TKR Josephine's knee story

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry you had this bad experience with the one nurse, Josephine.

I had a much better experience with nurses with my 2nd knee. I noticed that my hospital is now MAGNET recognized. Are you familiar with that program?

btw: thanks for posting those OR/theatre images in spoiler. I couldn't help myself and looked at the first one, but didn't look at the others. :heehee:
 
That's funny - it's just what sister Jean said - how can a person resist when you see a 'don't look at this' message!
I'm glad some found them informative though.

Been feeling a bit sorry for myself to day. Pain is controlled up to a point but grinding and persistent. I'm taking my meds are per this chart but it doesn't seem to be enough. I shall have to rethink it for the early weeks.

I also got a new connector tube for my Cryo-cuff and was able to get it working finally. Then realised the value of it compared to just ice packs. I also happened upon this article "cryo cuff vs ice packs" which was very revealing albeit it a very small study.

"Pain and swelling, which may lead to inhibition of the extensor mechanism and ultimately a delay in rehabilitation, are common complications of knee arthroscopy. Cryotherapy is the most often used means of decreasing both knee edema and discomfort. A number of methods have been used to provide cold pressure dressings, including ice and elastic bandages. Commercial devices, such as the Cryo/Cuff, also have been developed to provide similar beneficial effects.

This article describes a multicenter randomized study undertaken to determine whether the Cryo/Cuff or the ice and elastic bandage offers the greatest convenience and relief of pain. 102 patients between the ages of 18 and 65 scheduled to undergo knee arthroscopy were enrolled in the study. Postoperatively, the Cryo/Cuff patients required significantly less pain medication than those patients using the ice and elastic wrap.

The Cryo/Cuff patients also expressed a higher level of satisfaction with the effectiveness and convenience of the therapy. There were no differences between either group in the amount of pain reported, or preoperative and postoperative examinations in regard to knee range of motion and thigh circumference. These results indicate that the Cryo/Cuff is a useful adjunct in the rehabilitation of knee arthroscopy patients."

Not bad, eh?
 
Sorry you've been a bit down, do you have any friends or neighbours that can come in for a chat? What was the problem with the cryo cuff connector tube? I have two 'old type' cuffs and one 'new type' and two containers, but they all seem to fit each other, so I'm lucky enough to have an upstairs and a downstairs model, and one cuff stays in the freezer all day, and I just strap that one on at bedtime.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Jo, I had to use an extra pain med in my first 10 days---oxycontin. You take it twice a day and it really provided the "big guns" as the nurses said. I also took 5 mg of percoset every four hours. After 10 days, I took just the percoset and it was fine.
 
Pain is controlled up to a point but grinding and persistent. I'm taking my meds are per this chart but it doesn't seem to be enough. I shall have to rethink it for the early weeks.
Jo, did you mean to post a chart of your pain meds? I would be interested to know what you're taking. I don't like hearing that your pain is not under control. We need a happy bunny! Of course, those MWOAs (manipulation without anesthetic) on the stairs could be part of the problem! You are now officially banned from talking and walking....:heehee:....at the same time while under the "influence."

Hon, you must keep repeating......early days, early days! You are a scant week out!!! We're here for you when you're not snoozing. You're gonna be just fine!!! What's that famous BoneSmart word......oh yeah.....patience (said with love)!!!
 
Hi Josephine, I hope you can soon get your pain better controlled, so that you can rest properly.

Is there any way you can minimise the number of times you have to go up and down your stairs?

Best wishes. :flwrysmile:
 
do you have any friends or neighbours that can come in for a chat?
Yes I do but she's not much of a conversationalist! Totally lovely lady and would do anything.
What was the problem with the cryo cuff connector tube?
The connector tube was blocked with algae. It hadn't been used in 5 years! Got a new tube now so all is well!
you must keep repeating......early days, early days!
Oh I do, I do!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Josephine's knee story
    aa Tramadol routine.JPG
    17.9 KB · Views: 337
If I ever need my other knee done, I would absolutely look into getting a cryo cuff. Have seen them on amazon. I was allowed to take knee 'bit' home full of water and just kept freezing it. It did eventually lose its water..... Hope your pain is better Josephine. Take the pills and sleep!
 
Dropped in to say hi!! Glad your home.
Best of wishes!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Just checking to see how you are doing Jo. This is the hard part - finding the routine and getting mobile again. Hang in there - you know it gets better!
 
Hi @Josephine you're back:flwrysmile: Just read your recovery thread thank you for the detail.... I am a ghoul n loved da pics. Sounds like you are getting everything under control. Look after YOU - cheers Maggie x
 
I am NOT a happy bunny today. Leg is as hard as a rock and I ache from the hip right down to mid-calf. Mostly the bruising, I suppose but I wish it would go away!

I've actually managed to transfer to one crutch for most manoeuvrings! I'm still being extremely careful tho but! And only 8 days out. Done a heap of elevating and icing and actually got my swelling on my foot down from looking like a lump of uncooked dough to something vaguely like a foot!
 
Hi Josephine,
I'm sorry your leg is still so swollen and stiff. :console2: Keep up the icing and elevating and this, too, shall pass!

Looking after yourself, you're probably doing more than most of us did at 8 days post-op.

Did you get your meds sorted out?

HUGS!!
 
Sorry you aren't happy Josephine, you know more than most of us that things improve from day to day. You are already a week out, so things will get better. Thinking of you and sending hugs ((())).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom