Guest viewing is limited

TKR Josephine's knee story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats on your successful start to your recovery journey!!!!!
 
Even though I knew you were out of surgery, I still found myself wanting to read an actual post from you! Glad to hear things went well. Intrigued by the lidocaine behind the knee.....love hearing about new techniques! Rest up and keep us updated when you are able!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Cheers and best wishes. I hope your recovery goes well and quicker than expected.
 
The lidocaine worked really well. Haven't had any where near as much pain as I did first time around. I believe it's referred to as a popliteal block but don't quote me yet as I shall have to confirm it.
There is probably a leek pie calling your name!
Most likely, Jamie, but my stomach appears to have developed a significant hearing loss!

So here's part 3 of the saga.

I have to say that today I am still feeling weak and wobbly but then I am only 5 days out so hardly surprising! It's just I don't remember feeling it this much at home before but again, I didn't get home until day 10 so also not surprising. But it's amazing how much it can rock your confidence.

So after the op day, the next day was full of busy, busy! Had dressing changed, drain out, foot pumps off and IV and oxygen removed. What a relief! Then the physios came and got me up to walk.

It quickly became apparent that the femoral block had not yet worn off but the physios told me how to cope with that and to be careful not to walk without somebody in attendance. This was fine until later in the evening when I needed to go to the loo. A rather self-important staff nurse came to see to me and after about 4 steps, decided I was perfectly okay to manage on my own and before I could stop her, she left! So I managed the last few steps on my own, fortunately making sure the arms were down on the loo. Having turned and backed up to the loo, I went to sit down and mistakenly tried to put weight on the left leg which, of course, wasn't 'there'. As a consequence, I took a less than graceful and fearsome stumble onto the toilet where, not being properly positioned, promptly deposited my bladder-full on the floor! I was so unnerved, scared actually, I rang for the nurse and waited what seemed like an age for one to come. It was with some trepidation I got up again and back into bed. Later the nurse who had left me came back to get my meds and when I told her about the tumble and boy! did she ever undergo a personality change! She was on the defensive, insisting that the block was 'out' and no longer effective and that the physios had told her I was okay for weight bearing. When I tried to debate the point she got even more incensed and told me she'd been doing this job for 10 years and knew what she was talking about! I told her I'd been doing it for 50 years and one things I'd learned was to listen to the patient first before applying any blanket protocols or rules. I should say the exchange was 'somewhat heated'! Of course, I ended up in tears!

It was a shame because all the other nurses were so sweet and caring and this one spoiled it!

There was also a contretemps with another physio as I prepared to depart. Having been told I could take the cuff home with me, I drained it to pack it in my case and a physio ran across the room and demanded to know what I was doing. I told her and she insisted I was doing it wrong. Puzzled I let her rant on in the hopes she would eventually explain herself but she didn't. I told her I was taking it home and first she said I couldn't, then said it wouldn't be any use to me. I explained I had a bucket at home and she waved the connecting end of the tube at me saying "you don't understand, you have to have the correct kind of bucket with this connector on it". Even though I said I had she still didn't seem to hear me and eventually stomped off muttering "okay, obviously you know best!" I resisted the temptation to say "Yep - sure do!"
 
I'm sorry you were upset Jo, why is there always one nurse who spoils it? On day 2 I had managed to stack a spare duvet and a pillow the correct way to elevate my leg and ended up in an argument with a nurse who said I couldn't put anything under my knee, she left me with nothing I could fashion into another support, I was very uncomfortable with my knee straight out, and of course, in tears. We are so vulnerable at that stage, most of them are fine, but there always seems to be one! It's a shame your one didn't have the job of cleaning the floor, that might make her think next time.
Take care, lots of rest now, xxx
 
Here's some photos of my op - some are on 'spoiler' so if you don't want to see them, don't click!

Here are the foot pumps that emulate the muscle action to reduce the risk of clots, left has a bootee, right has two calf wraps

[Bonesmart.org] Josephine's knee story


These are photos someone kindly took for me in theatre!

Femoral jig in place

[Bonesmart.org] Josephine's knee story


And the tibial jig
[Bonesmart.org] Josephine's knee story

inserting cement in tibia

[Bonesmart.org] Josephine's knee story

suturing the wound

[Bonesmart.org] Josephine's knee story
 
Josephine I am glad to see that you are home and on your way to recovery...Your presence was missed ....after viewing the photo of your Femoral jig I am glad they did not do that to me....did they? I am kind of hoping the implants were somehow magically installed.... Best Wishes for the speediest recovery and no more tumbles off the loo......:yikes:

Vinny
 
Hi @Josephine I am sorry they put you through all of this . Sounds like my hospital stay. Being you are familiar with how things work it would be so upsetting to see things that you would have shown care to do properly handled so poorly. I think people in the medical profession sometimes loose touch with the fact that they are there to provide people with compassionate care and make their patients comfortable. I do not think many have any idea what there patients are dealing with you are the exception as you have had this surgery and know what it is all about.

