TKR Josephine's knee story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you @kaydubs Your kind comments are much appreciated.

I am trying to get this idea published but guess what - no medical journal is willing to even publish a letter!
Now there's a surprise! :loll:
 
@Josephine Well I finally got through the recovery stories - my that second knee sure gave you a run for your money!! I didn't look at the pictures - I am not good at that so I breezed right by those links..... I think I am glad I am doing both at once..... that whole infection thing is very scary!! You did a great job explaining all the experiences. I have no idea what type of device is being installed and have no idea about the blocks, medicines, etc. I trust my surgeon completely with his experience.... So being not very medical - I really just want to get better and have no advice whatsoever on the topic...... 35 days and counting!! Trying not to be too nervous...... On raising the legs - I did get a wedge pillow - guess I didn't read the elevating post until later - If I put a pillow on top of the wedge that should make it so my knees aren't to bent - does that make sense??? I don't have lots of pillows which is why I got it.... I am a real shorty so I am thinking that will work?
 
I have that same type of wedge and I used one pillow on the slanted side and two on top - works perfectly and I don't have the problem of pillow collapse -
 
I really just want to get better and have no advice whatsoever on the topic
You cannot be serious! (just kidding!) I do understand how this can all be a bit overwhelming when you've never been involved with anything medical before. But seriously, you do need to get informed about what your recovery entails, what's good, what's bad and what's in between. Otherwise how will you know if you are managing your recovery well?
I did get a wedge pillow - guess I didn't read the elevating post until later - If I put a pillow on top of the wedge that should make it so my knees aren't to bent - does that make sense???
Oh absolutely that will do! The happy medium is to have your leg a little bent for comfort. Some nurses and PTs will gasp in horror and either say a) the knee should be totally straight or b) it shouldn't be elevated at all! Both of which are at least extreme and generally incorrect. If you elevate with your leg totally straight it will be uncomfortable or maybe even painful because extension is generally a little slow coming back. This is not due to any serious malfunction but just because of swelling and so you need to elevate to manage the swelling! That's why their directions are faulted.
 
I can second what Josephine is saying about totally straight... I was in an immobilizer for 4 days due to a pain pump, and while my extension was good from it, having my leg so straight was very uncomfortable and made for a real challenge getting any flexion early on. I was (and am still) most comfortable when elevated with a slight bend in the knee. Much less stif when I get up to move.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom