Guest viewing is limited

TKR Joyfull61's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
:yes!: Are the pain meds helping you get more comfortable?
 
Definitely, @kneeper! I'm taking the high end dosage on everything whether I feel like I need it or not. The nurse said to do this for another couple of weeks and then gradually taper off to the lesser dodge. That should work fine since I'd like to start working from home in January.

I did a few minutes of shopping with my daughter and then had lunch after PT today. Just that little bit of activity knocked me out for a four hour nap. It was nice. :sleep::sleep:
 
Y'all. I just absentmindedly tried to sit cross legged on the bed. OMGEEE. That hurt like mad. My right knee isn't able to bend like that yet. OUCH. If there was any scar tissue there, I just broke it up!!! Yesterday, I stood up and heard/felt a giant pop in my left knee. It kind of felt good. I think it was just a tight tendon that moved to right spot. Every day is an adventure.

Healing is going well. I have outpatient PT twice a week. Nothing out of the ordinary. Flexion is great at 110, but extension is giving me fits. This leg does not want to straighten.

My main issues are boredom, depression, and impatience. I'm not used to bein so cooped up. With my left knee, I was driving and (working from home) at 3 weeks and would run short errands to keep my head occupied. My right leg is a different story. It'll be 4 weeks this Monday and I'm about to go bonkers. I'm going to give myself another week of taking it easy then I'm going to ask to return to work, at least on a limited basis. I've got to do something before I drive myself batty.
 
At about 4-5 weeks is when most of us, even the most "homebody" among us, start to get a little stir crazy. The problem is that we're still healing and need the down time.

If there are some small things you can do from home for work, that might be ok; but as you've learned no two post op knees behave in exactly the same way. It does sound like you could use a few *short* trips out and about.
 
My marathon runner husband humored me with a walk around the block. It was great to get out for some fresh air. I didn't break any speed records, but I got it done and got tired just as we turned the corner near our house.

I have PT tomorrow and a couple of outings this week. Hopefully the blues will pass.
 
Almost six weeks out now and I returned to work yesterday part-time. I should have taken another week, but I really needed to see a full paycheck again. It's definitely helping my mental state. I'm able to ice and elevate, so it isn't so bad. The best thing is that the 24/7 arthritis pain is gone. Sure the TKR pain is a pain, but I know it will get better. Living with the arthritis pain as long as I did was horrible.

My pain levels are low, incision looks great, flexion is at 125 and extension is anywhere from 2-5 depending on the day. I never dreamed it would be so hard to get my leg flat! PT is twice per week. I started out with three times a week - that was too much. I'm not using my cane, I've grocery shopped a couple of times, and I've clothes shopped with my daughter. When I feel like I'm getting tired, I wrap it up quickly and head home. Once I rest and ice, I'm generally okay the next day.

I still can't descend stairs very well and without pain. Climbing stairs is much easier. The same goes for low chairs. It's not as painful as before the TKR, but it still hurts. I'm looking forward to the day when I can remove the elevated toilet seat. It's the little things!!
 
Great report! I find stairs to be very hard also. Toilets? I NEVER knew that public toilets were so LOW! I think they install kiddie toilets in some bathrooms! I am 5'8" and have long legs and getting down on some toilets is misery - not to mention getting up. The bars in a handicapped toilet make no sense to me to be installed horizontally. How are you supposed to pull yourself up? Sorry for the rant! :heehee:
 
Hi there Joyfull61!!
I also got crazy this week...
It's nice you got back to work. I have to start serious job hunting in the next week or so. It is a bit daunting because I was self-employed and then only worked for one company for ten years.
I learned what to expect for interviews in that organization, but feel totally out of my element interviewing elsewhere.
Life is an adventure!!

We seem to be very similar in our progress...isn't it amazing how aware we become of chairs and toilets?
I agree with you @Timetolive...handicap bathrooms aren't always user-friendly!! I almost got stuck on one that I just couldn't get up from. Desperation gave me that little extra oomph...eventually. :heehee:
 
I'm 5'7" with long legs...I hear you!! There is a woman on my floor who apparently has my exact bladder schedule. She's in great health and ALWAYS goes in the handicapped stall. I typically turn around and go to the next floor where the handicapped stall is usually available.

I've heard that sitting and rising on low seats is one of the last things to improve. Oy.

:tantrum2::tantrum2:
 
That is a bad situation to try to remedy when someone uses the handicap toilet. Does she KNOW you just had a TKR? My daughter was with me and someone went in the handicap toilet when there were others available and she remarks (rather loudly) "Mom, I am sorry someone is using the handicap toilet, are you ok waiting?" Hahahaha! I did tell her that not all handicaps are visible.
 
I've had to use the handicap stalls for years now. I guess I'm very lucky that over the years I have developed some very good arm strength. Of course they don't look that way but they can do the job quite well!:snork:
 
How long does it take most people to be able to sit that low and get up without pain??

I'm also trying to figure out how to get down on the floor and back up. These milestones are important!!!
 
I can sit and get up without pain sometimes. It's just hit or miss right now.

I haven't tried the floor yet. I'm waiting until my daughter rents a forklift just in case!:rotfl:
 
Just before my RTKR, I was able to get down and back up after my left knee partial replacement. I think it'll be a few weeks before I try it again.

There's a yoga nidra session want to attend in a couple of weeks. It's all on the floor. My friends guarantee they can help me down and up. I told them they might need a forklift!!!

I'm also wanting to take a long bath but have no idea how I'd get out of the tub. :bath:Maybe I need as much OT as PT.

Great minds think alike! :heehee:
 
I'm also wanting to take a long bath but have no idea how I'd get out of the tub. :bath:Maybe I need as much OT as PT.
Before you have a bath, do try a "dry run". Practice getting into and out of the bath while you're fully clothed. It's much less embarrassing if you need to be rescued while dressed than if you're wet and naked.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom