
That doesn't factor in, I'm afraid. It's popularly supposed that it does but like so many other little whimsies like this, it's all myth!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562