Also knowing you deal with many patients and being you understand the care given would be top notch from you. I was very disappointed with my experience this time might have better outcome but worse care. I hope you have an easier time now that you are home and away from all of the other stuff that happened and that you have a smooth , recovery. Not looking to go to a hospital hoping not to for a very long time after this experience. Nice to see you are home and all the best wishes for you. Holly
 
Jo, just think how brave that nurse was to argue with YOU. It's like trying to out-draw Clint Eastwood. Still, maybe she didn't know who you are.
Also had a hypo as didn't have any diabetic meds that day but a couple of tubes of glucose gel soon put that right! However, when the nurse asked if it was okay I had to admit I'd sooner have had a Mars bar!
Back into Education Mode, already.

My medicine helps to prevent HIGH sugar, not low. Low blood sugar AFAIK can be caused the natural way, i.e. by not eating enough, or by overdosing on insulin. I've never heard of lack of diabetic meds causing a low; please enlighten me (I'm a Type 2 taking Metformin and Gliclazide).
 
What would I do or all of us do without bone smart and all of the care we receive. How different my outcome would have been not wanting to think of what would have become of me. My husband would not have let anything hurt me but what would have happened pt would have stayed tough. other then my husband and brother this is the only place that people really understood. I could not wait to write when coming home people who understood so upset and people cared. so many kind words encouraging me so unlike the care that was missing at the hospital sort of a do it yourself stay there. You are one of those wonderful people that helped me understand and remembering when I first wrote to bone smart you told me not to let anyone bully me remembered that for this time did make it clear on meeting pt would not be bullied or pushed. Thanks so much to you Josephine for all of the care you give hoping you have kind care to and as we have you to write and talk to you have all of us to and we care wishing you the best Holly
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I've never heard of lack of diabetic meds causing a low
Well, that's actually correct, Roy. What I get is more of a pseudo hypo really. I believe it's caused more by the gliclazide. I do take quite a high dose, 80mgs twice daily.
 
Jo, I have been so worried about you. I am glad that you are home---even a little wobbly. I also bore the brunt of a knows everything already nurse---I complained---but then they told me that I had been on a lot of meds!!!

Remember to rest and even if your stomach is not telling you to eat---remember that you need to eat with your meds---and to even out that blood sugar. I had to force myself to eat those early days---a unique experience for me, I assure you!!!

I think that most of us on the forum care so much for you and have been worried about your surgery. It is not easy taking care of yourself---but, as we both know---it can be done. I am sure that your new shower looks especially nice right now. I LOVED mine when I got home from the hospital. I say, Thanks Dad, every day.
 
Hi Josephine,
I'm glad you're home and managing all right, even if you are still a bit wobbly. You'll get a little bit stronger each day and, being on your own, you're probably doing more at this stage than most of us did. Just rest as much as you can.

If your appetite is poor, can you try eating small amounts more frequently? I know that, for the first couple of weeks at least, all I wanted was soup and toast. Nutritionally not the best, but OK for a short while!

My goodness, after looking at your photos, I think they should be seen by anyone who expects a TKR patient to bounce back to full health quickly!

Best wishes! :flwrysmile:
 
Glad you are ok Josephine and amazed that you are up to sorting out those photos and posting them for us all.....I had those foot pumps as I've a history of clots.....did well for me too.

You had your own personal photographer too!! Amazing photos.

Shame you had that experience with that nurse.....there is always one that spoils it for the rest who are generally caring. Good job us BoneSmarties weren't there to see her off! She should've known that you were at risk...could've been a nasty outcome but glad all was well in the end.....trouble is it undermines your confidence when you are fragile anyway.

Hope you continue to do well.....thought this picture might make you giggle!
[Bonesmart.org] Josephine's knee story



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Jo, I am am so sorry not to have messaged before, had some trouble with mu computer, but all is well now :-) So pleased you are home and managing at home OK so far. Sorry abouit the idiot nurse though I will try calling tomorrow sometime, have physio sometime, need to check the time then will call you. Lots of love and (((HUGS)_)) coming your way from Canada :console2:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom