Guest viewing is limited

THR Jomarie58 recovery Begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question about the incision. I am almost at 4 weeks. I have no dressing anymore just the left over glue. My incision is about 8 inches long posterior to side of leg and it is $&#* sore! There is a rock hard area under and narrowly around the scar and toward the bottom on the leg. an area about the size of my hand that is swollen.

I was told to press down and massage the incision as much as I can tolerate. Apparently I am not good at tolerating! How much should I be doing this hard press massage? I am still icing periodically to try to help with the swollen area.

Part of my fear is that I do form painful swollen, itchy, hypertrophic scars and have had to have them injected in the past, (scarred due to skin biopsies). but now that we suspect that my AVN and retina damage is due to steroids I won't be able to get injections to shrink scars again. I am so nervous I am going to have gigantic painful scars from these hip surgeries. Sigh.


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
@jomarie58 the first thing I would suggest is that you stop massaging your scar. It is no necessary at all and is probably adding to the swelling. Ice as much as you can. You are only 4 weeks out. The scar will fade to a thin line if you just let nature do its thing.
 
@jomarie58 the first thing I would suggest is that you stop massaging your scar. It is no necessary at all and is probably adding to the swelling. Ice as much as you can. You are only 4 weeks out. The scar will fade to a thin line if you just let nature do its thing.
Thanks Jaycey I will stop massaging.



RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
I am going to give driving a try tomorrow! Very excited! Still using the walker and cane mostly because of my un op left leg. I notice the bone on bone pain and just pray it does not get as bad as the right side got before surgery!

My second hip is set for May 26 at the moment. I get upset about having to go through all this again but I know AVN only gets worse so. ....gotta do it.


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
Hi @jomarie58! I'm sorry to hear that you are having incision issues. I hope you find some relief soon. I never used oil (except for 1 time and it just irritated the area) and now its nearly faded to just a fine line. I know it's hard sometimes, but just try to be patient with it. And, good luck with your driving tomorrow. Your independence is not far off now! Have a wonderful day!
 
Short drive around neighborhood went fine. Will psych up to drive further one day next week. Sideways move was a tad difficult but not painful. Truthfully prior to surgery I was driving to work using my right hand to lift my leg up and move it over so today was way better than that!

I am now at four weeks post op. If I try to walk with no walker or cane I have a terrible limp so I am not doing that too much. It is very depressing. I sure hope that when the left is done I can relearn how to walk. Good news----With the walker my gait feels so much smoother. I am definitely doing better but Trying to transition the cane to my right hand has been really difficult. I used it in my left hand for a bit more than a year but now that my right leg has a new hip it is the left that causes the burning pain so I need to take pressure off it, just feels so damn awkward and I experience that limp. Still feels like I am wearing a high heel on that right leg. The walker seems to minimize that but I really want to get to the point where I do not need it.

A friend took me to Hobby Lobby and I walked the perimeter of the store using the buggy as a walker substitute and golly I could tell that my legs tired out really fast. I know it has been a long time since I have walked or even stood up for very long but I am hoping those muscles won't take too long to come back. Guess I am impatient. Sigh. Had to take a nap after that outing!

Now that I am not sleeping as much and can walk some I am trying to get myself into weight loss mode again. I lost about 30 pounds over the last year and want to take off another 40 at least as I know that will make my post double THR life much easier. I bought some ingredients today and plan to do a little cooking and prep tomorrow. Standing at the counter to chop veggies is something I have not done since last September so I am curious to see how long I can stand before needing to take a break.

Night all!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
@jomarie58
Don't feel too bad about that limp yet, remember you still need the other hip done. I'm in the same boat you are and I'm going to use the walker until I get my second THR completed. I've read that it is much better to keep using the walker until you don't limp with the cane, as the limp will be more engraved in your memory. I started laughing yesterday when I tried the cane because I couldn't decide which hip needed the cane more! :heehee:

Hang in there sister, we will be whole soon enough. :-)
 
Way to go @jomarie58 . Congrats on your driving. I drove today for the first time a short distance. Isn't it great to get some independence back. Dont get too down regarding your gait once your next op is done you won't know yourself.
 
@hipstercoley from your lips to Gods ears! I do hope I will be back to normal in 2017!



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@cynthia7777 I know isn't it hard to decide which hand for the cane! I keep putting it left then after s few steps I realize it should be right.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@jomarie58 I've found that every day brings progress and sometimes mini setbacks. I'm able to do so much more each day but frustration because I get so tired. Sometimes it is like a light switch turns off and I announce "I have to go sleep NOW". As my right leg has begun it's awakening the skin area feel weird and my right knee ( which has never given me a minute's problem in my life) is bruised way more than my anterior incision area and has demanded it's own ice pack. I met a woman in therapy who had had both hips and both knees replaced in the past year. I immediately thought this was going to happen to me because I need both hips done and if my knees have to be destroyed in the process then I'll be lower limb robotic in no time.

My constipation was remedied within a few days of going home. So much stress on the body I guess and no food or drink for about 24 hours, it took a few days to wake up the colon. I cannot imagine having to sit on a low toilet and being comfortable. When I had my pre op class, we were told that knee replacements would have to have the raised seat with handles and that hips, not so much so not to worry if you didn't have one or didn't want to get one. NOT! I really cannot imagine not having the higher toilet with side handles. Ouch. Relaxing at home with your own food and a routine should get you all straightened out.

Hard to understand why the nurses didn't check on your progress and update your DH at least every 30 minutes. It doesn't help the trust in the healthcare team. I found so many little things that I was told would happen during my stay but did not happen and I began to focus on wondering if the nurses even communicated with each other. Luckily, I get to take a survey about my experience. ;)
Congratulations on moving forward. --julie
 
Is it normal that the Drs bruise your knees? I am having my left hip replaced in 3 wks. My left knee is arthritic so I hope the Dr doesn't make it worse.
 
Is it normal that the Drs bruise your knees? I am having my left hip replaced in 3 wks. My left knee is arthritic so I hope the Dr doesn't make it worse.
@Arlene56 as I have read through the posts I have not seen many mentions of knee injury but it may depend on approach. I had posterior and my knees were fine after surgery. Anterior approach though moves limbs around more. So that might be a factor.


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
Short drive around neighborhood went fine. Will psych up to drive further one day next week. Sideways move was a tad difficult but not painful. Truthfully prior to surgery I was driving to work using my right hand to lift my leg up and move it over so today was way better than that!

You sound exactly like me about how you drove pre-surgery. Since surgery, I've driven a couple of times (dropping the car of for service) and do understand why they don't want driving-- it's the internal rotation of the ankle/foot. I think that's part of my old habits compensating for struggling to lift my leg.



Sent from my iPad
 
Headed out for first errands today. It is a lovely sunny day with afternoon temps to be in the 50's. Fingers crossed that my left hip will cooperate!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
@jomarie58 - I'm glad your first driving excursion went fine! Are you driving today for errands as well? Either way, I hope that hip cooperates and you enjoy the nice weather! :SUNsmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom