TKR Josephine's knee story

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Poppet Jo has her Turkey & Leek pies in her freezer. Great article. I used to take Acerola vit c chewable tabs but I can't find them anymore. They used to be in Foodtown supermarkets.
 
Had a call from Jo just over an hour ago but unable to reply as my netbook and laptop are being repaired at the moment. So have dusted my desk-top and switched it on.

She was in the waiting room for an ambulance to taxi her home. The trouble with this arrangement is that they don't give any specific time and you just have to sit and wait until one becomes available. She might even be already home as I type this.

I am sure there will be a post on here very soon, after she has had a nice uninterrupted doze. Funny how when you settle down for a snooze in a hospital bed somebody always comes to ask something, do your BP etc.
 
Thanks for keeping us updated Jean! Wish I was nearer to you Jo! I would come and play taxi myself. Safe journey my friend.
 
Good to hear she is on her way home...if not already home!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Just had a wonderfully reassuring chat with Jo on the phone - I am seriously in awe of this woman.

It was SO GOOD to hear her voice!

She sounds so well, even though it was 3 am in the morning UK time.

Jo indicated she hopes to post tomorrow her time.
 
It is wonderful to read that she is home and on the mend there---that will be a great psychological lift!

Thanks so much for giving us the updates!
 
:yahoo: Finally and at last - here I am! Thank you everyone for your good wishes and encouragement - it's meant such a lot. Jean has kept me posted.

So you all know me pretty well by now so will also know that I don't post insignificant posts!

Here's my tale ....

Arrived at the hospital at 12:30pm and had a short wait before being taken up to the pre-op admissions suite. I am very impressed with the new arrangements at Sunderland Royal Hospital (D level theatres but more on that as I go.

Was taken to a small room to be admitted and changed into my op gown. Here the admitting nurse, the registrar, the anaesthetist, the ODP (operating department practitioner) and the surgeon came to see me, each checking details and giving me their own bit of spiel! The surgeon came back a couple of times because, since I was first on the list, he wanted to get on and was getting irritated by the delays.

So eventually I was taken through to the 'block room' where it seems all the blocks and epidurals for the department are done which was quite reassuring as you then knew they did nothing else. However the lady doctor who actually did it had a little difficulty and when I heard her ask for a 'longer needle' I had to laugh and say "No kidding!".

So spinal successfully accomplished, they then injected a large amount of lidocane into the back of my knee. The consultant told me was a new procedure as evidence had shown that most of the pain experienced post-op appeared to be from there. Ah well, can't argue with that! Then they did the femoral nerve block. Both these procedures were totally pain free because, of course, they were done in the area that was numb from the spinal. All three were very effective.

I was then wheeled into the anaesthetic room where a nurse came and catheterised me (at my request) and that's when I must have been given the knock-out stuff as the next thing I knew I was in recovery!

Sorry, I just took some pain meds and am now so sleepy I can't continue with this just now.
Next instalment later!
 
Nice one lucky you having block i wasnt allowed. I had tonsils out in old Blunderland hospital. Woke up and pillow sheet all covered in red stuff. Mind you was knocked out for surgery but before i went doink im sure i saw a gowned chap reading the Sun!!!!!! Happy snoozles
 
Welcome home Josephine, I hope you feel better now you are in control.
 
Oh I do, I do! So much nicer to be rid of those bossy nurses who have always got something else for you to do!

Part 2 - the surgery:
His nibs told me it was pretty much of a replay of #1 except he had to put in a patellar button as there was quite a bit of wear in mine. That's perfectly okay with me - I'm of the proactive mentality and would much sooner treat that now rather than later.

Was cold in recovery so had a hugger blanket which is really, nice plus foot pumps to do the anti-clot thing. Also had a hypo as didn't have any diabetic meds that day but a couple of tubes of glucose gel soon put that right! However, when the nurse asked if it was okay I had to admit I'd sooner have had a Mars bar!

So after visits from several ex-colleagues, back to the ward where I found I had a room to myself! Drainage was moderate but I did get one bag re-infused which was pleasing but sadly it ran too slow and kept getting blocked so I only had about 300 out of 500mls of it. It was very satisfying to have your own product back into your veins! It was also great not having to worry about having a pee on account of the catheter! Had foot pumps on until the next morning.

First night was good with more than adequate pain meds. Had oxycontine 10mg SR twice a day and could have oramorph 10mgs every hour. Prety good I'd say!

Now feeling drowsy again - so will be back in a while
 
So glad you are home safe and sound Jo. Take care!
 
Hi @Josephine ! Glad you are on the other side and doing well!

I didn't have a spinal, so putting my femoral block in was a little more "memorable" than I would've liked! That and taking the drainage tube out were probably the two most painful things out of the whole hospital experience for me.

So many are glad you're back and look forward to reading your updates. Take care of yourself.
 
Welcome back Josephine,

It's lovely to hear from you. I'm so glad that your surgery went well and you're back with us. It was nice that your colleagues popped in to see you.

I read with interest about the Lidocaine in the back of the knee. I will be very interested to see how that works out x x x

Well done and congratulations

Love Nana moon 27 x
 
Great news Josephine...glad you are home and ready to start your recovery. Looking forward to your next instalment...Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Very glad you are home and in recovery.
Interesting about the lidocane behind the knee.
 
I'm glad you're home safe and sound, Josephine!

I'm sure you have your little nest set up in your recliner and will be spending most of your time there!
Rest and mend, ice and elevate, take your meds when they are due - you know the drill!

Best wishes.
 
Hope you're enjoying a restful day, Jo. There is probably a leek pie calling your name!
 
Happy to be reading good reports, Jo. Sending vibes for a continued smooth, steady, and effective recovery.

Sharon
 
Great to read your story, Jo, I hope all goes well from now on.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom